January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The Straw
Has liked: 588 likes
Total likes: 1422 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by The Straw »

paulhs1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 am Some people want the next level and want us to kick on yet think we can get Mbappe for £10 :shock:
You say that but some people think the term 'next level' is cliched nonsense perpetuated by barely literate pundits that also say things like 'he's unplayable on his day', 'there was contact', and who are amazed that the teams who spend billions of pounds are rather good.

Some people just want the pieces of our jigsaw to fit together nicely and for there to be reasoned debate as to how potential targets could play well in our team. We don't mind if we bring in a player from Ligue 2 for 10m who is perfect for us and our needs. Think Kante at Leicester. Think Soucek and Coufal. I'd have no problem if we unearth a blinding striker from somewhere who can run the channels, play up top on his own, bring others into play, be deadly in the box, and who fits in well with the group. And I think that's what Moyes is looking for. Rather than going ''Oh, that Haller plays really well in a certain system in Germany, lets blow 40m on him and ask him to do something completely different in England'.

What is frustrating is people desperately throwing names and figures of players around without giving thought (or even worse, having no knowledge) to what they could actually bring.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

sendô wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 am What if we spend that money and still dont make it?

The risk of spending that cash and falling short is far, far higher than not spending it and falling short.

The barcodes can afford to waste £25m plus wages for however long merely to snipe a rival - we cannot.
Hammer meet nail! :thup:
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

All these “there must be someone posts” are strange.

Do people think that Moyes has identified a suitable target - availability, skill, attitude and budget wise - for whatever role and is simply not signing him to spite the fans?

What is clear (and has been over several windows) is he will not accept just any player because the chairman an agent or whoever has suggested him yet that seems to be exactly what people want him to do.

Striker wise that is the reason why we are such a laughing stock signings wise when it comes to numbers over the years. The throw enough **** at the wall and something must stick. Well the two decent strikers of the last 5 years were both signed as wingers.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We are not paying 55m fir a player

Realistic targets

CF x1 bayo 15m , traore 20m
CB x 2 Philips 10m tarkowski 5m caleta car loan

30m spend
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:38 am All these “there must be someone posts” are strange.

Striker wise that is the reason why we are such a laughing stock signings wise when it comes to numbers over the years.
I’m surprised that some crappy tabloid hasn’t written an article on it, if I’m honest.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:38 am Do people think that Moyes has identified a suitable target - availability, skill, attitude and budget wise - for whatever role and is simply not signing him to spite the fans?
If I was guessing I would say that Moyes has identified forward players that may not be available until the Summer. I have previously said that I am fine for the quality over quantity approach to signings that Moyes is adopting. Given the job he has done for us so far I think he has earned the right to do things his own way. However, there is another argument, and I think it’s a valid one, which highlights the need to capitalise on a set of circumstances that do not present themselves to West Ham fans very often ie going deep into domestic and European cup competitions and competing near the top of the league.

I do feel that west fans deserve the best chance to celebrate a cup win or qualification again for Europe. This for me means bolstering the squad and ensuring where possible that our challenges on three fronts are not extinguished by lack of cover when there is a glaring opportunity to plug holes.

I do think there would be a backlash if for the third consecutive window Moyes failed to land a striker plus Antonio and perhaps another forward player suffered a long term injury. As TTS mentioned in a previous post Moyes will eventually have to play the market that is available to him and not keep deferring signings to the next window.
Hamburger
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Hamburger »

ironilunga wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:54 pm I don’t want us to compromise on quality and I like the idea of bringing in players of comparable or better quality to what we have. However, there does come a time when you have to consider the best available right now.

Ill be incredibly frustrated if the opportunities that exist for us in the FA, Europa and Prem are dashed by lack of depth. So unnecessary.
Quite right. Also I have no doubt though that Moyes has identified players in the past which we have inquired about and lost due to Sullivan's antics. From a player's perspective, would you feel inclined to join a club that values you with some derisory offer or cheapskate loan? Or a club that says 'we want you here's the money' (aka Pata). I understand that we have budget limitations but to ultra low ball every single offer and jeapordise it from the start is ludicrous. We forget there are emotions involved along with personal connections, it's not simply a cut and dried business process. I have absolutely no confidence if Sullivan is in the loop using his barrow boy ability to convince a club or player to join us.

I have to say that I'm disappointed with Newman so far. I can't believe a full time, highly paid, experienced, well connected scout cannot identity a single suitable, available player in the world for the start of the window in any of the 3 positions that we need. Can anyone throw any light on what he's done (or does) for the club? Moyes has stated that he still scouts himself.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3034 likes
Total likes: 2681 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:25 amI have to say that I'm disappointed with Newman so far. I can't believe a full time, highly paid, experienced, well connected scout cannot identity a single suitable, available player in the world for the start of the window in any of the 3 positions that we need. Can anyone throw any light on what he's done (or does) for the club?
What if he has identified several players, but those are only available late in the window?

Plus, as far as I understand, Newman's responsibilty in terms of Scouting seems to be more long term. Building a Scouting Department nearly from scratch and get a better feel for the market plus to create positive relationships with future West Ham players and/or certain agents.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

Have seen a Filip Kostic rumour on a German site. Would prefer him over all possible offensive midfield players who currently are associated with us.

He´s a great player on the left side. A perfect winger, very quick, good crosses and a massive shot. :newthumb:

Bowen on the right, Kostic on the left, and we are unstoppable!
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:01 am We are not paying 55m fir a player

Realistic targets

CF x1 bayo 15m , traore 20m
CB x 2 Philips 10m tarkowski 5m caleta car loan

30m spend
Someone put up an excellent post on here a few weeks back with a brief for a defender and a price of £55m. At the time I thought it a tad excessive for a defender but taking into account our current league position seems justifiable right now.
Last edited by paulhs1 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The only position in attack I think we need to invest in isn’t a striker but a right sided one.

On the left we have Benrahma, Vlasic, Fornals and Masuaku (at a push) who can play there. Up front we have Antonio and Bowen who can play there. On the right, who can play there when Bowen isn’t? The only player who can play there, Mr. Yarmolenko will no longer be a West Ham player at the end of the season.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Andrea Belotti please
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 am The only position in attack I think we need to invest in isn’t a striker but a right sided one.

Up front we have Antonio and Bowen who can play there. On the right, who can play there when Bowen isn’t?
I disagree. Bringing in a really good centre forward not only adds more goals to the team but it also potentially means Antonio can be utilised on the right on occasions.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

JLCABA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:21 am Andrea Belotti please
Beautiful voice
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

ironilunga wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 am Beautiful voice
Available for a tenor?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2578 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I still think Belotti, if we signed him, would be utterly rubbish here.

I'm not sure why I think that - I actually really like him as a player. It's just a feeling I have.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 3493 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I'm told the Lee Buchanan link has legs. Derby, not WHU source on this occasion. Suggested fee ITRO £2m.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1081 likes
Total likes: 1388 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 am I'm told the Lee Buchanan link has legs. Derby, not WHU source on this occasion. Suggested fee ITRO £2m.
:newthumb:

We're probably put off by Hickey's price given his age.

I'd love to see us send Longelo the other way in exchange for 18 months. Give him time to show he can do it at that level while we have a young player who can cover for Cresswell.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Have to admit, I've never seen Lee Buchanan play once and know nothing about him. I assume he's decent if we're after him?
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If we're going to be bringing in a youngster though then it does make sense to do it in that position where we already have a perfectly good first choice and extra reasonable cover in Johnson. It'll give him additional time to adapt without too much initial pressure.