January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by steveyrockstar »

Turtlecharityracer: inconveniently, the only poster not repeatedly getting the 'invalid form submission' login error. :grin:
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Ethanadict wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:02 pm
I think he deserves immense credit so far as one of our kids supporting the usual first team seniors when unavailable, so I'm really shocked to see people negativity towards him on here.
Tbf, I think it's only the one, obvious and obsessive troll being negative.

He is young with plenty to learn obviously, but is 2 footed with good pace and defensive skills, which stands him in good stead and makes it ridiculous for anyone with a modicum of sense or knowledge of football, to write him off at this early stage.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

No matter who or what picks the transfer targets, it seems Sully is still doing the negotiating. It is reported that we put in a bid for 6m euros on Flamengo striker Barbosa while his release clause is 33m. Seriously? They considered it absurd and probably think we are a bunch of Mickey Mouse chancers, which of course Sully is. When will we ever get rid of that absolutely embarrassing twat who was, is and always will be an humiliation to our club. I suspect he is fannying around with any Lingard talks too or it would have been done and dusted long before now ready for the new year. You have to feel for Moyes.
Last edited by Hamburger on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

1. Dawson
2. Phillips
3. Diop

All absolutely crap on the ball.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Anyone in Europe would be mad to pay that fee for Gabigol, and whilst I don't believe he's a genuine target, I'm not going to sit here and criticise the club for potentially protecting themselves, with a loan to buy, even if it was true.

If anything it's agent talk, or a classic smokescreen on our part, whilst we pursue our main target.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Hamburger wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:29 pm No matter who or what picks the transfer targets, it seems Sully is still doing the negotiating. It is reported that we put in a bid for 6m euros on Flamengo striker Barbosa while his release clause is 33m. Seriously? They considered it absurd and probably think we are a bunch of Mickey Mouse chancers, which of course Sully is. When will we ever get rid of that absolutely embarrassing twat who was, is and always will be an humiliation to our club. I suspect he is fannying around with any Lingard talks too or it would have been done and dusted long before now ready for the new year. You have to feel for Moyes.
That's not what has been reported at all

The 6 million was a 18 month loan fee, not an outright bid
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:25 pm The only snag is that I can imagine Burnley wanting a bit more than 7 for Tarkowski.
No doubt, :)

They are running out of road though, imo. Contract under six months, and the most realistic alternative buyer is a direct competitor in the relegation battle. Their loss at Leeds has really opened a gap from lower midtable to relegation battle.

It won't happen, but there's a viable logic to it.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:26 pm Sarr would be on loan initially.

Tarkowski is known to be a Moyes choice.

Those two plus Cabral and Lingard would probably be £30m , all in.

Probably allow Yarmolenko to go, plus open minded about Fredericks and Masuaku - with a think about the centre backs in the summer.
It sounds plausible Bubbs

The bit I’m least confident about is actually whether Moyes still wants Tarkowski. He was a fan but we were in a different place in the league and perhaps had lower expectations/reputation, Tarkowski is a bit older and we now have Zouma.

I think there is a genuine thing about our progression and ball retention with a centre back comfortable on the left side, neither Zouma nor Tarkowski look that to me. I know people say that some very successful teams have used two right footed CB’s but the high press and new rules around short goal kicks seem to have tipped the balance of importance imo - especially when our core centre midfield is more of a combative than playmaker make-up. We seem to rely a lot on CB’s to get the ball to full backs or wingbacks in a progressed state on the pitch when we are at our most effective.

I want to say we should sign Nathan Ake but given my prior record of advocating a player meaning our chances of signing them go from slim to absolute zilch I won’t. :D
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Cabral 10m
Tarkowski 8m
Philips 10m
Lloyd Kelly 20m or Sarr 20m
Caleta Carr loan
Lingard 10m

Players out there fir us
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

westlondonhammer wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:33 pm That's not what has been reported at all

The 6 million was a 18 month loan fee, not an outright bid
Absolutely correct, I missed the loan part. Makes more sense now.
7713Hammer
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by 7713Hammer »

I am Legend wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:04 pm Gabigol is desperate to succeed in Europe. He is angry with himself for how he was when young and has said his attitude has changed and wants to work very hard to become a top player.
Source?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:38 pm It sounds plausible Bubbs

The bit I’m least confident about is actually whether Moyes still wants Tarkowski. He was a fan but we were in a different place in the league and perhaps had lower expectations/reputation, Tarkowski is a bit older and we now have Zouma.

I think there is a genuine thing about our progression and ball retention with a centre back comfortable on the left side, neither Zouma nor Tarkowski look that to me. I know people say that some very successful teams have used two right footed CB’s but the high press and new rules around short goal kicks seem to have tipped the balance of importance imo - especially when our core centre midfield is more of a combative than playmaker make-up. We seem to rely a lot on CB’s to get the ball to full backs or wingbacks in a progressed state on the pitch when we are at our most effective.

I want to say we should sign Nathan Ake but given my prior record of advocating a player meaning our chances of signing them go from slim to absolute zilch I won’t. :D
When Moyes referenced a player "club wouldn't sell" - Tarkowski was one that immediately sprang to mind.

I just wonder whether the Leeds defeat has changed the thinking at Burnley. Tarkowski had a 'mare and the league table suddenly looks like three from four to drop, and one of them is stuffed with Saudi money. They can't turn a blind eye to where they are and where the player contract situation is.

I think Sarr looks like a younger, cheaper version of Ake in terms of the position(s) played and his stature.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

On sky sports news they are saying we will not get gabidol as 2 premiership clubs and zenith St petersburg will pay outright for him and not a loan
Mullhull
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Billy Bonds boots wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:14 pm We seem to leave everything till the last, when all that's left are the dregs but we tried, we shouid go in for the players He wants, give em a couple of days to decide then move on don't wait most of the window to be let down, a striker is a must some shouid have been lined up by now ( this is why I think it's lingard and he won't be signed till after our match with them ) we need a left back too for cover, get them in now then bed them in for the cup game what's Newman doing sitting on his hands :newthumb:
Again another one talking about Newman... He's been at the club for a few months...

Words from the man himself....

What is important, from a recruitment point of view, is that we give him as many options as possible. We find out what type of players he likes in each position, and we scour the world to find those players to put in front of him.

Then, we’ll do our due diligence, firstly by the department, and then obviously bring the manager and staff in, as we progress further down the line.

I’m not being detrimental to the old scouting system, but old scouts would come to a game with their notepad and pen, they’d take it out for the game, write a few notes, and put it back in their pocket, and then wouldn’t get it out until the next game.

It’s massively evolved now. Not only do you have to go out and watch the games, you also have to come back and you have to work on software, making clips and making it easier for us as a department, and then ultimately for the manager, to look at certain clips, both positive and negative, pretty much straight away.

I want people in the department who are going to have the same work ethic as myself and the manager, and then hopefully, over a period of time, we will get that base of knowledge to start with, and as we go forward over the years, that base will just become bigger and bigger with information on players.

He is explaining, he needs the staff, he needs the data and after a period of time it will bear fruit.... He wasn't allowed to just take all the data all his tools he's worked with for 12 years at Man City. That's why he was put on gardening leave, he was an asset who had access to data which he could have taken to a competitior.

People really need to understand things instead of just assuming he's sat around scratching his balls.

Have some patience and understand that they have that job because they know what they are doing, more so than you do.

It was bad enough in the summer when some fans thought it was a consipracy he was placed on gardening leave and wouldn't be able to be involved in the Summer window, like it was a ploy by our owners to not spend any money :crylol:
Last edited by Mullhull on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Garry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:49 pm On sky sports news they are saying we will not get gabidol as 2 premiership clubs and zenith St petersburg will pay outright for him and not a loan
Good
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

S-H wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:33 pm Anyone in Europe would be mad to pay that fee for Gabigol, and whilst I don't believe he's a genuine target, I'm not going to sit here and criticise the club for potentially protecting themselves, with a loan to buy, even if it was true.

If anything it's agent talk, or a classic smokescreen on our part, whilst we pursue our main target.
He has clearly got a very hard working agent cos his name suddenly comes up for a host of clubs every window.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:46 pm When Moyes referenced a player "club wouldn't sell" - Tarkowski was one that immediately sprang to mind.

I just wonder whether the Leeds defeat has changed the thinking at Burnley. Tarkowski had a 'mare and the league table suddenly looks like three from four to drop, and one of them is stuffed with Saudi money. They can't turn a blind eye to where they are and where the player contract situation is.

I think Sarr looks like a younger, cheaper version of Ake in terms of the position(s) played and his stature.
Wouldn’t surprise me to see Tarkowski move on. Lots of comments have been that he has value to Burnley until the end of the season and they need to weigh up sale price versus chances of staying up. The problem is that players form often drops off when they approach bosman as they are conscious of getting injured etc. I suspect that is happening with Tarkowski. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Everton, Leicester or Villa go in for him if Burnley do entertain offers that low.

I could defo see us going for Sarr 👍🏻
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

Also, mod voice: Discuss transfer targets, not targets for posting ire, please. If you feel the need, use the report button or, maybe more pertinently, the foe button. Yes, yes, quotes, I know.

:kumb:
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

Transfer window special, Day 5: Lloyd Kelly (by Callum Goodall & Jack Elderton)
https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=44206
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Sarr starts tonight in a strong Chelsea back 4 against a full strength Spurs. Good chance to see how he looks.