Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by HammerAl »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:56 pm Most footballers are not motivated by money as the primary factor
Really?

I’d say it’s completely the opposite.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Rice has turned down two contracts which would have made him the biggest earner at the club.He turned them down because he wouldn't sign a new contract because it would have contained transfer clauses which wouldn't have been in his favour.This club will not finish top four while we have that c..t Sully offering silly money for the Burnley centre half and 6 million for Philips at Liverpool.Moyes must despair sometimes but make no mistake Rice is not blind to the false ambitions of the hierarchy of this club.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

HammerAl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:15 pm Really?

People expect to be paid what they were worth, but take Cresswell for example, if he had been banging on to be transferred at diffeerent clubs every 2 or 3 years he could arguably be on more money per week by now and had some of the transfer money share.

But he is settled, probably lives somewhere he is happy with, in a club that treats him well, friends etc.

That could all be far from the truth regarding Cresswell but I don't necessarily think money is always the top priority once you've hit a certain level.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

But getting moves doesn’t always guarantee you more money. For someone like Cresswell, I imagine he’s absolutely delighted with the amount of money we’ve paid him over the years. But if a club came in for him when he 5 years ago and offered to treble or quadruple his wages, then he would have been off in a shot.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

HammerAl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:15 pm Really?

From the ones I have had dealings with, money is secondary once you are talking about the sums they earn
What is more important is success, fulfilling ambition, high profile, playing as high level as possible
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

billtho wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:40 pm Rice has turned down two contracts which would have made him the biggest earner at the club.He turned them down because he wouldn't sign a new contract because it would have contained transfer clauses which wouldn't have been in his favour.This club will not finish top four while we have that c..t Sully offering silly money for the Burnley centre half and 6 million for Philips at Liverpool.Moyes must despair sometimes but make no mistake Rice is not blind to the false ambitions of the hierarchy of this club.
£6 million is about all Phillips is worth.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

billtho wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:40 pm Rice has turned down two contracts which would have made him the biggest earner at the club.He turned them down because he wouldn't sign a new contract because it would have contained transfer clauses which wouldn't have been in his favour.This club will not finish top four while we have that c..t Sully offering silly money for the Burnley centre half and 6 million for Philips at Liverpool.Moyes must despair sometimes but make no mistake Rice is not blind to the false ambitions of the hierarchy of this club.
I'm sorry Bill, but that is all unsubstantiated conjecture. Indeed I would go far as to say its all rubbish. Calm down and re-join the real world, its much nicer.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Dec took this with good humour …
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:23 pm From the ones I have had dealings with, money is secondary once you are talking about the sums they earn
What is more important is success, fulfilling ambition, high profile, playing as high level as possible
Funny enough I had this conversation with a mate tonight. We went to watch MK Dons v Wimbledon as it’s only down the road. Realised 37 year old Dean Lewington was still going for MK Dons. He’s played 717 times for them and can’t have ever been on a crazy wage but you feel like he’s just always been there and proud to be playing where he is. Can’t imagine he’s been in it for the money all these years.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

I wonder whether it's worth "replacing" Declan before his inevitable sale. Prices for players will probably increase after the whole world knows we have £100m+ burning our pocket. Not necessarily in this window.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Croydon wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:49 pm I wonder whether it's worth "replacing" Declan before his inevitable sale. Prices for players will probably increase after the whole world knows we have £100m+ burning our pocket. Not necessarily in this window.
Good post and absolutely agree. This should certainly be in the clubs thinking (I’m sure it is).
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:51 pm Dec took this with good humour …
:newthumb:

He’s impossible to dislike. Saw him close up at Burnley thoroughly enjoying every moment and infecting all the players with his joy.

He has a huge presence.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Croydon wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:49 pm I wonder whether it's worth "replacing" Declan before his inevitable sale. Prices for players will probably increase after the whole world knows we have £100m+ burning our pocket. Not necessarily in this window.
It will not only be the clubs we are dealing with, and the player's agents, also the ones who remain, who will want to have better deals. The pressure will come from all sides. Don't need to look far, see what happened at Tottenham once they sold Bale.

£100M isn't a lot a money, if you are looking at bringing in two-three 1st team players and protecting your talents.
Say we opt to bring in one player to replace Rice one-for-one. We'll most likely also want to have a striker/fullback/centrehalf depending on our current situation. Maybe offer the likes of Bowen and Fornals better deals.

We'll need to have options, and once we have viable options, our position when negotiating is much better. And we'll have more options if we can prove that we are a stable top half, challenging for European spots, Premier League team.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:55 pm I'm sorry Bill, but that is all unsubstantiated conjecture. Indeed I would go far as to say its all rubbish. Calm down and re-join the real world, its much nicer.
I think Bill is in the real world tbh.
We have to face facts,Rice is a world class player a d we won't be able to keep him much longer.
Ask yourself,why hasn't he signed a new:contract?
I'd be very surprised if he is still here come August this year.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Doc H Ball wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:00 am :newthumb:

He’s impossible to dislike. Saw him close up at Burnley thoroughly enjoying every moment and infecting all the players with his joy.

He has a huge presence.
When you watch the behind the scenes videos you really get an idea of his presence when he leads the team out - literally like they are following a winner and leader.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Declan has no need to sign a new contract unless it is exactly on his terms. He gets a decent wedge as it is and rakes in quite a bit extra from endorsements and other extra-curricular activities
The main sticking point will be the minimum release clause that the club want to insert, as there is no real need for the player to agree to that
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

It's hardly make or break for me but that'll be an interesting test for Kretinsky and the new ownership structure. Does he give the flexibility and the vision to find a way to finance Dec's replacement before he's actually been sold?

You'd hope that these 3 business geniuses who are worth close to £6n between them could find a way to finance the first payments of a £40-50m transfer safe in the knowledge the cash is coming in to the club in short order.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:21 am
It's hardly make or break for me but that'll be an interesting test for Kretinsky and the new ownership structure. Does he give the flexibility and the vision to find a way to finance Dec's replacement before he's actually been sold?

You'd hope that these 3 business geniuses who are worth close to £6n between them could find a way to finance the first payments of a £40-50m transfer safe in the knowledge the cash is coming in to the club in short order.
Agreed. For me it's a win-win. We know that Moyes already likes to bed players in, so should Declan eventually leave we don't have to rely on a new player's fast adaptability to the league. On the other hand, if we signed a player with half of Declan's ability, we could cement our position within the top 6 and potentially help convince him to stay.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Tezza65 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:47 am I think Bill is in the real world tbh.
We have to face facts,Rice is a world class player a d we won't be able to keep him much longer.
Tezza, my understanding is that Rice is contracted until summer 2024 with an option of a further year until 2025. That is another 2 to 3 seasons after this one. I am not sure that another couple of years extension will make any difference to his value over the next 18-24 months (whereas his performances and maturity will) or whether he stays or goes.

I also understand that the main reason a new contract has not been agreed, is because Rice/Agent would want a release clause inserted. So nothing overly sinister. In which case, I assume that the two parties, on what that release clause may be, will be wildly apart. From a business perspective why would you limit the value of your biggest asset now when you don't have to? Both the club and Rice seem pretty relaxed over it and so am I.

Personally, I take the view that Rice will be looking at the World Cup later this year as a personal target/milestone rather than a move into uncertain waters that he doesn't need to take, yet.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Tezza65 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:47 am I think Bill is in the real world tbh.
Because he doesn't need to.

Why would he give up the position of power he is in? It is in his best interests to bet on himself, and see how things develop, whether his ultimate goal is to stay at West Ham or leave.

If he wants to stay, not signing a contract lets the Club know that he wants proof that we can match his ambitions, be it other top class players around him or simply proving on the pitch that we can compete for trophies and Europe.

If he wants to leave, he wouldn't sign a contract for obvious reasons.

There's not really anything to take out of Rice not having extended his contract yet. If it was expiring in 2022 or 2023, fair enough, but it's not, we have a few more years on it.

The only benefit to him signing now would be to increase his wage, but let's face it, he knows that's coming anyway regardless and if anything, the longer he goes without signing, the higher the salary will be when he does do so.