What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Arnold Layne »

I also,like Toast. Has Matt Berry ever made a bad show? Mighty Boosh,Garth Merenghi,What We Do In The Shadows,Year of the Rabbit etc.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Having watched about 3 episodes of Toast of London, it is very hit and miss so far but there's plenty of belly laughs.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Arnold Layne wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:39 pm Has Matt Berry ever made a bad show?
Yes.

See below.

Arnold Layne wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:39 pmMighty Boosh,Garth Merenghi,What We Do In The Shadows,Year of the Rabbit etc.
OFT
Has liked: 3239 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:02 am I'd be interested to see what people think of The Tourist once they've seen all six episodes.

Glad we saw it all the way through but for me it didn't fulfil the promise of its earlier episodes and by the end became a bit wtf. Anyway, eager to hear what you chaps and chappesses think of the concluding episodes and indeed how its concludes.
Watched the last 2 last night.
Not sure if they've left a way to another series, or if they should with that ending but those LSD sequences were deliciously bonkers.

Loved every barmy minute of all episodes.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Screw CH4

New dark-comedy drama about the lives of prison guards and one in particular that is a newby guard that appears to be up to no good. Really liked it, definitely worth a viewing.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:02 am I'd be interested to see what people think of The Tourist once they've seen all six episodes.

Glad we saw it all the way through but for me it didn't fulfil the promise of its earlier episodes and by the end became a bit wtf. Anyway, eager to hear what you chaps and chappesses think of the concluding episodes and indeed how its concludes.
I was ready to pack in after 3 episodes, but stuck with it, and glad we did as it definitely picked up towards the end, for me.

:newthumb:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:02 am Screw CH4

New dark-comedy drama about the lives of prison guards and one in particular that is a newby guard that appears to be up to no good. Really liked it, definitely worth a viewing.
Yep agreed, looks like it has legs this one

I’m struggling to keep up with all the new dramas at the moment, Sky Q is busting at the seams
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Super Dooper Alice Cooper I'm a massive Cooper fan, but the first half of this docmentary was so sugar sweet I was going to abandon it. However it progressed to his drink and drug addition, his split personality, how he was shitty to the band and how in general, he was pretty horrible drunk git.

He got over it all, got off drink and drugs, sorted his personality out and is now a sober decent bloke.

There were lots of first hand stories here, factual evidence and interesting snippits. If you are, like me, a Cooper fan, it's worth a watch.

Predator 2. I loved Predator 1, but I think is is one of the rare cases where the sequel is better than the priginal. Danny Glover basically carries this film on his own and make a great fist of it. I really enjoyed it despite seeing in numerous times.

League of Extrordinary Gentlemen.
Seen it many times and is always worth a rewatch UIMHO. A bit of a marmite film, people love it or hate it. I loved it and though Connery et al make this film a real actioner.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1193 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Finished The Tourist tonight. Really enjoyed it.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3198 likes

Post by WCpete »

Book of Boba ep 2. It's a mid 20th century cowboys and indians show? Where are they going with this? Weird.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1665 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:20 am Book of Boba ep 2. It's a mid 20th century cowboys and indians show? Where are they going with this? Weird.

the Mandalorian was basically High Noon start off, opening credits were The High Chapparal and the rest was any Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western. or The Magnificent Seven without the other 5.

:crylol:
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Quite a lot of stuff recently as I am slowly becoming a hermit

Succession (Sky) - Season 1 epi1-6 - I have given up on this, I don't see what the fuss is all about (its me, not you guys). I just found it boring and generally lacklustre. It is not the normal thing I watch but was hoping to like it (if only to fit in ;) )but no, not enough Elf's, Dragons or spaceships for me.

Harley Quinn - Season 1 and 2 (Don't know) - Animated adult series from the DC world features a pretty high end voice cast including Alan Tudyk and Kalay Cuoco. I'm still a bit wary of Adult animation, not sure a 43 year old me should be watching it.

However I grew to like this show (especially season 2). Yes it has an element of 'girl power' that is very common these days (and has upset some online) but it is a show about a women so would be difficult no to (though I have seen complaints that there are too many men in it, so no pleasing people I suppose). Season 3 is out later this year and I'll acquire it.

Wheel of Time - Season 1 (Amazon Prime) - A pretty big budget GoT meets LotR (the LotR influences are wide and many, but if you are going to borrow, do it from the best).

I've never read or heard of the books before but it is fantasy, magic, wizards and politics. Seen as Amazons GoT (which is isn't). Not sure what to say about this, it was both too long and too short at the same time. They could have easily cut out loads of 'fluff' from it but left me with questions (particularly about the One Power and the wielders of it.).

The ending was not landed well either I thought. Was ok but nothing more, I hope for greater things from the Tolkien influenced Amazon series coming soon.

The Discovery of Witches - Season 3 (Sky Max) - More supernatural stuff - final instalment of a pretty decent 'creatures' show. Season 3 is only 7 episodes long (Covid and cast pregnancy got in the way) . It manages to resolve the plotlines in a fairly decent way and does conclude in a satisfactory manner. It is not amazing but is a pretty solid supernatural show.

Star Trek: Lower Decks - Season 2 (Amazon Prime) - The remaining five episodes of this animated ST series. Season 1 was good, this carries on in the same vain. It is aimed at nerds, so many references to previous shows (Skin of evil prank is brilliant). Fun look at the ST universe with some proper old school Star Trek style 'lessons' thrown in.

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (Amazon Prime) - Sequel to the pretty funny The Hitman's bodyguard. This one was more of the same with more Salma Hayek thrown in. Thought it was crap which is amazing, you've got Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman on the screen but the content is poor, how do you manage that? Just 100minutes of the same jokes, bad language and general nonsense. The first one worked, this imho didn't.

Going to start of Season 4 part 1 of Star Trek Burnham (sorry Discovery) today, my hopes are not high (seen some reviews) but I've never missed a Trek show.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

That programme about Dubai and the ex pats enjoying the high life. God, there are right obnoxious knob heads and bell ends amongst them
OFT
Has liked: 3239 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:04 pm That programme about Dubai and the ex pats enjoying the high life. God, there are right obnoxious knob heads and bell ends amongst them
Watched that too and you ain't wrong.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Finished Dexter - New Blood last night, this series felt more like the Dexter I enjoyed before it jumped the shark, the finale was ok, despite the obvious plot holes.

Maybe my standards were low, but overall I thought it was decent, killed some time anyway..

wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:57 pm Finished Dexter - New Blood
Next on my list after Star Trek. Never seen the original so will be interesting.
S-H

Post by S-H »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:11 pm Never seen the original so will be interesting.
Don't fancy starting from the beginning then?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:14 pm Don't fancy starting from the beginning then?
9 series (including the new one) seems a bit daunting to be honest. If I really like this new one, then maybe. Also hopefully I'll be in work soon, so can't spend my existence consuming large parts of Netflix and Amazon Prime.
S-H

Post by S-H »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:17 pm 9 series (including the new one) seems a bit daunting to be honest. If I really like this new one, then maybe. Also hopefully I'll be in work soon, so can't spend my existence consuming large parts of Netflix and Amazon Prime.
You have to start from S1... Surely!!

You're sending my OCD into overdrive!!

wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:26 pm You have to start from S1... Surely!!
My understanding was that 'New Blood' is a soft reboot and allows for new viewers, is this not true? If it was just a season 9 I wouldn't bother with it.