January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by upton o'good »

pezza20 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:08 pm Nothing to do with money, but if you know a car is worth £1,000 why would you pay £5k for it in January when you can get it for £1k 6 months later. Only reason is if you are desperate .. (Newcastle) - who would pay £25m for Wood !!
Stretching that analogy, because the car allows you to get to that highly paid job in Europe you otherwise miss out on?

And to be honest, I don't really believe the £1k in the summer story anyway...We've had a space for another striker for a year - how come prices didn't drop last summer. Maybe that car is always gonna cost £5k
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

upton o'good wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:54 pm Stretching that analogy, because the car allows you to get to that highly paid job in Europe you otherwise miss out on?

And to be honest, I don't really believe the £1k in the summer story anyway...We've had a space for another striker for a year - how come prices didn't drop last summer. Maybe that car is always gonna cost £5k
Players out of contract (or closer to being so)??
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:36 pm Which is promising considering we rated Johnson and Ashby higher.

It's a shame all three came through together, could've done with one of them coming through 10 years ago.
or makes you worry the analytical approach is flawed.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

upton o'good wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:54 pm Stretching that analogy, because the car allows you to get to that highly paid job in Europe you otherwise miss out on?

The way I see it is.

We're in a race with 4 other cars. We're currently 1st and have 18 miles to go. The car we're in is brilliant but some of the parts have been breaking down and we've been making do til now, however we can't expect that to last for the remaining 18 miles. Now there's this b*stard of a mechanic who's selling some new parts but he's asking for 5k when the parts are only worth 1k. There's no guarantee that with this new part we'll win the race, we could just wait til the next race but the trouble is in that race we might not be anywhere near the position we're in now.

There's a good chance that if we don't win this race one of the other teams will steal our engine as well.

There comes a point where you've got to overpay for things that you desperately need.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4738 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

upton o'good wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:57 pm or makes you worry the analytical approach is flawed.
Johnson has played more for us this season than Ngakia has, I don't think there's any question that we're happy to have him rather than Ngakia, would have been nice if he had stayed but we're well stocked.

He can't get in the Watford team over Craig Cathcart out of position or Kiko, it's nice that the academy is producing decent players but I doubt we've missed much.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

NWhammer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:03 pm The way I see it is.

We're in a race with 4 other cars. We're currently 1st and have 18 miles to go. The car we're in is brilliant but some of the parts have been breaking down and we've been making do til now, however we can't expect that to last for the remaining 18 miles. Now there's this b*stard of a mechanic who's selling some new parts but he's asking for 5k when the parts are only worth 1k. There's no guarantee that with this new part we'll win the race, we could just wait til the next race but the trouble is in that race we might not be anywhere near the position we're in now.

There's a good chance that if we don't win this race one of the other teams will steal our engine as well.

There comes a point where you've got to overpay for things that you desperately need.
Or we buy some second hand spare parts, and because they are well worn, tried and tested and the new parts would need wearing in, so the car actually runs better on used parts, as the sum of the parts are better than one main cog.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 501 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Jackanakanory wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:43 pm I thought Yarmalenko was off to Genoa to put a frog on his lapel and shout bibble at passers by?
Oh, our Italian cousins
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3181 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Yeah but sometimes a car is blue and you're in that advert
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Is overspending on turbo fuel for your Ford Fiesta worth it when you are probably going to lose out to the Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren F1 and Lamborghini anyway? Perhaps setting the money aside for more powerful Cosworth engine that is on backorder would be a smarter strategy for your longer term goals?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

pezza20 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:12 pm Or we buy some second hand spare parts, and because they are well worn, tried and tested and the new parts would need wearing in, so the car actually runs better on used parts, as the sum of the parts are better than one main cog.
And buying some cheaper brake pads may be smarter in the short term than splashing out on a whole new braking system that will need broken in and could perhaps fail due to a rush install.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Imagine the Geordie reaction if Steve Bruce had bought Chris Wood for £25m!!! :crylol:
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:25 pm Is overspending on turbo fuel for your Ford Fiesta worth it when you are probably going to lose out to the Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren F1 and Lamborghini anyway? Perhaps setting the money aside for more powerful Cosworth engine that is on backorder would be a smarter strategy for your longer term goals?
I would like to be the first to welcome Professor Jonathan Van-Tam to the forum. :winker:
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3197 likes

Post by WCpete »

pezza20 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:06 pm
Lingard still being pursued
At this point I'd plunk an offer on the table, tell him 'there it is... you have our number', and stop pursuing.

Jesse's sense of self importance is getting in the way of his making good career choices. He isn't as needed as he was last season. I'd love to have him back, but only if he really wants to come. So, imo, accept the gig or go get your big payday at Newcastle, but get off the fence. We shouldn't let him play us against other clubs/ You either want to come or you don't.
Bubbles Fortuna

WCpete wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:02 pm At this point I'd plunk an offer on the table, tell him 'there it is... you have our number', and stop pursuing.

Jesse's sense of self importance is getting in the way of his making good career choices. He isn't as needed as he was last season. I'd love to have him back, but only if he really wants to come. So, imo, accept the gig or go get your big payday at Newcastle, but get off the fence. We shouldn't let him play us against other clubs/ You either want to come or you don't.
It's not just him though, it's Man Utd as well. We still have to deal with them and I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to strengthen us.

Imagine if they sell us Lingard and his goals propel us to fourth, their fans would be livid.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

WCpete wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:02 pm At this point I'd plunk an offer on the table, tell him 'there it is... you have our number', and stop pursuing.

Have we already agreed a fee with man utd? Surely that comes first?
Davev
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by Davev »

I think Lingard will join, but not until after we have played Man Utd. He looked lively when he came on against Villa in the cup.
Bubbles Fortuna

Honestly if I were Man Utd I wouldn't sell Lingard to us.

The most we'll offer is £15 million, if he produces anything close to last seasons form our chances of finishing top 6 will increase big time.

They'll see us above them already, Arsenal and Tottenham improving, is £15 million for Lingard worth possibly condemning then to 7th?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

We'll get some new windscreen wipers and go faster stripes.

This is fun.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3197 likes

Post by WCpete »

I can't remember where I saw it yesterday, but it wasn't off a known rubbish source. Said Lingard is asking for 200K/week from us. I assumed then that we had progressed further down the line with MU than I guess we really have.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:15 pm We'll get some new windscreen wipers and go faster stripes.

This is fun.
Duje Ćaleta-Car

:thup: