Is now a good time for the season to be suspended?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

sendô
Has liked: 768 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Re: Is now a good time for the season to be suspended?

Post by sendô » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:17 pm

It's an absolute joke, and a good summation of where we've arrived at with match cancellations that Arsenal feel they can even ask for a cancellation.

They have just ONE covid case. They also have 4 away at AFCON, 4 injuries, one suspension due to Xhaka being Xhaka, and a couple of "knocks".

Anyone else remember Boro being docked 3 points and subsequently relegated in 97 because they couldn't field a team for a match?

If they fail to play, dock them points and - as much as it pains me - award Spurs a 3-0 win.

DublinDave
Has liked: 116 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by DublinDave » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:26 pm

sendô wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:17 pm
If they fail to play, dock them points and - as much as it pains me - award Spurs a 3-0 win.
Ah here... Steady on Ted, let's not be saying things you may regret in the cold light of day...!
:winker:

NWhammer
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by NWhammer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:27 pm

Refuse their request and see what team they put out.

k-r-c
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by k-r-c » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 pm

Why did Arsenal release that they have requested postponement? I can’t help but feel they think they have something to gain by making a song and dance about it rather than asking behind the scenes.

Billydinho
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Billydinho » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:35 pm

The premier league have set the precedent. They can’t turn them down.

Tezza65
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Tezza65 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 pm

Pretty pissed off with all this crap tbh.

Spurs and Man U started this crap...What goes around comes around,so f*ck Spurs!

I would like the PL to tell them clubs they need to play all these games by a certain time,like before the end of March..I want all these c**ts to get f*cked up!

Like to see Man U,Spurs and Arsenal out of the Top 4..Leicester nowhere near Europe,with Newcastle and Burnley relegated.

It would give me even more pleasure if we went onto win something because of fixture congestion.

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 pm

Billydinho wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:35 pm
The premier league have set the precedent. They can’t turn them down.
When it's one COVID case they surely have to?

Bubbles Fortuna

Post by Bubbles Fortuna » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:42 pm

Great for us though, we all know that Moyes is only a good manager in a pandemic.

DublinDave
Has liked: 116 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by DublinDave » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:54 pm

Tezza65 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 pm
It would give me even more pleasure if we went onto win something because of fixture congestion.
The thing is Tezza, I think Moyes is rubbing his hands in glee over this situation...
All of our top 6 competitors are postponing games leaving us with points on the board...
We gassed at the end of last season & our competitors, with bigger & more expensive squads eclipsed us at the final hurdle...
If we have 8 league games to play in April/May, they could have 11 or 12 & that's not counting Europe or the FA cup... Could be great...

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 405 likes
Total likes: 327 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:56 pm

We've supposedly got 2 out with Covid yet we don't ask for a cancellation - how on earth can Arsenal justify this ?????????????

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 191 likes

Post by Georgee Paris » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:24 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:56 pm
We've supposedly got 2 out with Covid yet we don't ask for a cancellation - how on earth can Arsenal justify this ?????????????
Plus half our defence and also a player at afcon

The Straw
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by The Straw » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:29 pm

S-H wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:58 pm
This is great. It might not mean much to any other football fan, but this kind of thing, which is entirely down to Moyes' attitude and work ethic, has restored some pride in our club. We've lost a lot of respect in the wider football fraternity in the last decade for obvious reasons (which probably started with Tevez to be fair), and it's nice to know that we have such a classy manager who wants to do things the right way :hamm:

Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm

If clubs are using covid as an excuse to get games cancelled for there own gains and are found out including the excuse of injured players along side it then they shouid be deducted points, each team as a 25 man squad then use it, we've at to get on with it with youngsters on the bench ( top 6 mentality again )
OK teams have players at ancon then in future either make sqauds 30 or when teams loan players out ( like Chelsea have 20 out on loan ) have an agreement that players have to return to parent club ( depending how many players from each side are away ) to be able to recall them, it's the one law for them and another law for us I'm afraid :newthumb:

kitthehammer
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by kitthehammer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:18 am

I think its outrageous arsenal are asking for this partly on the basis of players at afcon and even suspension. The idea is it is strictly illness through covid and if they have 13 fut players isn’t it?

They have a squad of 25 players and kids they can play. They have known all season a number of their players would be at afcon so knew from the outset if you have african players they wont be here, just as we knew our one player would be away.

If you dont want them there then dont buy loads of players all from one competition zone, like loads of brazillians away in the south american equivalent.

They have also had half a month to bring players in during the transfer window as cover and they are putting bids in now for players. If they are unprepared that is their problem whilst other teams are forward thinking but in effect are at a disadvantage to arsenal.

What do they want next? All their games postponed until the end of afcon so they can have all their best players back?

Bubbles Fortuna

Post by Bubbles Fortuna » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:19 am

The fact they loaned two players out this week should be enough for the PL to tell them where to go.

billtho
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by billtho » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 am

Liverpool got a game postponed with three positive tests which proved to be negative two days later....and supposedly resulted in their shutting down the training ground.I am afraid false positives is the way the cheats are doing it.

Long Shot
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Long Shot » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:11 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:56 pm
Because unlike these bunch of snivelling cowards we don't hide or look for excuses not to fight

Massive

ChzMff
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by ChzMff » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:45 am

While what Arsenal are doing is completely underhand (surprise!), it's the league which should be blamed by setting such a ridiculous precedent with earlier postponements. I would not be surprised to see the date for the last game of the season extended to allow teams to fulfil their fixtures which would be utterly disgraceful.

Gaz
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Gaz » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:55 am

I see that clubs employ 3rd parties to run the testing regimes, and Liverpool changed supplier just before the ‘false positive’ episode. Don’t know if they have switched back.

If these people are employed directly by the club then there is no independent oversight of the process.

I am not suggesting this has or will happen, but you could envisage a scenario where a known positive case takes 3 or 4 LFT tests, that other squad members register. All 4 go along for their PCR and only one case is confirmed. Hey presto, short notice match postponement - then a day later, oh no, it’s ok, they were false positive.

Now I doubt this has happened anywhere, but we have no idea whether the system is ‘gameable’. Arsenal citing only 1 case suggests that it isn’t in their scenario.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Post by S-H » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:01 am

I reckon Sky might have a say on whether the North
London Derby goes ahead or not, they are advertising it pretty heavily, as the highlight of their Super Sunday blockbuster..