West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (12/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Norwich City: rescheduled match thread

Post by mattyD »

:kumb:
WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:07 pm Sexy hot tv live
:rofl:
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Another victory whilst we wasn't at our best. The pace of our play needed to be a little quicker than it was at times which was a little frustrating.

Good to see Cresswell back but the squad does look thin with the number of players missing.

Back to back clean sheets is a positive.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Despite Bowen getting two, Rice was so far in front of everyone else it’s a joke.

Second half he committed two players then whipped a reverse 40 yarder to Fornals.

I said a while ago he’s in the mould of Steven Gerrard and he’s definitely getting there. A move to a bigger club will surely cut off his hair like Samson.

As for the rest of team, Vlasic continues to impress in equal measure as to how much Diop has you with your head in your hands.

Atmosphere was flat but I think that was because there was a sense of inevitability against a poor Norwich side. Previous West Ham sides would have let complacency get in front of the result in the past.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Did anyone else notice Krul when the second goal went in? He took a super quick goal kick in the hope that getting the game re-started would end any VAR checks. You have to rate that kind of misguided shithousery! He's a great value when he faces penalties as well :crylol:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I really like tonight's starting XI when we're playing teams where we can expect to be on the front foot. I don't think we need two holding midfielders in those circumstances and having both Lanzini and Fornals in the centre of the park gives us far more of a cutting edge as they're both good at those clever little diagonal passes that give Antonio and Bowen something to run onto.

Overall, I thought it was a decent performance but, jesus, with the opportunities we had tonight, we could and probably should have stuck eight past them.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Presumably there is a big reptilian charity event on this evening?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Special mention to the absolute bellend in the BML who spent the entire game screaming like a saddo at Kral that he was a useless **** (after asking his mate what the goalkeeper was called of course).

Seemed to be a few of those types tonight, non-regulars that had got a ticket for this one and were acting like what they think a football fan is probably supposed to be.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Happy with the points but what a dire game of football. Wsst Ham not ro blame as Norwich are soooooo poor and its hard for any tram to be fully motivated when playing such a poor team.

Performances:
Rice decent.
Fabianski good. When will he get the love he deserves?
Cressswell a massive threat going forward.
Diop and Dawson looked a disaster waiting to happen.
Lanziini (biased as my favourite) did ok but a fair few misplaced passes.
Fornals horrendous first half as every pass missed the target, but much better second half. Dwcent enough squad player performance.
Vlasic poor. You can look hard to find anything good but reality is he has hustle bustle but no pace and doesn't affect the game. Flop signing.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Two penalties - the 2nd one Vlasic was definitely tripped, though I can see how his reputation precedes him, but the first- how can that not be a penalty? One disallowed goal for no obvious reason. Woodwork hit twice.

With a bit more luck (and a bit more competent refereeing) we could have had a hatful last night.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

IronZ-79 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:57 pmThe pace of our play needed to be a little quicker than it was at times which was a little frustrating.
I think Moyes knew this too. Hence why he brought Masuaku on. As much as a lot of us was concerned when we saw he was coming on I thought he made a big difference. Their back line simply couldn’t cope while he was on the pitch. Without his introduction we arguably wouldn’t of scored a 2nd goal and would’ve had a very nervy final 5-10 minutes holding onto a 1-0 lead.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 am
Lanziini (biased as my favourite) did ok but a fair few misplaced passes.
Fornals horrendous first half as every pass missed the target, but much better second half. Dwcent enough squad player performance.
Vlasic poor. You can look hard to find anything good but reality is he has hustle bustle but no pace and doesn't affect the game. Flop signing.
Here he is :asleep:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Great result, three points in the bag but I thought we were pretty sloppy last night.

Lots of misplaced passes, particularly from Lanzini, but I suppose he was due a poor game after some great performances lately.

I was a bit disappointed by Rice last night. He didn’t have a bad game, however he didn’t take the game by the scruff of the neck enough for me. I thought the midfield overall looked pretty soft, we needed to get a foot on the ball and dictate the game a little more.

Thought it was going to be one of those nights with it so long at just 1-0, even with Norwich having no punch about them at all. I do get concerned with the amount of chances we miss generally though, hopefully we will be more clinical on Sunday.

Also agree the bloke Idah for Norwich looked like a decent player. Just looked his scoring record up on Wikipedia though and it’s pretty poor!
Last edited by Centre Half on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Far be it for me to appear overconfident but that was the result expected - mainly given Norwich’s poor quality.

I thought the set up without Soucek worked well, Lanzini did well in a deeper position and gave us a few more options. Good to see Cresswell back, he and Coufal rampaging down the wings and whipping in crosses is one of our qualities that is enjoyable to watch. Whilst Dawson and Diop aren’t our first choice CBs, they continue to do the job. I thought Fornals played well and Bowen was mustard. And Massuaku … we’ll, what is there to say?
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Couldn’t believe Dean Smith took that Idah off for them. He was their one player especially troubling us. Once he came off I don’t think they had a sniff for the last few minutes. It was a combination of that and the introduction of Masuaku that sealed the 3 points for us.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Centre Half wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:23 am Great result, three points in the bag but I thought we were pretty sloppy last night.

Lots of misplaced passes, particularly from Lanzini, but I suppose he was due a poor game after some great performances lately.

I was a bit disappointed by Rice last night. He didn’t have a bad game, however he didn’t take the game by the scruff of the neck enough for me. I thought the midfield overall looked pretty soft, we needed to get a foot on the ball and dictate the game a little more.

Thought it was going to be one of those nights with it so long at just 1-0, even with Norwich having no punch about them at all. I do get concerned with the amount of chances we miss generally though, hopefully we will be more clinical on Sunday.

Also agree the bloke Idah for Norwich looked like a decent player. Just looked his scoring record up on Wikipedia though and it’s pretty poor!
I thought Rice was absolutely superb. Best player on the pitch by a country mile.
He got back and made some last ditch tackles after a couple of Dawson errors, won some crunching tackles in midfield, stormed forward with the ball and I doubt he misplaced a single pass - long or short.

The amount of ground he covers is Staggering and his movement off the ball is as good as any one in football. He is always available for a pass because his reading of the game is so good

A truly exceptional footballer
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Wasn't really paying attention at the time, but who was the Norwich player, on the left, who put the after burners on late during the second half?

F*ck I, was he rapid or what?
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Great result

Thought Bowen terrorised them. Fornals really has the bit between his teeth, great to see Cresswell back, great save from Fab, Antonio kept two of them busy a lot of the time and Vlasic had a really good first half.

Flip side - we need to be more clinical as we looked like we were trying to walk it in the net at times like peak Harlem globetrotters Arsenal, Vlasic drifted out of it, we didn’t pass it quick enough at times (especially to attack immediately after we got the ball back as we let them get back in shape) and Fab’s distribution was poor (it felt like their only attacks in the first half came from his kicks).

They were a bit pushy and grabby with their hands weren’t they (or that’s how it seemed at the stadium). Also thought the ref wasn’t great - plenty of handball calls not given and seemed to let a lot go unless it was us in their final third when he then became Uber critical of our players.

Need to build on that Sunday
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:01 am Wasn't really paying attention at the time, but who was the Norwich player, on the left, who put the after burners on late during the second half?

Yea, that was an eyebrow-raiser for sure. Set off like a scalded rat and absolutely tore up the field, think he’d just been subbed on. Can’t recall many other positive contributions, but no question, kid’s got some greasy speed.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Job done last night, without having to get out of first gear really. Apart from a 15 minute spell in the second half, Norwich offered very little.
Subdued atmosphere last night, with lots of regulars that usually sit around us missing, almost as if last night was an inconvenience - what with 3 home games in 7 days.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:01 am Wasn't really paying attention at the time, but who was the Norwich player, on the left, who put the after burners on late during the second half?

Yeah he was speedy gonzalez, on a one man mission only stopped by a block by Dawson I think it was.
It came totally out of the blue, no idea which player it was (obviously playing LB/WB)