FAC3: West Ham Utd 2-0 Leeds Utd (9/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by -DL- »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:23 pm I would rather play a weekened team v Norwich than against Leeds in FA Cup.
The FA Cup may well be the reason all these loanees are making a return to the club, providing they're not cup tied of course.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'd expect 5 or 6 different starters for this one compared to the team that started at Palace.

Areola, Fredericks, Masuaku, Vlasic, Fornals and maybe Noble in contention.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:23 pm I would rather play a weekened team v Norwich than against Leeds in FA Cup.
3 games in 6 days!

I think Moyes will see the Leeds league game as the toughest test of the 3 and will take that into account when picking his 11.

I dont see how we can play both Diop and Dawson in all 3 games so think he may use Alese at some point.
Then give yarmo, Ashby, Frederick's, Kral, Vlasic and Noble some game time too.

Some sensible use of the squad is required.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Let's win the first game with a strong side.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:37 pm 3 games in 6 days!

I think Moyes will see the Leeds league game as the toughest test of the 3 and will take that into account when picking his 11.

I dont see how we can play both Diop and Dawson in all 3 games so think he may use Alese at some point.

I dont see why he cant play Dawson and Diop in all 3 games??
Diogenes
Has liked: 478 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:37 pm 3 games in 6 days!

Its actually 3 games in 7 days, so loads more time. But I take your point.
However, I think the real question is are we happier risking a cup run than 3 points against a team bottom of the league?
It seems to me that many are prioritising league position against cups. Which is fine, but seems to be a change of tune to our usual gripes.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:25 pm Its actually 3 games in 7 days, so loads more time. But I take your point.
However, I think the real question is are we happier risking a cup run than 3 points against a team bottom of the league?
It seems to me that many are prioritising league position against cups. Which is fine, but seems to be a change of tune to our usual gripes.
I just think that some are now coming round to the notion of squad rotation being a huge part of the game, especially for teams trying to fight on 2-3 fronts as we currently are.

All about risk/reward, getting the best out of the squad and taking calculated risks.

The bottom line is thst we aim to win all 3 games, if we can still achieve that goal by rotating the squad during what will be a busy period then I'm all for it.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:25 pm Its actually 3 games in 7 days, so loads more time. But I take your point.
Its not just about prioritisation I think.
It's about calculated risk against which are the tougher games. If you want to compete on multiple fronts you have to go in at 80% in some games so you are stronger in others.

We should be able to use the squad to some extent when at home to the worst team in the league.

We should also be able to use the squad to some extent when at home to the 5th worst team in the league who are ravaged by injuries.

Leeds for me is the tougher game. They have sharper teeth and it's a no pressure game.

Norwich being the middle game of the 3 makes more sense to rest players also (not wholesale - just a few).
Antonio for example is better off playing Sun-Sat than Sun-Wed or Wed-Sat.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Sorry Paul and Elbrooko, you are confusing an old man here. I feel sure our league game against Leeds is on Sunday not Saturday :eh:
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

on the contrary ,lets not take this fixture for granted, we cant be dropping points against Norwich at home . we must do everything we can to secure the 3pnts .
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:40 pm Sorry Paul and Elbrooko, you are confusing an old man here. I feel sure our league game against Leeds is on Sunday not Saturday :eh:
We do indeed play Sunday, Wednesday and then Sunday so its 3 games in 7 days.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:42 pm We do indeed play Sunday, Wednesday and then Sunday so its 3 games in 7 days.
Phew :phew:
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:40 pm Sorry Paul and Elbrooko, you are confusing an old man here. I feel sure our league game against Leeds is on Sunday not Saturday :eh:
Sorry thought the Leeds prem game was sat.
Extra day! but I still think the same.
I'd be looking at these 3 games as a set of fixtures as we don't have any mid-weeks for a bit after these 3
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

Play strongest team in all 3 games. re the CB's, we will in all likelyhood have a new CB with us soon, so there is no reason they both cant play all 3 games. Likewise Antonio as I would be shocked if we do not sign a striker soon.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

honkytonk wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:51 pm Play strongest team in all 3 games. re the CB's, we will in all likelyhood have a new CB with us soon, so there is no reason they both cant play all 3 games. Likewise Antonio as I would be shocked if we do not sign a striker soon.
What about if Antonio playing all 3 games in quick succession means he is ineffective for the 3rd game ( or even the second).

Bowen for example might only be 60% as good as Antonio upfront.
But if Antonio is only playing at 50% you are better with Bowen.

Sometimes a lesser player playing well is better than a superior playing badly.

Johnson was out for 3-4 games then has been subbed in both since back.
Soucek has looked tired this season, played the most minutes and covers the most distance. If we expect to control the ball vs Norwich is Noble a better choice than Soucek (so Tom is ready for the next one).

Strongest team is relative to condition and opponents.

*I realise some people think the same best 11 can play every game.
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:06 pm What about if Antonio playing all 3 games in quick succession means he is ineffective for the 3rd game ( or even the second).

Bowen for example might only be 60% as good as Antonio upfront.
But if Antonio is only playing at 50% you are better with Bowen.

Sometimes a lesser player playing well is better than a superior playing badly.

Johnson was out for 3-4 games then has been subbed in both since back.
Soucek has looked tired this season, played the most minutes and covers the most distance. If we expect to control the ball vs Norwich is Noble a better choice than Soucek (so Tom is ready for the next one).

Strongest team is relative to condition and opponents.

*I realise some people think the same best 11 can play every game.
What about if Antonio plays all 3 games and is on form??

The comment about playing the best 11 every game, if meant as a dig is pretty childish. At the same time there are some who seem intent on players having breaks!! I dont think we have looked sluggish in any game recently. There have been mistakes that people put down as "tired" mistakes, but lets be honest, we have been making them all season (dawson/Diop)

Like I said, Id expect a new striker to be with us soon, so Antonio can start the next 2, maybe 3, knowing we have a decent replacement with us now.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

honkytonk wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:15 pm What about if Antonio plays all 3 games and is on form??

The comment about playing the best 11 every game, if meant as a dig is pretty childish. At the same time there are some who seem intent on players having breaks!! I dont think we have looked sluggish in any game recently. There have been mistakes that people put down as "tired" mistakes, but lets be honest, we have been making them all season (dawson/Diop)

Like I said, Id expect a new striker to be with us soon, so Antonio can start the next 2, maybe 3, knowing we have a decent replacement with us now.
Wasn't a dig at all mate. I genuinely think it's horses for courses with the "best team" and you (in general, not you specifically) need to look at the bigger picture.

End of the day none of us have any input in team selection but I don't think Antonio has 3 games in a row in him. We might be 4 nil up in the cup game and he comes off early, it's all speculative.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

You simply cannot expect Mickey to be firing on all cylinders if you ask him to play all 3 games.

As for Diop and Dawson, we just cant afford any injuries.
honkytonk

Post by honkytonk »

:fingerr:
El brooko79 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:19 pm Wasn't a dig at all mate. I genuinely think it's horses for courses with the "best team" and you (in general, not you specifically) need to look at the bigger picture.

End of the day none of us have any input in team selection but I don't think Antonio has 3 games in a row in him. We might be 4 nil up in the cup game and he comes off early, it's all speculative.
Apologies then mate, the reading voice in my head was obviously more sarcastic than meant!!

I get the argument about Antonio. The CBs as an example, I'd start both for all 3. Injuries are a risk but, we are in the window now so if they are gonna happen, nows as good a time as any. I would like to see Kral get some game time though in midfield.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

honkytonk wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:41 pm :fingerr:

Apologies then mate, the reading voice in my head was obviously more sarcastic than meant!!

I get the argument about Antonio. The CBs as an example, I'd start both for all 3. Injuries are a risk but, we are in the window now so if they are gonna happen, nows as good a time as any. I would like to see Kral get some game time though in midfield.
Tbh my delivery is not always the best so all good.
Was meant to imply that we all have an opinion and no subjective opinion can ever really be wrong!

Yep no choice with CBs and Kral needs good minutes or he is truly just considered a last resort..