January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by paulhs1 »

I know he's 31, but £12m for Trippier is quite cheap, especially if he helps to keep Newcastle up
Last edited by paulhs1 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Roby wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:40 pm
Even if we sold Masuaku for a half decent £3m or whatever we’d be short at left back.
I find the Longelo situation intriguing. Thought he was the best of the youngsters against Zagreb and that he also looked promising in pre-season, as he has pace and power and yet he hasn't even been on the bench since then, while Ashby has made his debut in spite of our relative strength at RB.

I wonder what Moyes' thinking is about him?
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Roby wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:46 pm Must be Randolph but probably only for £250k - £500k.

I know we desperately needed a keeper when Roberto was shipping goals but at that age Randolph was a dodgy signing for £3.5m.
I know what you mean, but I remember very vividly the feeling of sheer relief I felt seeing Randolph taking his place in goal after Roberto and Martin. He was much needed at that time, albeit overpriced. And, considering he is not Premier League standard, it shows just how bad things were.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:25 pm Joseph Anang has been recalled from his loan spell at Stevenage. One of the senior 'keepers off somehwere?
Started the season really well, was highly thought of by support, then new manager came in, brought in an experienced head on a free transfer and dropped Anang.

They've now just signed the goalkeeper who played under the new manager at his old club so arguably drops Anang to 3rd choice so recalling him is best option.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Sir_Trevor wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:58 pm I know what you mean, but I remember very vividly the feeling of sheer relief I felt seeing Randolph taking his place in goal after Roberto and Martin. He was much needed at that time, albeit overpriced. And, considering he is not Premier League standard, it shows just how bad things were.
I don't think Randolph was overpriced at all, it was less than what we sold him for.

More to the point I think we essentially just cancelled the debt rather than actually paying any real money.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

OohAahButler wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:48 pm Question: how far does player power stretch? For example, if we offered £5m for Lingard and Newcastle offers £15m - but the player insisted he wanted to come to us, would he get his way?
For the transfer to go ahead, 2 things have to happen: 1) selling club accept the fee, 2) player agrees to go to the buying club. If either of those fail to happen, there is no transfer. If you example, if Lingard won't extend his contract (which seems likely, as talk allegedly broke down, and he's barely been used all season), and he insists he'll only go to us, then the Manc have a choice - either accept the £5m now or lose him for nothing in the summer, after paying him for 6 months (1.5-2m) and barely playing him. The player can't force the Mancs to see to us, but he can prevent them selling to anyone else.

If that is the case, the Mancs don't hold a lot of cards - they're just burning money by having him sitting in the squad not playinh. They could dig their heels in and not let him go to a rival for 4th-6th, but they're probably arrogant enough to not consider us a viable rival. Or they could cut their losses and take a loan fee or a small purchase fee, before losing him on a free.
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

OohAahButler wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:48 pm Question: how far does player power stretch? For example, if we offered £5m for Lingard and Newcastle offers £15m - but the player insisted he wanted to come to us, would he get his way?
Yes. He can simply buy his contract out now, which I should think is way under £5m. We can then give him that money back under his signing on fee
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Is a player 'buying himself out of his contract' a legal right? How does it work? Can he do it without the agreement of his club?
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I freely admit, that I know nothing about 90% of these players speculated about on here. If they don't play in the Premiership, I have no idea whatsoever.

However, what I do know is that Moyes will only accept a certain type of player who adheres to a few must haves. These are:

1) Are not back up but, instantly, can or could add quality as a first team player
2) Are not prone to injury
3) Are willing to work hard for the team with well above 'normal' running and fitness stats
4) Happy to defend and do the dirty stuff if midfield/attacker or be comfortable on the ball with good distribution as defender
5) Be both available and offer value for money

Now, if any of these players meet that criteria I am interested. If not, why the hell are you speculating on them for as we will not sign them.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 979 likes

Post by e17 »

Newcastle get to postpone a load of games before January, and then get to play them with Trippier, Lingard etc signed, and fully refurbished to avoid relegation.

Appalling.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I had never previously noted just how short Randolph was for a GK, until I watched him keep goal for us, in our match at the end of last season, when we won 3-1 at West Brom. Just after they scored the opener, they launched another attack and forced a corner. Up went one of their bloke's and he put in a soft, looping heade which was going in, right underneath the bar. Randy at full stretch, dived upwards and just about got enough on it, to tip it over, but he was at maximum full stretch to keep it out. For a taller keeper, it would've been a routine save
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Garry wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:03 pm Everton have now signed 2 players in 4 days thats the way to do it Patterson 16 million from rangers there 2nd one
I prefer the Dire Straits version myself.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

That Trippier fee is very low. It may set a precedent that Newcastle aren’t going to inflate the market. That is very bad news for Everton who have to sell about £50M of players or face FFP penalties. That is why they will only accept a loan for Digne if it has an Obligation to buy. They may actually have shot themselves in the foot by buying their fullbacks early. The FFP penalties are no joke, Barcelona can’t register Torres even though they just paid €55M for him. They have to get €200k/ week, plus Torres wages off the wage bill before they can register him. To make matters worse, they will likely be in worse shape next year because they have lost a year of Messi related revenue and have failed to make the knockout stages of the Champions league.
We have about £75M in signing room, and a lot in wage room, and that will likely go up next year as we have higher revenues.
$purs have a ton of room to buy players, but with limited actual money, and Arsenal are going to be curtailed by wages unless they can shift Aubameyang.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

e17 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:26 pm Newcastle get to postpone a load of games before January, and then get to play them with Trippier, Lingard etc signed, and fully refurbished to avoid relegation.

Appalling.
I'm starting to really ****ing hate football as a whole. Like, proper.

Like F1 has become, it's verging on a complete farce.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Gsbgsb wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:33 pm The over simplification is to think another striker immediately improves the teams overall performance. We finished 6th in the calendar year since Haller left yet we were 3rd in terms of goals scored. Every team above us conceded fewer and the table reflects the goal difference (ie we had the 6th worst).

Our “striker” had 24 goal involvements only Salah had more of players who played the whole year in the PL. Finding a striker who will make us “better in attack” is going to be hard (same involvements as Kane and look at what he is worth). As for defend from the front etc then Antonio (unlike Haller) is right up there for me.

Not having cover for Haller is an issue when we do not have other goal scoring alternatives (eg Lingard) but over the calendar year our performances were more impacted by our failure to stop them at the defensive end rather than score them.

Antonio is ageing and will need replacing but until we become more secure at the back we are unlikely to see considerable improvement in our league position.
I don't think any of that proves we dont need another forward though? The point was that we've failed to replace Haller. We absolutely need another attacking option, it will help improve that area of the pitch, which flows down to the rest. Energy, as much as anything, but also the way to deal with different opponents and changes in games too. So, again, the failure to stop them comes from the team, not just the defensive "end" of the pitch.

I have no issue saying we need defenders, we do, I just hate the "goals conceded means defenders needed" argument. It just isn't a real argument, your team is failing as a whole - and over that time period we cant be blaming individuals like Diop and Masuaku. With no cover, we are flogging Antonio, and then limiting ourselves.

We need three players, ideally. Dawson will do for now, but Diop and Johnson/Masuaku is a solution that costs us so I 100% agree we need defenders, it just doesn't mean we dont need attackers - or that those longer term stats show it's the defenders we need to just concern ourselves with. We'll attack better with a better defence and defend better with a better attack.
WestSam
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by WestSam »

Italian Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:37 pm I prefer the Dire Straits version myself.
Get some Czechs for free ?
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Really good article on Barca’s issues with FFP. Something similar to what could happen to Everton if they don’t sell £50M of players
https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona-e ... round-debt
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Does anybody know if Lingard played for Manure in Europe this year? And if he did does that affect him playing in Europa for us?

If Manure play him this weekend in the FA cup that will also be signal to suitors.

Thoughts?
👍
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 879 likes

Post by mushy »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:10 pm Does anybody know if Lingard played for Manure in Europe this year? And if he did does that affect him playing in Europa for us?

If Manure play him this weekend in the FA cup that will also be signal to suitors.

Thoughts?
👍
Lingard can play in The Europa cup.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:10 pm Does anybody know if Lingard played for Manure in Europe this year? And if he did does that affect him playing in Europa for us?

Thoughts?
👍