Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by uptonparkhurst » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:56 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:25 pm
I would argue that it needs to come down here too.

The number of daily cases is now completely irrelevant and is only used by the media to shock and drive fear to either drive ratings or advertising revenue.

The link between cases and hospitalisations appears to have been broken, by a combination of vaccines and the reduced potency of the virus.

Yes hospitalisations are increasing but there doesn't appear to be too much analysis into what those patients are in for, how it compares with 2020, 2019 and 2018 and crucially what are the protocols for front line health worker when they have colds and flu.
It's down to 7 (5 + 2 days of -ve LFT) and apparently BJ is under pressure to reduce it to 5.
It's bound to happen (imo).

In other news,my youngest sister is recovering from covid - and it was Delta. :chin:

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:16 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:24 am
Pete,
If you think that the US are handling this pandemic better than we are then you can't have been paying much attention.
I don't, nor indeed is that what I posted. I made the point that the value of counting cases is being questioned in the US, whereas we still seem fixated. That was all.

Perhaps you should pay attention to what people post before having a pop.

Pete647580
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 108 likes

Post by Pete647580 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:58 pm

Everyone is going to catch it, multiple times.

If you're fully vaccinated you'd have to be very unlucky to suffer more than a nasty case of flu. And lots of people will be very unlucky, just like lots of people died before Covid (approx 10,000 each week in the UK). But the individual risk seems to be relatively low. Remember that 1 in 2 of us will get cancer during our lifetime.

Ideally you don't want to get it when the Health Service is on the brink of collapse (which I don't believe it is).

Given the above, I'm not sure what the purpose of restrictions etc is, apart from preventing the NHS from being overwhelmed in winter.

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:13 pm

Plashet Grove Pete wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:16 pm
I don't, nor indeed is that what I posted. I made the point that the value of counting cases is being questioned in the US, whereas we still seem fixated. That was all.

Perhaps you should pay attention to what people post before having a pop.
How ironic - I acknowledged we were still counting cases SO I DID READ what you posted didn't I?

Knee-jerking,as ever..

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:20 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:13 pm
How ironic - I acknowledged we were still counting cases SO I DID READ what you posted didn't I?

Knee-jerking,as ever..
Pete,
If you think that the US are handling this pandemic better than we are then you can't have been paying much attention.

That's the start of your post. At no point did I even suggest the US were handling this better than us. You decided to have a go based on your own misinterpretation.

Still, you keep digging others out and twisting words to fit your agenda.
Last edited by last.caress on Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Asterisked or not: The name-calling is where it stops, Pete.

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Has liked: 433 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by last.caress » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:01 pm

Thank-you, gentlemen. Let's put a lid on the digging one another out and get back to some nice cosy endless circling around the same old ****, shall we?

Cheers. :newthumb:

:kumbnew:

LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:48 pm

GF tested positive earlier this morning on a LFT. Both been for PCRs this afternoon.

I'm still negative though. This is despite of living in a 1 bed flat sleeping in the same bed.

I thought this was ferociously spreadable?

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 423 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:52 pm

I have cold symptoms but according to the LFT it is just a boring everyday cold. Shame really as I was hoping to get omicron out of the way early this month. I guess I'll have better chance of catching it next weekend when I start going back to the gym.

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 391 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:20 pm

A woman I know had the plague just before Christmas. After a positive home LFT she booked a PCR in the mobile testing station literally across the road from her house. She wandered over to be told "This is a drive in centre, you must arrive in a car. We can't test you unless you drive in."

uptonparkhurst

Post by uptonparkhurst » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:46 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:20 pm
A woman I know had the plague just before Christmas. After a positive home LFT she booked a PCR in the mobile testing station literally across the road from her house. She wandered over to be told "This is a drive in centre, you must arrive in a car. We can't test you unless you drive in."
How f******* ridiculous!

I hope she got her test,in the end.

alf git
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by alf git » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:47 pm

So she lives across the road but doesn't know it's a drive in centre?
I think covid is the least of her problems.

666 hammer
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by 666 hammer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:26 pm

EvilC wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:54 pm
There is no need to imagine here due to the internet:
https://uihc.org/health-topics/do-face- ... on-dioxide
Thanks. I didn't question if humans could survive wearing masks. Do they impact on the cognitive ability of the wearer?

https://www.kane.co.uk/knowledge-centre ... 2-in-rooms
I would suspect that if the co2 levels within the mask are measured, they would not be in the lower ranges.

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 890 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by EvilC » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:29 pm

666 hammer wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:26 pm
Thanks. I didn't question if humans could survive wearing masks. Do they impact on the cognitive ability of the wearer?

I would suspect that if the co2 levels within the mask are measured, they would not be in the lower ranges.
You asked: “ So what level of co2 are the children breathing in whilst wearing facemasks?” followed by a predictable hot take.

The link answers your question.

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 423 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:47 pm

To be honest, it would be very hard to tell if the cognitive ability of the average teenager had been affected.

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:56 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:48 pm
GF tested positive earlier this morning on a LFT. Both been for PCRs this afternoon.

I'm still negative though. This is despite of living in a 1 bed flat sleeping in the same bed.

I thought this was ferociously spreadable?
The PCR might show up positive for you

When this started in my gaff the wife got a positive LFT and I didn't but we both did a PCR the same morning and both ended up being positive - so I got a false negative from the LFT

I then turned an LFT positive the next day

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 242 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:22 pm

666 hammer wrote:

My missus is currently anaemic and is mask exempt as masks have a bad impact on her oxygen levels. Still doesn't stop the self-righteous pricks looking her up and down when she goes into a shop and tutting because she isn't wearing a mask.

She had Covid recently, quite bad for a couple of days but was just groggy after that for about a week. I didn't catch it *touch wood* and my step-daughter hasn't had any jabs is also clear. Really odd, I thought it'd only be a matter of time before we caught it. The track and trace app told me that I need to self-isolate but then got a text saying that I don't need to self-isolate (yeah really confusing).

Samba
Has liked: 1000 likes
Total likes: 368 likes

Post by Samba » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:57 am

Just like a McDonalds drive thru'.. they won't serve you unless you're in a vehicle, or possibly on horseback..
Tbf to the mobile testing station, that is the protocol. I think it's designed to protect the staff from catching it, amongst other possible reasons.

3Dicks
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 3Dicks » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:00 am

I’ve had both original jabs, had covid confirmed PCR in October had about 3 days feeling pretty crap been fine since

I’m now unsure if I ‘need’ the booster or when I should go and have it, I know I ‘can’ have it now as it’s past 28 days since I had covid but surely having fought it off I’ve got a good immune response and don’t need a boost for some time?

666 hammer
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by 666 hammer » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:21 am

Yes, but the science tells us you need a booster so you won't get as ill and reduce the spread despite this doing little in either case. And if you can get the 4th vaccine to protect you against future infections that would be great. And pre book your 5th for summer. One for every season.
Follow the science, don't question it.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 441 likes
Total likes: 1305 likes

Post by -DL- » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:48 am

666 hammer wrote:
Do they impact on the cognitive ability of the wearer?

I bloody hope not. I mean, bugger that surgeon wearing one for 9 1/2 hours whilst he chopped me about. I wonder how good he would have actually been if the **** wasn't wearing a mask? :chin:

I would hazard a guess that the answer to your question is a resounding no...