January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by El brooko79 »

paulhs1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:21 am Also...

If Newcastle stay up they will be buying wholesale and will be a much better proposition then now and we will be competing for Long term players like Buchanan, Ekiteke, Lloyd and the other linked french centre backs.
I'm really surprised Newcastle are actually interested in any young prospects, both now and if they stay up.

They need players to make an immediate impact to help them stay up.
If they do stay up why wait to see if a young player can make it. If you can afford to buy peak ready players they do it.

That's not to say they can buy the best of the best straight away. They will need to go through many squads as stepping stones (like Man City did).
I expect them to take the best of the rest and overpay. James Ward Prowse, Tarkowski, Zaha, Trossard, Dennis, and that sort of level.
Added with a sprinkle of expensive gambles - Hazard, Ramsey, Icardi, Martial.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Lingard being cup-ties either knocks a few bucks of the limited selling price, or indicates his intention to remain. Either way, I don’t think he is as attractive a prospect now, especially with Vlasic‘s recent involvement.

Ragnick’s decision to play him is interesting and could have been for a number of reasons, including rating the player and seeing him as important for the second part of the season.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:48 am Maybe he doesn't care?
Maybe he is keeping his head down amongst all the chaos at Man U? Maybe he still feels loyalty to a club he's been at since he was about 8 years old so is reluctant to destabilise things further by engineering or agitating for a move?

He's dropped a few veiled hints which have still upset a few Mancs. If he went further into full toys out of pram mode he'd go down in the eyes of many of us too.

I see this all to do with the shambles at that club, not Jesse Lingard's doing.
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

Het-Field wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:57 am Lingard being cup-ties either knocks a few bucks of the limited selling price, or indicates his intention to remain
He was selected for the squad. He was told to go on in the 85th minute. Should he have gone the full Tevez?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Jim White obviously had the nod from Sulli again this morning saying Rice won't leave this window. Also said he understands Lingard will stay there until the summer and leave on a free and wants £200k a week after.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

Het-Field wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:57 am Lingard being cup-ties either knocks a few bucks of the limited selling price, or indicates his intention to remain. Either way, I don’t think he is as attractive a prospect now, especially with Vlasic‘s recent involvement.

Ragnick’s decision to play him is interesting and could have been for a number of reasons, including rating the player and seeing him as important for the second part of the season.
Cup tied you say? when did we start bothering about such niceties?
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Albie Beck wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:00 pm He was selected for the squad. He was told to go on in the 85th minute. Should he have gone the full Tevez?
I’m not suggesting a course of action. I’m just saying that I think when you take it all into account it’s probably a situation we ought to draw a line under.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

I reckon J Lingz is holding out til the summer to assess his options, partly due to him seeing how Newcastle will get on if he wanted to make a move there. He's in complete control of his future. If he wanted to be here I think it would happen this month, if it doesn't then I think its curtains.
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

Man Utd still in the cup. West Ham still in the cup.

Makes sense to cup tie Lingard if he signs
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

Het-Field wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:03 pm I’m not suggesting a course of action. I’m just saying that I think when you take it all into account it’s probably a situation we ought to draw a line under.
Well, you said "or... indicates his intention to remain". I was questioning where his own "intentions" came into it?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4275 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Bowen
Fornals
Benrahma
Vlasic
Lanzini

Yeah Lingard offers us something different but if he only comes under the rules that he is an unsubbable £200k a week player as it now seems to be trending towards, then obviously we don’t need him.

Lewis-Potter wouldn’t give us what Lingard did last season, but he’d be a much smarter, cheaper and longer term option. Wouldn’t be surprised if signing Lingard also had the effect of crashing Vlasic’s stock too, just as it is booming.

Just get a CB and a Striker. And Hickey at LB.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

El brooko79 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:56 am I'm really surprised Newcastle are actually interested in any young prospects, both now and if they stay up.

They need players to make an immediate impact to help them stay up.
If they do stay up why wait to see if a young player can make it. If you can afford to buy peak ready players they do it.

That's not to say they can buy the best of the best straight away. They will need to go through many squads as stepping stones (like Man City did).
I expect them to take the best of the rest and overpay. James Ward Prowse, Tarkowski, Zaha, Trossard, Dennis, and that sort of level.
Added with a sprinkle of expensive gambles - Hazard, Ramsey, Icardi, Martial.
Newcastle are currently being linked to everyone, understandable considering but they will have money behind them in the summer and can easily afford the same crazy wage structure as a PSG or City.

Players heads will be turned, its inevitable so dont be surprised if its us vs them for playera like El Nesri, Ekiteke and Lloyd who will be happy to take the money and be part of a project.

If Moyes has been told he has the money then he should spend all of it now and snap up the best quality available in this window.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Albie Beck wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:00 pm He was selected for the squad. He was told to go on in the 85th minute. Should he have gone the full Tevez?
He looked unhappy to me when he came on, he wants out.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4275 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

We score loads of goals. We let in too many.

Logic dictates we sign defenders and a striker to insure us against Antonio injury, fatigue or loss of form.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Would anyone actually be surprised if we didn't sign a single player this window?
Last edited by TommyHammer on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diogenes
Has liked: 478 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

ironilunga wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:10 am I’m probably very late to such a discussion but do people think there is a risk of us doing a Newcastle (pre Saudi’s) in regard to available monies for transfers?

There has been talk of GSB cashing in after March 2023 when they won’t incur penalties for a sale north of 300mil. They have a pre-agreed sale price with Kratinsky so I’m wondering what their motivation would be over the next three windows in supporting Moyes improvement of the first team?

Are we going to be in a holding pattern until GSB leave?
I'm not at all convinced its a money thing at the moment. I'm sure Gold and Sullivan will not put any more of their money in for transfers, but they didn't anyhow over past 10 years. Its the 'clubs' money and if Kretinsky is really the new Owner in waiting and a fee already agreed then it is more down to him than them. If not, then the higher up the league, silverware, team performance will only add to the value rather than detract. So no, I do not think we are in a holding pattern.

Personally, I think it more down to Moyes normal cautious approach and the new guy (Newman) more focused on 'young' future talent. When I review those who have been mentioned throughout this window many seem to old (29+), not a priority position or still very much needed by their club (at the moment).
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

TommyHammer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:12 pm Would anyone actually be surprised if we didn't sign a single player this window?
Yes. Very.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Albie Beck wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:09 pm Well, you said "or... indicates his intention to remain". I was questioning where his own "intentions" came into it?
Poor post on my part, I suppose.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 pm I'm not at all convinced its a money thing at the moment. I'm sure Gold and Sullivan will not put any more of their money in for transfers, but they didn't anyhow over past 10 years. Its the 'clubs' money and if Kretinsky is really the new Owner in waiting and a fee already agreed then it is more down to him than them. If not, then the higher up the league, silverware, team performance will only add to the value rather than detract. So no, I do not think we are in a holding pattern.

Personally, I think it more down to Moyes normal cautious approach and the new guy (Newman) more focused on 'young' future talent. When I review those who have been mentioned throughout this window many seem to old (29+), not a priority position or still very much needed by their club (at the moment).
Yep they have never really spent their own money, only deciding what the club can afford.

The whole owner putting money in is really interesting to me.
I was reading somewhere that technically Abramovich is owed £1.3 billion by Chelsea. (Not sure if its true)
He doesn't charge interest and whether he will still be debtor when he sells remains to be seen. Obviously the debt effects the value

Villa chairman has pumped loads of money in but club is debt free.
I doubt any smart business person just pumps money into a club. Why not just be an interest free loan and decide what to do when you sell.

Very little free money around.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Has anyone come to a conclusion on how tall Lloyd Kelly is yet?

WhoScored say he's 178cm (5ft 10)
Transfermarkt say he's 190cm (6ft 2)