January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator :  Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 793 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by OFT » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:13 pm

Felixstowesfinest wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:52 pm
Do you think elite players at our club ie rice are kept in the loop come transfers to appease them?
I hope not.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Post by S-H » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:14 pm

Felixstowesfinest wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:52 pm
Do you think elite players at our club ie rice are kept in the loop come transfers to appease them?
In the loop?

Up until recently, Soucek was our bloody chief scout.

OohAahButler
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by OohAahButler » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm

Aceface wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:08 pm
I understand what you're saying but Cresswell is the weakest defender in our first choice defence. And our defence lets in too many goals. Those two things make him the obvious candidate in the starting XI to be upgraded.

....despite his public reputation reaching Roberto Carlos levels of esteem over the last month.
I like Cresswell, and I don’t see him as a particularly weak link. Indeed, I think he’s been a major factor in our success this season and last.

I suspect that Moyes feels the same.

GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Aceface wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:08 pm
I understand what you're saying but Cresswell is the weakest defender in our first choice defence. And our defence lets in too many goals. Those two things make him the obvious candidate in the starting XI to be upgraded.

....despite his public reputation reaching Roberto Carlos levels of esteem over the last month.
Got to disagree, think Cresswell has been one of our most consistent performers for the last 18 months and I genuinely only think there’s only a handful of LBs better than him in the league.

In saying that I’d have still wanted us to have go in for Digne as I think he is in that handful that is better (only just) but also he’s a couple of years younger.

Shaun Newton
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Shaun Newton » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:45 pm

El brooko79 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:33 pm
This sort of transfer really interests me.
20 years old, first choice player for Sporting - starts all available games for them in the CL and domestic. U21 destined as a senior international.

Do we have the pull to be a bigger fish for players like that?
Didn't Diop tick all these boxes too when we signed him?

Ding
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ding » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:51 pm

Those who criticise Moyes's supposed missing out of Digne still don't get him. It's not about when Cresswell is coming back. It's not about getting anyone in time for Man U or whatever. Moyes will try to get us to top 4 this season but he is ultimately building a club with a strategic view of 3/4 years in mind. Thus Digne is never gonna fit given his age and wage demands. He is too old tp be an investment and cost too much to be a short term fix. Given his "builder" mentality, he would much prefer a younger LB, preferably who can also play CH (cos he likes a small squad) - like Lloyd Kelly.

And he will wait if he needs to.

Our gaffer doesn't like prima donnas. He doesn't like whingers. He doesn't mind making do until the right one is available. He doesn't like spending money, even other people's money. He will build a side in his own image - tough, hardworking, determined, clever and punches above its own weight.

Be patient. We are in good hands.

Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm

Aceface wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:00 pm
C&H claiming Zouma would have been an outside chance to make the squad against Norwich if he didn't have covid.
Now, we just need to hope that he hasn't got the lesser-known Devonshire variant or we might never see him again. :winker:

D C
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by D C » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm

Take our first choice back 4 and tell me with a straight face that Cresswell isn’t the weak link there. It must just be a complete coincidence that teams continually target him then.

If not an established starter like Digne then we at least need a good prospect there to push for the starting place. Johnson isn’t a long term solution there and Moyes doesn’t seem to rate Longelo or he doesn’t think he’s ready and Arthur? The less said the better nowadays.

Some work needs doing at full back but it probably won’t happen until the summer. We need someone to take Arthur and Fredericks off our hands for a start.

El brooko79
Has liked: 424 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by El brooko79 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm

Shaun Newton wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:45 pm
Didn't Diop tick all these boxes too when we signed him?
Wasn't playing in the CL.
Toulouse don't have European pedigree or a history of trophies so we were a step up (because of premier league mainly).

My question was more can we expect to be a bigger pull than Sporting Lisbon and take their players?

CockneyRebel
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by CockneyRebel » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:53 pm

A good round-up of the current injury situation and latest stance on transfers by Jack Rosser in the Evening Standard here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 75861.html

Sounds like Zouma should be back for Man U, Cresswell still unsure and we're still looking at a new CB.

Essexmaniac
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Essexmaniac » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:01 pm
Now that I'm finally logged in, can I be the first to say that Zagadou is the player we need to push pineapple and grind coffee.

EDIT: when I say 'first', I obviously mean fifth or sixth.
Now that I have finally logged in can I express my concerns over the arrival of Roger Johnson.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Wilko1304 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Steinberg confirms Dawson is playing with an injury in his Zouma article. He mentions Phillips and Kelly, but says unlikely to move for Tarkowski this month.

Also mentions competition for Antonio, but Brereton-Diaz too expensive this month.

D C
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by D C » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:58 pm

Lloyd Kelly has had 3 hamstring injuries in the last 3 seasons and Bournemouth would probably want a decent return on the £14m they paid for him so based on that alone I don’t think we’ll go for him.

Aceface
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Aceface » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:00 pm

OohAahButler wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm
I like Cresswell, and I don’t see him as a particularly weak link. Indeed, I think he’s been a major factor in our success this season and last.

I suspect that Moyes feels the same.
I think the argument with Cresswell is much like the argument that used to ignite for years whenever it was suggested we could upgrade the central midfield. Some would make the case that Noble made the team tick etc. Noble has always been a decent PL player so it's a hard argument to refute.

But then Rice – and not even the current edition, just the 19 year old version – came along and it made you go 'Oh... right. That's how our central midfield could work'. Then Soucek came long and it was like 'Oh. Right. That's how our cent...etc etc'.

Imagine a left side that was as hard to get change from as Coufal's side. Moyes might even be able to continue his quixotic search for a second striker into a third year if we start winning more games 1-0.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:06 pm

Cresswell can be improved upon. And he’s 32 (43 next season) so we have to accept his game won’t improve.

It’s just not as big a concern cos Moyes has protected his weaknesses and found a way to get the best out of him regularly.

What he offers now is harder to replace, but we’ll have to do it sooner or later. We might end up with one much better defensively but short of his ball skills, but we may sign a centre back who is a good passer and that lessens the impact.

Ethanadict
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by Ethanadict » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:52 pm

Wilko1304 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:06 pm
Cresswell can be improved upon. And he’s 32 (43 next season) …
Crikey, professional football is more stressful than I thought.

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by Gsbgsb » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:53 pm

Aceface wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:00 pm
I think the argument with Cresswell is much like the argument that used to ignite for years whenever it was suggested we could upgrade the central midfield. Some would make the case that Noble made the team tick etc. Noble has always been a decent PL player so it's a hard argument to refute.

But then Rice – and not even the current edition, just the 19 year old version – came along and it made you go 'Oh... right. That's how our central midfield could work'. Then Soucek came long and it was like 'Oh. Right. That's how our cent...etc etc'.

Imagine a left side that was as hard to get change from as Coufal's side. Moyes might even be able to continue his quixotic search for a second striker into a third year if we start winning more games 1-0.
For a left side as good as the right it is not just the full back.

You need a left sided player to offer the pace, skill, vision, cover, work rate and goal threat Bowen does. All the current possibilities tick one or more of the boxes but none tick them all as he does.

Teams will attack our left because not only is the right strong defensively but lose it there and we are an immediate threat in a way we are not to the same degree if possession is lost to Benrahma or Fornals.

Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:51 pm

But, equally, Fornals has to do more and be better than Bowen defensively. And whilst Bowen is flying in form at the moment, he still has his quiet games and doesn’t match Fornals’ passing out of deep areas or intelligence in the press.

Apples and oranges, really. We’ve had to change how we play without Cresswell, we didn’t when Coufal was out.

El brooko79
Has liked: 424 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by El brooko79 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:02 pm

Wilko1304 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:51 pm
But, equally, Fornals has to do more and be better than Bowen defensively. And whilst Bowen is flying in form at the moment, he still has his quiet games and doesn’t match Fornals’ passing out of deep areas or intelligence in the press.

Apples and oranges, really. We’ve had to change how we play without Cresswell, we didn’t when Coufal was out.
I'd say we are defensively better down the right. But as you say Fornals ability to transition from defence to attack with 1 pass us top drawer. Saw it again on Sun.

But in general our right is more direct, pacey and powerful whilst the left offers more composed possession with Cresswell, Fornals/Benrahma.

I like we can mix it up.

As you said earlier, if we had a CB with more composure it might mean we are less reliant on Cresswell to put his foot on it and have a more of a Coufal type at LB.

I don't know who that CB is though as they must also be strong on the air.

Diogenes
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 267 likes

Post by Diogenes » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:16 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:53 pm
For a left side as good as the right it is not just the full back.

You need a left sided player to offer the pace, skill, vision, cover, work rate and goal threat Bowen does. All the current possibilities tick one or more of the boxes but none tick them all as he does.

Teams will attack our left because not only is the right strong defensively but lose it there and we are an immediate threat in a way we are not to the same degree if possession is lost to Benrahma or Fornals.
Is that necessarily true though gsb? My gut feel is we score/create as many goals/chances from our left as right (no stats to support that though).