Running

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HammerDivOneSon
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Running

Post by HammerDivOneSon »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:36 pm Ouch. Not heard of that mate. I did have to have physio years ago when I first started running as I did my knee in but i don't think it was that. Was totally my fault actually for wearing the wrong shoes. Ever since I've worn proper running shoes I've been fine (touches wood).
Igor - sorry to hear this mate. Happened to me about 2 years ago, was excruciating when it happened and could barely walk home.

First thing I would say is R.I.C.E !!

I visited a physio and the only real treatment he provided was rest. However, he said that it's likely caused by a lack of strength in other parts of the leg. Namely the glutes and hammys...so after a period of rest, he gave me some light exercises to do to help strengthen both areas. These helped in the long run, so would be more than happy to share these with you, if you wanted mate.

Good luck with the recovery, hope you're not out of action for too long
HammerDivOneSon

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:36 pm Ouch. Not heard of that mate. I did have to have physio years ago when I first started running as I did my knee in but i don't think it was that. Was totally my fault actually for wearing the wrong shoes. Ever since I've worn proper running shoes I've been fine (touches wood).
I second this! Having the right running shoes made a massive difference.

Have you had a gait analysis done recently? Maybe not one for right now obviously, but one to check out
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1512 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

HammerDivOneSon wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:27 pm it's likely caused by a lack of strength in other parts of the leg. Namely the glutes and hammys...so after a period of rest, he gave me some light exercises to do to help strengthen both areas. These helped in the long run, so would be more than happy to share these with you, if you wanted mate.
Thanks CockneyBoy and HammerDivOneSon!

Yeah, glutes and hammys, that's what I have found on YouTube today too. In lot of videos they say that exercises with resisting band are good, so I need to buy one. Happy to learn which exercises helped you particularly.
Have you had a gait analysis done recently? Maybe not one for right now obviously, but one to check out
That's a good thing to do, never did it before.
HammerDivOneSon

Have sent you a pm Igor!

I've just invested in some Nike Air Zoom Tempo Next% in the black Friday/cyber Monday sales. 25% off on the Nike store which wasn't too shabby.

Anyone had any experience with these before? Had a little look around and seemed like a good shoe to tackle some pacier runs and races, whilst keeping my New Balance 1080v11 as my 'everyday' runners...
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Thanks for email HammerDivOneSon, a lot of good exercises there!

It seems it will stay longer with me, I had a hope that one week of rest will be fine but I felt my knee last week during every single run and lastly after 15km run I feel pain second day with no activity at all :cry: I guess I should rest til January and just do simple exercises? I have booked swimming pool for today as I read it can help, will see. Stay healthy Hammer Runners!

I have just discovered that running in cold days in shorts only does not help and makes the issue worse. Leggins, I am coming for you.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Just did a 5k for a local kids charity. Haven't run properly in months due to dodgy knees but surprised myself by finishing in 29 minutes.

Not having any booze in 9 days must have helped.

Also it's a lovely run alongside a bay with perfect early morning weather. Clear and sunny and about 10/12C.

Knees held up fine which I'm really chuffed about. Lungs were hurting and heart rate up around 157 for most of it but hopefully I can get back to regular jogging now
HammerDivOneSon

HNY Kumb Runners!

Have just entered the ballot for the Great North Run! Anyone else got any races planned/booked in for the year?

Have Brentwood half in March as well so will be looking to get into training for that soon :hamm:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

HammerDivOneSon wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:17 am HNY Kumb Runners!

Have just entered the ballot for the Great North Run! Anyone else got any races planned/booked in for the year?

Have Brentwood half in March as well so will be looking to get into training for that soon :hamm:
Just had a look at that. You have to pay £59 just to enter the ballot? What if you don't get in? Do you get your money back?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

No races planned... I've only really started my effort to run more this week after a lazy couple of months. Hopefully I'm back to 3 times a week now.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

No races for me, just a commitment: 2022km in 2022, I started this year well, already made first 100km, it looks like IT band syndrome has gone totally (thanks again HammerDivOneSon for the set of exercises, I think it helps me a lot and I continue to do it few days weekly).

Anyway, happy running in 2022 you all! Stay strong and get no injuries! :scarfer:
HammerDivOneSon

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:25 pm Just had a look at that. You have to pay £59 just to enter the ballot? What if you don't get in? Do you get your money back?
I think it takes your card details and if you are successful it will charge it. That's how I understand it anyway!
HammerDivOneSon

Igor_E7 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:41 pm No races for me, just a commitment: 2022km in 2022, I started this year well, already made first 100km, it looks like IT band syndrome has gone totally (thanks again HammerDivOneSon for the set of exercises, I think it helps me a lot and I continue to do it few days weekly).

Anyway, happy running in 2022 you all! Stay strong and get no injuries! :scarfer:
Good to hear mate! 2022km is a strong effort, love that! I might have to join you on that endeavour.

A year of some PB's is my aim, across all disciplines; 5k, 10k, 1/2 mara and Marathon! The local running club I joined last year has been a great help to be fair.

Anyone else part of a running club?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm almost doing that challenge... I've removed the zero though and made it 222km :)

To be honest I'm not really into it enough for races - it's just something I do to keep myself fit and get some quality quiet time and a bit of headspace. That's also the reason I don't join running or hiking clubs. I want to be on my own out there.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

After October's marathon and two months of downtime, I'm finally back into some sort of running routine.

Usually I'd have a ton of half marathons and likely a marathon planned for the year however with my first child due next month I'm ditching all long runs and sticking to 5-10km and any opportunities for longer runs will be a bonus. I'll stick to 5-10km races too and will start booking them in shortly. I prefer a long slow run so getting the opportunity to work on faster shorter distances is exciting.

I've recently moved as well and will likely join the local running club which will be fun.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I had some kind of virus back in September which I now strongly believe to be my second bout of COVID. Around that time I did a long run (not realising at the time that I might have covid despite having the same phantom smells that I had the first time I had it, and occasional fluttering heart sensations - also the same as the first time.) which completely wiped me out for about three weeks. At the time I thought I'd just overdone it but looking back, it was highly unusual for such a thing to happen. I've done plenty of endurance challenges before such as 24 hour hikes up and down several mountains, and despite it wiping me out I've been fully recovered again within 2 or 3 days. Being so wiped out for weeks is very unlike me. Anyway... to the point... later on in the year I started running properly again but never felt quite as fit as I did before that virus. I seemed to be more wheezy after a run and I noticed that my heart rate whilst at a steady jog on the flat was about 10bpm faster than it was pre virus. Its now mid January and my heart rate still seems to be running at that slightly faster rate. Has anyone else who's had covid noticed anything similar?
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 pm I had some kind of virus back in September which I now strongly believe to be my second bout of COVID. Around that time I did a long run (not realising at the time that I might have covid despite having the same phantom smells that I had the first time I had it, and occasional fluttering heart sensations - also the same as the first time.) which completely wiped me out for about three weeks. At the time I thought I'd just overdone it but looking back, it was highly unusual for such a thing to happen. I've done plenty of endurance challenges before such as 24 hour hikes up and down several mountains, and despite it wiping me out I've been fully recovered again within 2 or 3 days. Being so wiped out for weeks is very unlike me. Anyway... to the point... later on in the year I started running properly again but never felt quite as fit as I did before that virus. I seemed to be more wheezy after a run and I noticed that my heart rate whilst at a steady jog on the flat was about 10bpm faster than it was pre virus. Its now mid January and my heart rate still seems to be running at that slightly faster rate. Has anyone else who's had covid noticed anything similar?
I've not had covid (that I'm aware of and have been testing for almost a year now!) but after my 2nd vaccine, my heart rate was stupidly high for a while and has spiked again following the booster.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

if anyone has ever been to, or seen photos of, downtown San Diego you might have noticed the iconic Coronado Bridge.

It's traffic only but twice a year opens up. Once for a cycling event and once for a run.

Which I signed up for 2 years ago but.... well, you know.

But it's back now. A mile 4 run from downtown over to Coronado Island.

I can't wait to attempt this. Even did a steep trail run yesterday. Not used to hill runs so looking forward to learning about new training regimes.

https://www.navybaybridgerun.com/
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Running on ice, with spiked shoes

One of winter's pleasures
HammerDivOneSon

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 pm I had some kind of virus back in September which I now strongly believe to be my second bout of COVID. Around that time I did a long run (not realising at the time that I might have covid despite having the same phantom smells that I had the first time I had it, and occasional fluttering heart sensations - also the same as the first time.) which completely wiped me out for about three weeks. At the time I thought I'd just overdone it but looking back, it was highly unusual for such a thing to happen. I've done plenty of endurance challenges before such as 24 hour hikes up and down several mountains, and despite it wiping me out I've been fully recovered again within 2 or 3 days. Being so wiped out for weeks is very unlike me. Anyway... to the point... later on in the year I started running properly again but never felt quite as fit as I did before that virus. I seemed to be more wheezy after a run and I noticed that my heart rate whilst at a steady jog on the flat was about 10bpm faster than it was pre virus. Its now mid January and my heart rate still seems to be running at that slightly faster rate. Has anyone else who's had covid noticed anything similar?
Glad to hear you are feeling a little better now. Take it easy though and build back up slowly!

You'll be back at it in no time
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I thought this would be more relevant here than the covid thread...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/40ba ... 90687562db