West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (12/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Norwich City: rescheduled match thread

Post by brothernero »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Sure.
Penalty YES, Assault YES.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

brothernero wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 pm Mine says 22.15 I'm guessing it will be on as soon as they have finished bleeting on about the Spurs v Chelsea game. :newthumb:
Funny isn't it. How great is it now that we lost to Spurs in the Q/F. Had a much better night tonight than they did.
We also wouldn't have got past Chelsea, imo.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Can someone tell me if they want to stay in my hotel when we win the Europa in Seville?
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:29 pm Can someone tell me if they want to stay in my hotel when we win the Europa in Seville?
unusual chat up line :grin:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:15 pm
FFS!
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:29 pm Can someone tell me if they want to stay in my hotel when we win the Europa in Seville?
No. You kept pulling the covers off me last time.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Shotgun little spoon.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Bowen 9.12 on BBC Sport stats 🥵
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Bloody hell.

It’s Man City v Chelsea and Arsenal v Spurs this weekend. What a chance we’ve got.

Special mention for Fabianski tonight. That save was sublime.

Thought Vlasic, Lanzini and Fornals all played neat football.

Antonio. God love him. Another game where he just wasn’t on it. He needs a replacement for when he just can’t get going.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

The re-run of our game has now started on the main sky sports channel. :newthumb:
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

If it is a free bar then yes.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

funky chicken wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm 37 points. We are staying up! :scarfer:
That will be more than enough this year.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Some of that football played by Fornals and Manu tonight was top class.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

War Pony wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:27 pm I think all of our blood pressure would go down if we never see diop an masauku in our shirt again
What a very strange post

We have just won 2-0, with Diop having a decent game (less shaky than Dawson) and MAsuaku being on for 15 minutes and getting an assist - and this is all you can say about the match? Bizarre

It was a funny old game. Quite a subdued atmosphere over there tonight. We started very well and Bowen should have scored after 3 minutes but for long spells we were in control but quite lethargic. We didn't give Norwich any clear cut chances but they did have quite a few shooting opportunities from the edge of the box which on another day may have punished us.

No one played amazingly well, and no one was rubbish. RIce and Fornals our best players IMHO. A routine win but Norwich are a very poor side indeed.

Kudos to Fabianski who didn't have much to do but didn't put a foot wrong and made a sensational save when 1-0. That was a key moment

Bowen is class, and if he could finish more reliably he would get 20 goals a season. That is his only weakness at the moment.

I would love to have seen that late strike from Yarmo go in. A lovely turn and then shot with his right which Krul made a good save. I expect he is leaving this month so would have been a nice way to end.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

I reckon if Krul was wearing something less inconspicuous they would have seen that assault.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Rice was excellent tonight. Made loads of tackles, interceptions and runs with the ball. We’re just so used to him playing like that week in week out and his consistency is unreal.

Fornals good tonight.

Bowen on fire.

Fabianski still top class and wouldn’t swap too many in the league for him.

We really are only 2 or 3 additions away from being one of the best sides in Europe.
Rust
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

From BBC Sport:

‘Jarrod Bowen has been directly involved in 16 goals in all competitions this season (8 goals, 8 assists), which is the most by any English player at a Premier League club’

England call up surely imminent.

Was fantastic tonight.
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Thought it was an odd game tonight. Rather underwhelming and we did what we needed to get us the 3 points. I just don't think we are firing on all cylinders at the moment but I have little doubt that at some point we will fully engage and someone is going to get a proper beating.
Happy with the 3 points but came away thinking we could have played better and really gone for it.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

The two penalty no-calls involving Vlasic, are, perhaps somewhat illogically, the reason he needs to be spoken to about diving. It's naive to think that the refs don't have any idea about certain players' reputation for diving, or recent dives. I wouldn't be surprised if the officiating team today had seen footage of Vlasic's dive against Leeds and thought "ok, we have to watch this one."

"Big six" aside, I get the feeling that sometimes, when a ref knows a player may go over easy (or has a history of doing so), it can be their first instinct to let play go on (esp for potential penalties), and leave it to VAR. All speculation, but if I was a ref I would rather not give a penalty for what actually was in fact a minor foul (after all these still happen all the time) because VAR cannot overcome the clear and obvious error standard to award a pen or suggest I check, than give a penalty for a dive (which would be hard to correct because of that standard). This is technically the split second choice the ref subconsciously has to make.

If the ref was thinking of Vlasic's dive last week, we may have been a victim of the above thinking, for both the assault, and the jersey/pants grab. as no penalty was given in the first instance and it was left for VAR to then overcome the clear and obvious error standard (which is completely unpredictable but in theory should be difficult to overcome).

Not making a judgment on whether ref and VAR got it right or wrong (I think they got both wrong), just a comment on why a player might want to shed the reputation of being a diver.
Last edited by NedN on Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Rust wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:16 pm From BBC Sport:

‘Jarrod Bowen has been directly involved in 16 goals in all competitions this season (8 goals, 8 assists), which is the most by any English player at a Premier League club’

England call up surely imminent.

Was fantastic tonight.
That's superb. My initial reaction to that was 'I bet Antonio is top 5' but then I remembered he has been directly involved in the most goals by any Jamaican player at a Premier League club.