David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Ironing Board »

yakandyeti wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:28 pm I'm not sure it will go tits up with Moyes here, I imagine he can virtually promise top 8 most years. Particularly when he's had another season or two to build out the squad. There may be the odd year we drop down to 10th or dare I say 12th. The issue may come if we feel that's not enough, but I think illusions of grandeur from fans and the board based on what he achieves in the next 4-5 years would be a very sad way to see him go. I reckon he could do another Everton length stint into retirement and give us our best spell and first trophy since 1980.
Look at the state of Everton since he left, all while spending fortunes.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

ironilunga wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:29 pm Aghh, I want to buy in to this BH but Nolan always gives me the impression of someone who will be a decent assistant manager or coach but not the main guy. I just feel like he is too close to the players. It is based on very little and I would be delighted to be proved wrong in the future.
Let’s hope it’s a few seasons from being tested, as I could easily be wrong, but I remain optimistic.
👍🇨🇿
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1093 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Really worth a watch, I love Moyes. He’s the most West Ham manager you could hope for with the current managers around.

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:05 pm I don't think it is secrecy per se, just good practice. Why would you announce that 'something' was happening only to get everyone speculating spouting complete unsubstantiated b**locks like on the Transfer Thread that undermines everything? I think its great.
He said the deals were done months ago
Al Fisti
Has liked: 120 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

Just waited at the outline and wasn´t interested to change something in the offensive. We were poor yesterday, missed another chance to beat a harmless ManU. Can´t understand why Moyes is always satisfied with one point against his ex-club - he has a ManU trauma. Rangnick made the changes and Cavani and Rashford delivered the goal. We have got the same penalty as at the home game, when Lingard scored.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

For everything Moyes has achieved in the game, his record away from home in the League against the ‘super 6’ really is tragic. You see much worse managers and teams win at those grounds on a regular basis.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:00 am For everything Moyes has achieved in the game, his record away from home in the League against the ‘super 6’ really is tragic. You see much worse managers and teams win at those grounds on a regular basis.
Our record with or without Moyes is tragic.

Is our last win at Old Trafford Tevez?
The Emirates was under Bilic
Anfield once in 50+ years
I can't even remember a Stamford Bridge win.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:32 am I can't even remember a Stamford Bridge win.
Pellegrini won at Stamford Bridge.

The BBC flagged yesterday Moyes is 45 games away at the big 6 without a victory. It's too huge a sample size to be hand-waved away. There's a personal foible underlying it, no idea what the root cause is.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:32 am

Our record with or without Moyes is tragic.

Is our last win at Old Trafford Tevez?
The Emirates was under Bilic
Anfield once in 50+ years
I can't even remember a Stamford Bridge win.
We beat Chelsea and Spurs quite regularly, both home and away.

Arsenal used to be a fairly regular away win as well, pre Wenger.

Man City has changed in the last decade, Anfield has always been a nightmare, and Man U is a once a decade sort of event (we did beat them in Sept).

The frustration with Man U in recent years, is how many games seem to end up turned on just a single goal and a single moment. Arsenal always stinks of dodgy officiating. Salah's diving has become legendary in recent years in our fixtures against Liverpool at Anfield.

I suppose progress is that we've gone beyond the wallopings which seemed to be the norm for a long period of time.
The Straw
Has liked: 595 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by The Straw »

Was the Antonio winner at Spurs really 45 (away at the Top 6) games ago ? Time flies!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

The Straw wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 am Was the Antonio winner at Spurs really 45 (away at the Top 6) games ago ? Time flies!
That was Pellegrini…
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Aceface wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 am Pellegrini won at Stamford Bridge.

The BBC flagged yesterday Moyes is 45 games away at the big 6 without a victory. It's too huge a sample size to be hand-waved away. There's a personal foible underlying it, no idea what the root cause is.
Christ is forgotten that one. David Martin!

I know Moyes clearly has some sort of blank but he's not exactly at the right club to rectify it. Wins away at those clubs are very rare for us, other than Tottenham who we beat a fair amount.
il_martello_di_genovesi

No club wins away at those clubs very often, but managers will chalk one up every so often. We’ve just given examples of Pellegrini getting 2 and Bilic having at least 3. As Ace says, a sample size of 45 is too big to just find an excuse for. It’s obviously a problem.

The one thing I will say for Moyes is that beating these at home is at least something we do.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Moyes has done an amazing job, well above expectations. I'm a big fan.

But the substitutions over the last 2 games, I just dont get.

Against Leeds, a game we had to chase, we had to bring on Kral to balance the midfield or Yarmalenko to bring on some extra goal threat. He brings on Arthur, who at no time during the season has offered creativity, goal threat or the option of solidifying the midfield. He then does bring on Yarmo, but for Fornals further imbalancing the midfield.

Yesterday, Fredericks is brought on. Straight swop for a right back. It can't of been a defensive move, but was this the only option we had to add some vim to our attacking play?

I feel sorry for Johnson, he appears to have gone from 1st choice right back, who did a good choice filling in for the team at left left back, to third choice right back. This despite him being the form player of the three. I'm not sure that Moyes is as interested in youth as the spin doctors would have us believe; witnessed by the continued selection of the abject Masuaku over the impressive Longelo (who couldn't/wouldn't have done any worse)
The Straw
Has liked: 595 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by The Straw »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:37 am That was Pellegrini…
:newthumb:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Moyes never seems to do well at initiating a plan B.

He can change formation and tactics going into a game well enough, but mid game always seems a struggle. He is consistently reluctant to make subs, even like fir like to bring on fresh legs.

Its his biggest weakness IMO.
claretchris
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by claretchris »

I think with Moyes liking a smaller squad he often has a clear first choice starter in most positions, much of the time this is a positive as it gives players the confidence to perform to his game plan.

Sometimes though he’s tying his own hands behind his back by having limited options off the bench - he’s reluctant to change as the options just aren’t good enough, and he has to shoulder some of the blame for that.

The club has to to develop, but Moyes does too.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

He's been superb. But his game management in the last 2 matches has been poor to say the least.
il_martello_di_genovesi

There’s a difference between limited options and no options and someone who is paid as well as he is, has to look at how best to use the options he has.

Leeds at home - Lanzini as a deeper sitting midfielder, being pulled apart. The option was Kral. Is it the best option he could have? No, but it’s a DM option and it had to be looked at. It wasn’t.

Man Utd away - A £30m attacking midfielder on the bench. We have 2 others on the pitch who were shocking. He continued to sit on the bench.

Of course to sustain any sort of challenge across competitions he needs more, but that doesn’t mean don’t use the ones you have. There are teams with worse options than ours that find ways to win games. What options did Leeds have against us? Lewis Bate and Hjelde?

Obviously he has done a fantastic job overall and these are just small, but fair criticisms. Hopefully he can sign a couple and we make the most of the next few matches. Would certainly trust him to get it right.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:47 pm There’s a difference between limited options and no options and someone who is paid as well as he is, has to look at how best to use the options he has.
He is actually one of the the lowest paid managers in the league.