✍ Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

Post by sendô »

If Bowen was burying the chances he is involved in at 1 in 2 rather than 1 in 3, he'd be approaching Salah levels in terms of stats.

West Ham fans pointing this out does not mean we do not think he is any good, or that would should "get rid" if someone bids a mere £27.5m, but then a West Ham fan would understand this.

Bowen has only just turned 25. He's improved steadily since he joined us, and is now turning out stats that are up there with some of the best attackers in the league. In the last few games he's gone up a notch and is starting to bury more chances. I think would could well be about to witness a proper purple patch from him.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:29 pm Not for me... let's get 60m so we can find another bowen.
Liverpool won't put Salah in the shop window to find another Salah and we should avoid doing the same. We've come too far as a club to start dismantling it.
There’s only three sides in the Premier League who are in a position to never really be worried about other team’s going for their players imo.

This isn’t going to be popular, but Bowen is replaceable. However much I like him if we received crazy money, we now have the infrastructure behind the scenes to plan for it, identify targets and go upgrade the squad.

We shouldn’t be scared of selling players at a massive profit and then reinvesting that back into the squad.*

*before someone comes in and mentions the owners, I know. I’m just talking in a general sense to be honest.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Absolutely right. If we get a ridiculous bid and Moyes has already identified a replacement, there's nothing wrong with accepting the bid.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:56 pm we now have the infrastructure behind the scenes to plan for it, identify targets and go upgrade the squad.

We shouldn’t be scared of selling players at a massive profit and then reinvesting that back into the squad.*
Although I kind of agree with your logic, we have been after a striker for 2 years now and can’t seem to find one so what makes you think we can go out and find a Bowen replacement ?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

In my opinion, if we have the ambition to be a top six club, you don't sell Bowen to a rival
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

£27.5m :crylol:

Think of what needs to happen if we sell Bowen.

1) Replace him in the squad - as I mentioned in the Vlasic thread we currently have 5 realistic options to play around Antonio and cover about 150 starts.
2) Upgrade in the team - if that's not happening then why bother selling?

Those points can be done separately or with one signing. Who the hell are we signing for that money that as near as damn guarantees we improve as a team by selling Bowen?

Chuck another £20m on that fee and the club might start thinking about it.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Believer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:12 pm Although I kind of agree with your logic, we have been after a striker for 2 years now and can’t seem to find one so what makes you think we can go out and find a Bowen replacement ?
An out and out striker is the hardest position to recruit in this league. Bowen falls into the attacking midfielder who can play anywhere box, there’s a lot more options in that area now, just the way the game’s gone.

To be clear, I don’t want him going anywhere. But if we’re offered stupid money like Grealish we should take it.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Does he get away from the better fullbacks?

Certainly good for us at the moment but a bit short of being top quality yet.

He's currently having a purple patch against poorer teams I would suggest.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I think Turtle has overdone his trolling with that £27.5 million bit.

He's now lost any sense of reality, there's not a real football fan out there who would suggest taking a £5 million profit on the in form English forward in the world.

A 30 year old Chris Wood with 3 goals this season went for that.
Bubbles Fortuna

irving boleyn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm Does he get away from the better fullbacks?

Certainly good for us at the moment but a bit short of being top quality yet.

He's currently having a purple patch against poorer teams I would suggest.
He destroyed Chelsea, they couldn't get near him.

Assist against Liverpool, goal and a penalty won against Chelsea.
sendô

Post by sendô »

irving boleyn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm Does he get away from the better fullbacks?
For our second against Liverpool he left Robinson, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Fabinho and Van Dijk trailing in his wake when he put the burners on.

He then also had the wherewithal to draw Matip into a challenge before laying in on for Fornals to take in his stride.

Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Rozzop »

If you count penalties and free kicks won that convert to goals he has 17 goal involvements in 21 league games this season.

43% of our league goals have involved Bowen.

He is as important to us as Salah is to Liverpool
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:50 pm If Bowen was burying the chances he is involved in at 1 in 2 rather than 1 in 3, he'd be approaching Salah levels in terms of stats.

West Ham fans pointing this out does not mean we do not think he is any good, or that would should "get rid" if someone bids a mere £27.5m, but then a West Ham fan would understand this.
I think this is where the discussion is, though, and where we need to look if we're going to ever improve - can we get Bowen scoring 1 chance out of 2 instead of 1 out of 3? If you say he's converting 1 in 3 for his five league goals, that suggests 15 chances. With the right coaching, could he develop into having 7/8 goals from those chances? I think he's probably the type of player that will put the hard work in behind the scenes to get there, working on his positioning, timing his runs, and finishing will all help him out.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yes he could, that's the point.

Also, as pointed out above, he is good at winning free kicks and has also won two penalties now nicking the ball.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

This season so far, and in fact 2021 as a whole, Bowen has been far more influential and productive in the PL than the likes of Kane, Rashford, Greenwood, Grealish & Son to name just 5

He's also just 25 years old and English

And some trolling idiot thinks we should sell him for under 30m :rofl:
Bubbles Fortuna

chalks wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:39 pm This season so far, and in fact 2021 as a whole, Bowen has been far more influential and productive in the PL than the likes of Kane, Rashford, Greenwood, Grealish & Son to name just 5

He's also just 25 years old and English

And some trolling idiot thinks we should sell him for under 30m :rofl:
He's worth 1/4 of a Grealish don't you know!

He's worth 1 Chris Wood. Or just shy of 3 Dwight Gayle's!
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

:newthumb:
hammers92 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:26 pm An out and out striker is the hardest position to recruit in this league. Bowen falls into the attacking midfielder who can play anywhere box, there’s a lot more options in that area now, just the way the game’s gone.

To be clear, I don’t want him going anywhere. But if we’re offered stupid money like Grealish we should take it.
Fair point especially the 2nd one :newthumb:
Davev
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by Davev »

If 25 year old Grealish is sold for £100 million, I don't see why should entertain anything less than that for 25 year old Bowen. Bowen's output is better and is improving every game.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

plus bowen is more professional and not an idiot in his private life. can see pep getting fed up with grealish if he doesnt produce soon
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

A player is having a really good season yet some posters are still picking holes. Just enjoy him playing well FFS.