✍ Nikola Vlasic

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Re: ✍ Nikola Vlasic

Post by YorksHammer »

Vlasic has really started to grow into the team, and last night for example he was one of few players on the pitch that looked to make a progressive dribble with the ball when he got hold of it. You can see why he and Benrahma have been handled in a similar way by Moyes, as they have similar attributes in that sense.

I'd like to see him pull the trigger a bit more, as I think there are a lot more goals in him that he's actually got so far. I think that'll come with confidence, though, and he's clearly growing in that sense too.

Benrahma might have a fight on his hands when he gets back from the AFCON.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 am
Time for Moyes to admit his mistake, offload and move on. Let's not have an Andedson situation where he ends up practically worthless.
:crylol:

Div.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

He tends to look competent in a largely unthreatening way.

Does feel like he needs to pull the trigger more. I'm sure it's just perception but it feels like he can barely have scraped double figures for number of shots on goal since he arrived six months ago, which is an unusual state of affairs for an AM.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

I do hope Vlasic turns out to be a winner but my argument is did we need to lay 25 million of our meagre transfer budget for a player who I think we are covered for in his position.Why did we not save the money for a left back..centre half or towards a good centre forward but having said I hope he turns out to be one of those players like Fornals who have come good.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

One of his biggest advocates, but thought he was pretty poor last night. Or at least quite a bit poorer than the Leeds game. He's clearly still adapting and it will be interesting to see what level he ends up at.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

billtho wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:32 pm I do hope Vlasic turns out to be a winner but my argument is did we need to lay 25 million of our meagre transfer budget for a player who I think we are covered for in his position.
He’s played 19 matches so far this season. We can’t have been that well covered. If we didn’t sign him, a ‘lesser’ player would have been on instead.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

LeonRivers wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 pm He’s played 19 matches so far this season. We can’t have been that well covered. If we didn’t sign him, a ‘lesser’ player would have been on instead.
Lesser? 19 appearances from an attacking midfielder and 1 goal.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

billtho wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:32 pm I do hope Vlasic turns out to be a winner but my argument is did we need to lay 25 million of our meagre transfer budget for a player who I think we are covered for in his position.Why did we not save the money for a left back..centre half or towards a good centre forward but having said I hope he turns out to be one of those players like Fornals who have come good.
Without him last night we're starting Yarmolenko or Kral/Noble. I think he was ok last night probably on par with Antonio and Fornals, hopefully in an extended run of games he'll start to show his quality.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

In terms of minutes played, he's played the equivalent of 3.25 matches in the premier league.

In the cups it works out at 2.66 matches.

1 goal and 1 assist.

There's no point in comparing output to appearances if most of those appearances are cameos. Same applies to Origi's stats.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

So two goal involvements in just under 6 matches.

Not terrible stats, and certainly not enough to warrant want him to be flogged asap.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:35 pm In terms of minutes played, he's played the equivalent of 3.25 matches in the premier league.

In the cups it works out at 2.66 matches.

1 goal and 1 assist.

There's no point in comparing output to appearances if most of those appearances are cameos. Same applies to Origi's stats.
Fair point.
You could argue that after half a season he has warranted only 3.25 matches in the PL is a little bit worrying. On top of a transfer fee of £26 million plus £7 million add ons.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by djbubbles »

I think he'll come good. He was good against Leeds but pretty average last night. We looked better when Arthur came on. Nico needs to play as well as he did against Leeds every week starting with Leeds on Sunday
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:49 pm Fair point.
You could argue that after half a season he has warranted only 3.25 matches in the PL is a little bit worrying. On top of a transfer fee of £26 million plus £7 million add ons.
And of course you would argue this as part of your never ending obsessive vendetta against all things West Ham.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Think he holds the ball really well. He plays the game like a player much bigger than him. Surprisingly strong too.

I like him. Think he may be one of those players where stats don't tell the whole story when it comes to his contribution, particularly to begin with.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:49 pm Fair point.
I dont think so. Moyes seems keen to stress that this is a project (long term) and despite being here just over two years, he said himself that this is still very much the start. He seems to me to be looking long term (as well as short term). I think it is part of the "getting the right signings". To most of us, we look and think "we are never going to get a better chance of top 4 this year", despite saying the exact same thing last season. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that Moyes sees it as building a side (squad) that will regularly be up there pushing top 4. Its why he does not care if he gets his man in Jan or the summer, as long as he gets him. There will of course be the odd ones, but I think everything he does currently is with the "long game" in mind. Along the lines of "anything we get now is a bonus ahead of schedule" but that is of course just guesswork by me.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Vlasic did not have a preseason and he came from a much slower and less physical league, on top of two years of crazy covid football.

"It doesn't take rocket appliances..."
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

So when Soucek comes back in who drops out..Fornals or Vlasic and when Benny comes back is it Fornals Vlasic or Benny.Nobody is shifting Lanzini so I will ask again without knocking Vlasic was he an important buy for us.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

billtho wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:00 pm So when Soucek comes back in who drops out..Fornals or Vlasic and when Benny comes back is it Fornals Vlasic or Benny.Nobody is shifting Lanzini so I will ask again without knocking Vlasic was he an important buy for us.
I'd suggest we continually rotate Fornals, Vlasic, Lanzini and Benrahma and also consider resting Rice and Souck in some games since Lanzini has shown he can play the deep lying midfielder role. If we don't sign a striker then Bowen will have to play a few games up top to rest Antonio which opens up another spot in midfield.

We are going to have enough games to keep everyone busy with our cup commitments, there's no need to have fixed starting XI. In fact I think it would detrimental to the second half of the season if we don't rotate between games.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

billtho wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:00 pm So when Soucek comes back in who drops out..Fornals or Vlasic and when Benny comes back is it Fornals Vlasic or Benny.Nobody is shifting Lanzini so I will ask again without knocking Vlasic was he an important buy for us.
I think so. We now have very good players providing stiff competition to each other, across the front line. He wasn't an 'instead of' (i.e. CF, CH etc.) he is a quality addition to our squad. I suspect Lanzini wasnt expected to shine as he has done recently which is a bonus. Our bench was pretty bare last night, so it will be excellent when we can mix things up much better.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Everyone was complaining about our bench options last night. When Soucek returns our bench is strengthened by Lanzini, Fornals or Vlasic, when Benrahma is back we likely have two of Lanzini, Vlasic, Benrahma and Fornals on the bench to turn to.

It's a squad game. Is there a striker we should have signed in the summer instead? Who?