✍ Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4739 likes

Re: Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:29 am Won't quote but I didn't think there was a potential to be such a moron.
I'm choosing not to quote to protect those who have foed :lol:
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am Decision making with the ball, composure in front of goal, quality of passing.
Can't fault his effort though. Real 100 % every game.
Is this too far wrong?

I like Bowen, he's been a brilliant signing and I would have him in my XI every week but there are definite areas for improvement in his overall game which I think Turtlecharityracer is not far off with.

Sometimes you can see him caught in two minds on whether to shoot or pass. I think the same applies with whether he should run with it or play simply. While he has had a recent goal rush, you look earlier on in the season where he missed a lot of chances. To be honest, he probably should have converted more over the last 5-6 games as well. A very top player gets at least a hattrick from Tuesday night. And his passing is not the greatest, often rushed or without the required level of pace on the ball.

That's why he's at West Ham at the moment. But if his progress over the last 18 months is to go by, you would think he has the mentality and desire to improve in all those areas.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Some quotes on this thread by posters within last 8 weeks or so. I guess I'm not the only one who feels people are going over the top about him.:

'For all his good in the first 45/60, you can see the parts where he lacks when we dominate.
When we have space to cross or defences go deep, he loses impact. Definitely proves he's an option in open games, but there's a reason we need a proper striker'

'I was behind the goal for his chance in injury time the other night. I’ve avoided all highlights but I’m pretty sure that shot wasn’t going in. The concerning thing for me was I knew he wouldn’t put it away, and I think that’s because he has developed a habit of snatching at these chances. He doesn’t seem to be confident or composed in those moments. You’d hope it’s a case of once he puts one away, they’ll start flowing in.'

'I love Bowen but for the love of Brooking, Moore and Bonds he has to start putting some more chances away.'

'A one in five striker and when the chances do come they always seem to be on his weaker right foot. His head never drops though, so keep going JB.'

'Gave the ball away 18 times last night and lost more than half of his tackles. His stats have been abysmal all season (2 goals from 14 shots on target and 4 assists which were all corners) but because he ‘puts in a shift’ people seem to rate him. Not saying he’s bad but not saying he’s that good either.'

'He is, or at least is performing, both statistically and by the eye test, as the worst finisher in the league'

'He's been a very good signing and doesn't stop grafting. But his habit of smacking it at the keeper or scuffing them from 5 yards out does my nut in.'

'Got to stop schoolboy push and run tactics to get round the full backs.'

'Looks lost right now, who is our attacking coach? He is not the only one who goes to **** when in the box.'

'Our finishing isn’t great at all to be honest, Bowen is definitely one of the worst culprits though. Misses so many chances.'

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Bowen's xG is about 3 more than he's actually scored, in the league, this season.

Now, there's a lot to be said for stats not being the be all and end all. But there is an argument that he needs to be more clinical in front of goal. That said, having 5 at the halfway point of the season for us is pretty impressive (same number as Benrahma, of course) and there's time for him to take a few more chances and balance out that disparity as the season goes on.

He is certainly key to us, and we should not countenance selling unless the offer is significant and can be reinvested to get a replacement and also improve the rest of the first team.
Turtlecharityracer

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:30 am I'm choosing not to quote to protect those who have foed :lol:
Genuinely, I think a forum is for opinions and not echo chambers, so give mine.
You don't seem so, well, open minded and my posts seem to negatively affect you. They seem to really spoil your day.
Would it not be best for your mental health if you blocked me? It seems it may enhance your day and help your mental health.

BTW, I have no issue with you just don't want to see you have grey days.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I have been critical of him, I still wouldn’t call him a striker (in a solo system) and he can drift out of games, but £27.5m as a yardstick for his value is obviously not sensible.
Turtlecharityracer

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:47 am I have been critical of him, I still wouldn’t call him a striker (in a solo system) and he can drift out of games, but £27.5m as a yardstick for his value is obviously not sensible.
Edouard at Crystal Palace has played just over half the minutes of Bowen this season and scored the same amount of goals in what many would say is a lesser team. He cost £15 million.
What should we then value Bowen at this season?
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

If Liverpool came with an offer of £60-70m I’d sell him.

It’s Rice that for me is irreplaceable.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

Turtzlecharityracer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:54 am Edouard at Crystal Palace has played just over half the minutes of Bowen this season and scored the same amount of goals in what many would say is a lesser team. He cost £15 million.
On that basis Kane' s is worth about 10 bob
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

old fart wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 pm On that basis Kane' s is worth about 10 bob
Which is about 8 to many.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:54 am Edouard at Crystal Palace has played just over half the minutes of Bowen this season and scored the same amount of goals in what many would say is a lesser team. He cost £15 million.
English premium, consistent performance, not just being about goals, playing a different position, Edouard’s value has also probably increased - and isn’t really relevant to Bowen’s.

Bowen has the most goal involvements of any English player in the league. Consistent improvement too, whilst helping a team to fight for a top four place. It’s just a clear false equivalence there
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4739 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:46 am Genuinely, I think a forum is for opinions and not echo chambers, so give mine.
You don't seem so, well, open minded and my posts seem to negatively affect you. They seem to really spoil your day.
Would it not be best for your mental health if you blocked me? It seems it may enhance your day and help your mental health.

BTW, I have no issue with you just don't want to see you have grey days.
I'd be more worried about your own mental health, seeing as every single post you make is dripping with negativity. :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Turning into a gem of a player, he is getting in far more positions to score, his work rate, running with the ball, helping out his full back, showing for the ball, passing, is getting better all the time...

Quality player and my HOTY after Dec
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

sendo, still looking for online friends, My virtual door is always open hun?

:wink:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Turtlecharityracer

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:07 pm English premium, consistent performance, not just being about goals, playing a different position, Edouard’s value has also probably increased - and isn’t really relevant to Bowen’s.

Bowen has the most goal involvements of any English player in the league. Consistent improvement too, whilst helping a team to fight for a top four place. It’s just a clear false equivalence there
Fair enough.
Out of interest, what would you value Muapay? Played in Engkish football a long time, 2 more goals than Bowen in just over two thirds of Bowens minutes in a lesser team.

I just feel Bowens valuation according to West Ham fans is a bit ridiculous. Many, many were criticising him a couple of months ago.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm If Liverpool came with an offer of £60-70m I’d sell him.

It’s Rice that for me is irreplaceable.
Not for me... let's get 60m so we can find another bowen.
Liverpool won't put Salah in the shop window to find another Salah and we should avoid doing the same. We've come too far as a club to start dismantling it.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

I see a lot of talk about his goals, should he have more (maybe he should) but not his 7 assists which make joint third highest in the league.

When you add the two together there’s only really Salah in the league who’s getting better output than that. Although there’s always room for improvement he is having a superb season.

In terms of value, £60-70 million for me. His goal contributions, age, English premium and work rate make him pretty much unique.

If he steps up his finishing slightly (say gets 10 more goals between now and the end of the season) he’s a £100 million player.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

Well, Maupay has two more goals in the last two seasons (well, season and a half), but has spent the majority of his time up front. He’s also got 9 less assists (which doesn’t include penalties won, which Bowen has now got a few), has underperformed his xG by 3 goals (Bowen about .4 underperformance in this time), average shot distance is closer, gets less on target.

It’s difficult as they play two separate positions, but Bowen is basically better at everything. More tackles, interceptions, better in the air, dribbles far more progressively. Creates more chances, sharper in front of goals, gets significantly more assists, dead ball threat.

I like Maupay, he’s a prick and should score a few more, but has helped Brighton a lot. He’s probably in the £25-30m range, maybe less cos he misses too many chances. But then if he were to be chased by Liverpool or that ilk, the value goes up as a premium you force them to pay.

Considering all of that, you’d be foolish to sell Bowen for less than £45m, and the English premium probably makes that at least £50m. Considering we don’t need the money, he has a good contract and his current trajectory, no idea why anyone would sell for much less, probably looking for more.