West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (12/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Norwich City: rescheduled match thread

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:01 am Wasn't really paying attention at the time, but who was the Norwich player, on the left, who put the after burners on late during the second half?

F*ck I, was he rapid or what?
The 18-year old who elbowed Coufal in the head straight after the goal? Jonathan Rowe.
How the ref gave that as a throw-in and not a red card... just like all the other blatant dangerous play fouls we've suffered this season.

It was another game where the ref allowed defender to manhandle and wrestle Antonio all over the pitch - I was waiting for Antonio to get two bookings for trying to get away from him.

At least we won this one, unlike the Southampton, Brentford, Brighton wrestle manias.

Never realised Pukki was such a diver! Two attrocious dives where he wasn't even touched. Or is it the Dean Smith effect?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I think if we beat Leeds Turtle will bugger off for a bit.

He seems to like transfer windows and poor form. Just need to keep winning and get to February.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:45 am I think if we beat Leeds Turtle will bugger off for a bit.

He seems to like transfer windows and poor form. Just need to keep winning and get to February.
He seems to have a soft spot for me, too.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:45 am I think if we beat Leeds Turtle will bugger off for a bit.

I just give my opinion.
I treat it like a forum not an echo chamber, and am not 12 years old anymore when everything West Ham was great. More balanced opinion now I'm an adult.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Funny old night, atmosphere, the game.

Maybe as Norwich are pretty dire we kind of thought subconsciously the 3 points were already in the bag, including maybe a few of the team??

Never really looked in trouble, some players a little off with mistakes, misplaced passes, but then at times there was some really beautiful passages of football and in the main we controlled the game. Bowen in the form of his life, Rice imperious as usual, great to see Coufal & Cress on the pitch together again, just seem more balanced with those two, although Johnson is pushing Coufal now which is a good thing. Arse was twitching a bit in the 2nd half as I thought they are going to nick an undeserved point, but fair play we got the deserved 3 points.

Chuffed with Vlasic as well, really starting to see the player now.

Moyes West Ham, even though I feel we are slightly off it, and have been for more than a few games we are undoubtedly a proper team, couple of decent new players in Jan, just to freshen it up and who knows where this season will end for us all :hamm:
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 am Special mention to the absolute bellend in the BML who spent the entire game screaming like a saddo at Kral that he was a useless **** (after asking his mate what the goalkeeper was called of course).

Seemed to be a few of those types tonight, non-regulars that had got a ticket for this one and were acting like what they think a football fan is probably supposed to be.
That's Krul, not Kral. Very cruel.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:25 am Or is it the Dean Smith effect?
It was a little watching Villa at times, lots of niggly fouls and dives at the slightest touch, just shows what the coaches are spending their time on.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:05 am It was a little watching Villa at times, lots of niggly fouls and dives at the slightest touch, just shows what the coaches are spending their time on.
Yeah it was quite apparent, what the "Dean Smith effect" was.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:50 am I just give my opinion.
I treat it like a forum not an echo chamber, and am not 12 years old anymore when everything West Ham was great. More balanced opinion now I'm an adult.
Ah, the Tony Gale defence.

Over compensating so you don't seem biased.

Here's a tip buddy, you're overdoing it.

Your idea of balanced is the most anti-West Ham posting I've ever seen.
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

Good result without being a classic. I liked the formation we started with though. Rice played a more disciplined CDM and having Lanzini alongside him gave us a lot more attacking threat. I don't think we could get away with that against the better teams though. It was nice of the Norwich midfield to observe social distancing protocols - I haven't seen our midfield get that much time on the ball this season.......!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Essexmaniac wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:56 am That's Krul, not Kral. Very cruel.
Aztec, you got mugged off m8
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Cant remember the last time i saw a team that was that poor.

Last night was our chance to finally give someone a thrashing and we had plenty of chances just our finishing wasn't there.

But a win is a win in the end.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Another not thrilling, but competent win last night.

Thought Lanzini and Rice worked well first half, Fornals had a better second half than first, Vlasic had a better first half than second. Central defence did look a lot shakier than previous games, Dawson got caught a couple of times. Cresswell and Coufal give us something extra when they're rampaging down the flanks. Rice again just sublime and Bowen was electric and extremely unlucky not to have a hattrick.

The biggest worry for me is Antonio as I am sensing more and more frustration in his game as the goals have dried up: he seems to be overthinking chances and getting very frustrated with some of the marking/tackling and there were times he looked absolutely knackered/peed off and I worry about burning him out mentally as well as physically.

Leeds will be another physical game, and they have a few players coming back so we will need to improve on killing off games earlier better than we have done so.

4th in the table again :crestnew:
S-H

Post by S-H »

k-r-c wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 am Cant remember the last time i saw a team that was that poor.
Watford?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:15 am Aztec, you got mugged off m8
You could even say... I'm a useless ****.

Over and over and over and over again. The prat even ran down to the bottom row at the final whistle against the tide of everyone leaving just to try and get even closer to Kr(U)l!
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Lot of people saying we were off the boil.

Bowen could’ve had 5 goals by himself! Antonio has to score the chance he had and if lanzini had his shooting boots he could’ve helped himself to a goal or two.

Another day we score 4/5/6 out of those chances yesterday
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:01 am Wasn't really paying attention at the time, but who was the Norwich player, on the left, who put the after burners on late during the second half?

F*ck I, was he rapid or what?
Brandon Williams Man U loanee
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:31 am Lot of people saying we were off the boil.

Bowen could’ve had 5 goals by himself! Antonio has to score the chance he had and if lanzini had his shooting boots he could’ve helped himself to a goal or two.

Another day we score 4/5/6 out of those chances yesterday
This is true but I think that's more an indictment of how easy Norwich are to play against to be honest, there's just no intensity on either side of the ball from them.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that we might get away with a similar level of performance on Sunday but if that turns up at Old Trafford next week (it won't) we should expect to get soundly beaten.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Got the win so mustn’t grumble too much, but I thought we never got out of 1st gear to be honest. Rice played too deep I thought and we didn’t see many of his darting runs. Antonio was pretty non-existent and casually strolled at times. Bowen was obviously the stand out and is in very good form at the moment.

Norwich didn’t offer a lot, as expected. Thought that Idah bloke was their best player on the pitch and it was a bizarre decision from Smith to take him off.

Not a bad atmosphere for a rearranged game on a Wednesday night, lots of free tickets sloshing about, better atmosphere than the Leeds game anyway.

Up to forth. Hat doff to the Moyeseh.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:48 am This is true but I think that's more an indictment of how easy Norwich are to play against to be honest, there's just no intensity on either side of the ball from them.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that we might get away with a similar level of performance on Sunday but if that turns up at Old Trafford next week (it won't) we should expect to get soundly beaten.
I have been saying for more than a few games we are slightly off it. We know that we will turn up for Man U (well 99.9% sure as we usually do for the big boys), so are we now as a team in that place that we can take the foot off a bit in these games and get through for the 3 points??? Sounds a bit spursy and I don't believe that to be the case at all, just a different angle on our performance(s).

To add to that, when similar/lower position in the league sides are playing us they know we are not a soft touch anymore, a little pressure is added as they know they need to be on it more and that has a detrimental effect for some players and they snatch at chances??

It's January, we are 4th, I know some teams have 2/3 games to catch up, but we are where we are on merit, even with me saying (and a few) that we are slightly off it presently. Just a different viewpoint.