January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Ozza wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:04 pm Vardy and Wilson have both been / are injured as has Lukaku who isnt included on this list
I only looked at the top 20 goalscorers, Lukaku didn't make that cut off, Vardy and Maupay did as examples of strikers who are scoring.

Chelsea have been playing much better with Havertz as their central figure than Lukaku.
Colonial Marine
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Colonial Marine »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:28 pm Messi plays in the French league and he is reported as being unhappy. So based entirely upon that, I reckon it's him
Messi would be good to come off the bench for Bowen. I suppose this could work :chin:

Nice to have some transfer hints to mull over. Cheers again Pezza 👍
Bubbles Fortuna

upton o'good wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:22 pm I see Jeremy Ngakia comes out v positive as a right back...
Which is promising considering we rated Johnson and Ashby higher.

It's a shame all three came through together, could've done with one of them coming through 10 years ago.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:09 pm Right understood.
Suppose teams spread goals around more but its an interesting point. Do you spend £35m on a goal scorer or does the money go on someone that creates opportunities for attackers in the team?

Suppose the answer is someone who does both.....

You wonder how Dean Ashton would do now.
He was a big strong target man but clever and could play people in. Suppose he could never really run the channels.
You design the system to exploit the best you have (Wood and Burnley a prime example). If you have Ashton (who was real class at what he did in holding the ball up, bringing in others and finishing chances) you get in players to exploit these strengths, you do not ask him to run channels but have players running for him to find.

It is why Haller is not a bad player he was just wrongly managed by MP and by the end demotivated. Had he not been injured immediately post lockdown he may well gave started in the middle not Antonio and it could have turned his West Ham career around had he performed (I recall how dangerous we looked with him, Bowen and Antonio just before lockdown) but he was and the rest is history.

By the time he left he was a total fish out of water given the way the team had been built and the style Moyes wanted to play.

I keep reading of a plan B but where a substitution is not “like for like” that requires a big impact player (AC was a prime example) who can change a game in essence on their own. Haller was never this. Having plan B as your regular back up begs the issue of totally changing style when your Plan A is out, in essence perhaps adversely effecting the remaining outfield players.
Bubbles Fortuna

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:37 pm You design the system to exploit the best you have (Wood and Burnley a prime example). If you have Ashton (who was real class at what he did in holding the ball up, bringing in others and finishing chances) you get in players to exploit these strengths, you do not ask him to run channels but have players running for him to find.

It is why Haller is not a bad player he was just wrongly managed by MP and by the end demotivated. Had he not been injured immediately post lockdown he may well gave started in the middle not Antonio and it could have turned his West Ham career around had he performed (I recall how dangerous we looked with him, Bowen and Antonio just before lockdown) but he was and the rest is history.

By the time he left he was a total fish out of water given the way the team had been built and the style Moyes wanted to play.

I keep reading of a plan B but where a substitution is not “like for like” that requires a big impact player (AC was a prime example) who can change a game in essence on their own. Haller was never this. Having plan B as your regular back up begs the issue of totally changing style when your Plan A is out, in essence perhaps adversely effecting the remaining outfield players.
So few teams play with the big man through the middle anymore, that's the thing.

Antonio is much more than that, Chelsea and Man Utd both look weaker with Lukaku and Ronaldo in that role, Liverpool and Man City have abandoned it completely.

Wolves are probably the highest rated team that have persisted with it.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

theswede wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:33 pmNo thanks
5 goals in 11 PL appearances this season.

vs

No backup at all.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:39 pm So few teams play with the big man through the middle anymore, that's the thing.

Antonio is much more than that, Chelsea and Man Utd both look weaker with Lukaku and Ronaldo in that role, Liverpool and Man City have abandoned it completely.

Wolves are probably the highest rated team that have persisted with it.
Chelsea play with Lukaku .. when he is selected ..
Spurs play with Kane
Arsenal play Auba/Laca

Man City are an anomoly as even when they had Aguero he was never really a CF, he drifted around a bit like Antonio does.

When you say 'big man' I assume you mean a Carroll, or a Wood, the CF in my view is a focal point, doesn't need to be a big man.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Are we looking at loans beacause our long term targets aren't available this window or is it due to a lack of money?
SG12FFS
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by SG12FFS »

stammer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:05 pm SG12FFS - Sullivan and Gold 12 yrs For Forks Sake ?
No fella. Ware Herts. Surrounded by Spurs C***s
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

NWhammer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:01 pm Are we looking at loans because our long term targets aren't available this window or is it due to a lack of money?
Nothing to do with money, but if you know a car is worth £1,000 why would you pay £5k for it in January when you can get it for £1k 6 months later. Only reason is if you are desperate .. (Newcastle) - who would pay £25m for Wood !!
the bubble hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by the bubble hammer »

pezza20 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:06 pm
Lingard still being pursued
Cheers for the info Pezza. I was hoping that was still going to be the case even though its gone a bit quiet around him. I genuinely think we would be more of a force with him in our side.
Interestingly, the club put a photo up with Lingard and Dec celebrating this afternoon on Facebook. I know its Dec's birthday but they had already posted about that.
After last season, there is no way he wouldn't be one of our priority targets.
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

the bubble hammer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:11 pm Cheers for the info Pezza. I was hoping that was still going to be the case even though its gone a bit quiet around him. I genuinely think we would be more of a force with him in our side.
Interestingly, the club put a photo up with Lingard and Dec celebrating this afternoon on Facebook. I know its Dec's birthday but they had already posted about that.
After last season, there is no way he wouldn't be one of our priority targets.
Lingard posted same pic on his Instagram wishing Dec a happy birthday :chin:
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Still would not shock me if we did not sign anyone!!
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Ins:
Diallo (loan)
Lingard
Cabral

Outs:
Randolph
Yarmolenko

Would be a very sensible and achievable window, although I always thought, even since the summer, that Lingard would run his contract down, so possibly a different attacking midfielder instead of him.

And then focus on Hickey, Kamara (free), Hlozek and a long-term replacement for Ogbonna in the summer.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Can't believe we've had no offers for Yarmolenko. What's wrong with other clubs? Get the cash out!
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

sounds reasonable but I wouldnt write off traore turning up here for a 15m fee when spuirs decide to buy some foreign big thing.

diallo I believe can cover LB so makes sense.

like everyone I am unsure if lingard will turn up here. I hope so as it will give us a real boost
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

I thought Yarmalenko was off to Genoa to put a frog on his lapel and shout bibble at passers by?
Shaun Newton
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Shaun Newton »

Jackanakanory wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:43 pm I thought Yarmalenko was off to Genoa to put a frog on his lapel and shout bibble at passers by?
Shevchenko looks like he is close to getting the axe so that's likely off.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Burnley looking at Andy Carroll according to the Internet social media thingys.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Shaun Newton wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:49 pm Shevchenko looks like he is close to getting the axe so that's likely off.
I think that there is some kind of rule on eligibility that would stop him (Yammie) moving the Serie A in Jan. I think the summer was when it would happen