Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Tezza65 »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:42 am Tezza, my understanding is that Rice is contracted until summer 2024 with an option of a further year until 2025. That is another 2 to 3 seasons after this one. I am not sure that another couple of years extension will make any difference to his value over the next 18-24 months (whereas his performances and maturity will) or whether he stays or goes.

I also understand that the main reason a new contract has not been agreed, is because Rice/Agent would want a release clause inserted. So nothing overly sinister. In which case, I assume that the two parties, on what that release clause may be, will be wildly apart. From a business perspective why would you limit the value of your biggest asset now when you don't have to? Both the club and Rice seem pretty relaxed over it and so am I.

Personally, I take the view that Rice will be looking at the World Cup later this year as a personal target/milestone rather zthan a move into uncertain waters that he doesn't need to take, yet.
I really hope I am so wrong on this lads and that is not the case.
I know he loves it at West Hamand the responsibility of being the captain too.I don't think he will have a much better dressing room,but money is a big pull.A career is only 10-15 years long and you want to get what you can in that time.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just wanted to post that i thought he was superb last night. Best player on the park by a country mile.
Last ditch tackles, winning 50/50s, storming forward and not misplacing a single pass - long or short

He covers so much ground and his movement off the ball is brilliant

A truly exceptional player who would walk into any team in world football IMHO
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

So much better playing his natural game instead of trying to be the AMC he isn't.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

His tackle in the first half is as good of a tackle I've watched. Coming in from am angle as their player was ahead of him. He had to get it spot on and nailed it. Perfect challenge, took the ball cleanly and we got the ball back after it. Norwich player asking for a foul was ridiculous.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Four assists in the league so far this season, he's certainly capable in a more attacking sense, but his best work is in the middle third.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

23 today!

Happy birthday, Deccers!

:crest:
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am 23 today!

Happy birthday, Deccers!

:crest:
Happy Birthday Dec, shame you're nearly 30
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Happy birthday old man! :arry: :scarfer:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I was 23 once

In 1992 :x
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 am In 1992 :x
I was still wetting the bed then..

Ahh, to be 18 again..
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

You know when someone special comes along and changes your whole life for the better, makes you the happiest you’ve ever been and gives you a reason for being.

Declan is that person for me.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Captain of a team that finished 6th last season and are in the top 4 now of arguably the toughest league in the world.

Over 150 games played at the top level.

Close to 30 games for his country ( :hush: ) in a critical position, being a key part of their run to a European Championship final.

All at the age of just 23.

Top class and now being talked of as genuine world class. :muscle:
RaddyKovac

Post by RaddyKovac »

Happy Birthday, Declan!

Wonder what a PL football on his wedge gets for his birthday?

He's pretty understated to be fair, so probably a Colin the Caterpillar and some nice new socks.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

I had that annoyingly catchy Manchester United chant “We’ve seen it all, we’ve won the lot, we’re Man United and we’re never gonna stop … etc” (you get the idea) in my head when hearing it the other day. A fast track to insanity I know.

To get it out of my head I thought I’d try and change it to make it a Rice song and came up with the below.

“He does it all,
Our midfield boss,
He’s Declan Rice and he’s never gonna stop,
He’s England’s best,
And Europe’s too,
He’s Declan Rice and he wears the claret and blue”.

Go easy on me.

Someone of his class deserves a chant with a bit more thought than the one we have for him right now.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

'Nobody likes you when you're twenty three'
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

For me, this summer will tell us everything about Dec's future and our club as a whole.

I feel this is his watershed moment.

He has the opportunity to stay with us, become club captain and legend, moulding a team around him and having a big say in our future.

It will mean the club making him the highest paid player and captain, and matching his talent with the very best in the transfer market.

Or the club choosing this point to cash in and cement another period of our history as 'what could have been'.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

I think what happens in the summer depends on what happens for the rest of the season. Win the FA Cup, he stays, win the Europa he stays, qualify for the Europa he stays, qualify for the Champions League he stays, finish outside of the European places and he leaves. It’s really that simple I think.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

I would love to believe all those permutations would result in him staying, but I think I would only truly expect him to stay if we managed to secure a Champions League spot. Anything less and I see a world where he leaves.

I really hope we don’t just miss out, either by coming 5th or losing in the EL final for example. I say that because if we came so close and then lose him to a big European outfit, I can see some fans getting bitter.

I would absolutely love another season from him, and part of me would expect another season from him if we get into the Champions League (big if), but he has earned a move to one of the giga-giants already in my mind, and I’d love (if/when that time comes) for him to go with our support but it rarely ever works out that way.

The one thing in our favour at the moment is that a lot of the teams that would otherwise be his suitors are out of sorts at the moment. The stars may well be aligning for another year for him at our place.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

GALF wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:28 am I would love to believe all those permutations would result in him staying, but I think I would only truly expect him to stay if we managed to secure a Champions League spot. Anything less and I see a world where he leaves.
We’ll also have to give him at least 200 bags a week - which I believe is doable but alters the entire wage structure of the club. As someone else said, a watershed moment.
RaddyKovac

Post by RaddyKovac »

The key thing with Dec is that we need to be scouting for his replacement already.

We won't ever sign another Declan, but if we got £100m for him and can sign a solid DM for £20m, and bag ourselves a LB, CB and CF with the money, his departure could make us a more balanced side.

I don't want him to go, but I hope the club are planning for both outcomes.