January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by NedN »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:23 am It is only a couple of months into next season. I can't imagine anyone is getting into the world cup squad on the strength of their form at the start of a season.
The thing is, I cannot imagine him getting in even if he comes here and goes on a tear again. It wasn’t enough to get him into the euros, and not withstanding Rashford and Sancho’s form or lack thereof, I think they still (rightly or wrongly get picked before a Lingard who isn’t at Man U, and honestly maybe Bowen would be picked before him as well…

At this point he may be entirely focused on the money, unless he just wants to be playing again.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

D C wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:06 am They’re going to lose former £90m asset Pogba on a free
A substandard French imitation Rice.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:15 am I’d still prefer to stick with a returning Zouma, Dawson and Diop at CH, a returning Cresswell, Coufal and Johnson at FB, Lanzini reborn at 10, Fornals and Benni competing and Antonio and Bowen up front.

We need nobody and, if anything, someone else disrupts the harmony. These players have got us to 4th and, with others, have made us hopeful of a cup run. They deserve to see it out and make or break.

Moyes’ reluctance to sign anyone is a great plus.
What about if Antonio picks up an injury and is ruled out for 6 weeks, which covers our knockout rounds in the Europa?

What if Zouma's injury recurs leaving us with just Diop and Dawson for PL, Europa and FA Cup?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:06 am What about if Antonio picks up an injury and is ruled out for 6 weeks, which covers our knockout rounds in the Europa?

What if Zouma's injury recurs leaving us with just Diop and Dawson for PL, Europa and FA Cup?
What if we sign a new striker for £40m and he shatters his knee cap on his debut?

I think we should be seeking out Ogbonna's replacement now, but if the right player isn't available until Summer then we shouldn't waste money bringing suggestive subpar in and then bring stuck with them.

Same goes for a forward.

We haven't got the money to make big transfer mistakes, we need to get them right.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 pm Newcastle activated a release clause in Wood's contract.
Suggestions in the media to contrary. Apparently release clause could not be activated until the Summer.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/talkspor ... -news/amp/
3hammers
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by 3hammers »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:15 am What if we sign a new striker for £40m and he shatters his knee cap on his debut?

I think we should be seeking out Ogbonna's replacement now, but if the right player isn't available until Summer then we shouldn't waste money bringing suggestive subpar in and then bring stuck with them.

Same goes for a forward.

We haven't got the money to make big transfer mistakes, we need to get them right.
That's not much of an argument is it? I guess we should never buy anyone ever again because they might get injured? If you sign a player and they get a freak injury it's not a mistake it's bad luck. And if it did happen we'd still have Antonio. The point is right now we literally have 1 striker
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Finally able to log in. I am not surprised at all about the links to Buchanan. I’ve been saying he’s a classic Moyes signing since the summer. He’s out of contract in June, and Derby are proper skint. I’m not sure if the new transfer embargo helps or hurts our chances of signing him, Buchanan is a very promising left back, capped at every level for England except the senior team, but he’s by no means the finished article. For comparison, Lloyd Kelly was a fair bit better at the same age playing as a part time left back for Bristol City. Now Kelly is easily a £20M+ player. Derby want £5M for Buchanan which seems a tad optimistic for a championship player out of contract at the end of the season, who hasn’t played for 6 weeks because of a bruised knee. Forrest Had a £2m bid rejected; if Derby can sell Buchanan with the embargo, £3.5M should get him. I’d be all in favour of him, because as soon as he adjusts to the premier league he will be a much better option defensively than Arthur.
I agree with that Kretinsky has a huge dilemma with Hlozek. If he sells him now and Sparta don’t win the league he will be crucified. It will be much easier in the summer or with a sign and loan back deal.
I don’t think we will sign Lingard, or even want to unless it’s on our (financial) terms. I think we’re much more likely to go after Fabio Carvalho and or Keane Lewis-Potter. I know Carvalho is a bit lightweight to the point where he sometimes looks like a boy playing with men ( which he pretty much has been), but he sees things other players don’t, and has a very high football IQ. Lewis -Potter is on the verge of becoming a star.
I also would not be surprised to see us either try to sign Boubacar Kamara on a pre contract for the summer or for a lowball bid now.
I may be wrong, but I think we will sign at least two players before the window closes and they won’t be Tarkowski, Nat Phillips, Gabigol, Lingard or any of the players we’ve been heavily linked to.
Last edited by Peaches on Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

sendô wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:46 pmThey'd back themselves to come above us regardless of how impactful they think he might be for us, such is their arrogance. Even allowing for that though, I don't think any club can really ignore that sort of money.
I can’t think of a player with a bigger motivation than Lingard should he decide to come to us. He has been dicked about by Man Utd for the past year or more. Told he was in OGS plans then not played and now getting crumbs of playing time from Ragnick.

I think Lingard could be the difference between 4th and
6th for us. The reason I think we might get him is because they are a very very poorly run football club, a ruderless ship and would not even consider the impact he could have for us. However, Man Utds Mis-management is also the reason why he could very well stay. I mean, they are about to let an 80mil asset in Paul Pogba run down his contract.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

We currently have the 2nd highest lethal partnership in the whole league! :shock:

1st place is Salah and Jota, who have 36 goals and assists combined.

If we want European football again next season and especially the Champions League kind we need a good enough defence. We have a Champions League level attack. And a lower half of the table defence.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We need another CB to cover Dawson, zouma and diop.
We need another striker to cover and play with Antonio

I would skso want cover fir Cresswell so we don't have to see masuaka at LB ever again

3 players in, 2 min .
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’d be more than happy with a few top potential players from the fizzy league.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:48 pm Couple of click bait sites (won’t quote them for obvious reasons) running with Kortney Hause links again. It’s nice that he’s a local lad and would be a bit of a story if he returned, but the Villa fans on Villatalk are probably the least complimentary I’ve ever seen of a player we’re linked with….
Resurfaced again this morning - I'm guessing his agent keeps contacting Football Insider, unless they just make it all up Image

TBF, if Villa are seriously after a reserve 'keeper in terms of Randolph and we're searching for short term, lowish cost left sided CB for a bit of cover for the coming months, there's maybe something to be done, though they lost Tuanzebe .
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

So we’re literally after players to cover positions ? Not sure that’s the case at CB ? Whatever way you cut it, Ogbonna when fit is still playing the final part of his top level professional career and therefore need to anticipate any drop off in performance due to his age and even more so following a major injury. Dawson is also the wrong side of 30. So I see our CB signing as needing to be for long term 1st choice partner for Zouma so ideally left side of CB and under 30 please.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Love the way Moyes plays the media. He gives very little away in terms of players available, injured or out with Covid. Likes to keep things in-house which is refreshing.

In terms of signings I don't see much happening this window. I can see us being an attractive proposition in the summer for a number of players that are out of contract. We need to ensure we make the most of that opportunity.

The transformation is slowly taking shape. The likes of Haller, Anderson, Zabaletta, Wilshere, Carroll etc all out and off the wage bill. In my opinion the list of players that we need to get rid of is small and that will take care of itself in the summer. Yarmelenko, Noble and Fredericks will be gone. That's got to be at least £200k a week of the wage bill.

The players that now come in have to be a mixture of ready to start immediately and longer term projects. For the first time in a long time we are getting close to having a very good squad. Not a one season wonder and the wheels come off.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If what Pezza says is the case that the centre half we bring in will likely be a loan then realistically I can only see it being Nat Phillips, or someone from abroad in maybe a similar sort of loan deal to what we gave Soucek and currently Areola. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s that Diallo at PSG and we’re just waiting towards the end of the window as that’s when the ACON pretty much ends. The only other league other than the French League I can see us looking at is the Italian League. There’s a few out of favour or soon to be out of contract defenders in Seria A and Moyes has shopped there before in January. I.e. Mario at Inter.

Any striker we target this month will be the same story too. A try before you buy.
Last edited by funky chicken on Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Rays Rock wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:27 am So we’re literally after players to cover positions ? Not sure that’s the case at CB ? Whatever way you cut it, Ogbonna when fit is still playing the final part of his top level professional career and therefore need to anticipate any drop off in performance due to his age and even more so following a major injury. Dawson is also the wrong side of 30. So I see our CB signing as needing to be for long term 1st choice partner for Zouma so ideally left side of CB and under 30 please.
The distinction needs to be drawn between what we need to get through the remainder of the season (20 games +) and what we need long term.

A suitably high quality, long term replacement for Ogbonna is clearly required soon, but if we can't secure one in the next sixteen days, do we bring in another Dawson type - someone with a bit of experience, hopefully a good attitude and the capacity to hold the fort in the short term, with the potential to last a little bit longer if their form merits it?

I think we have a big risk in CM tbh, if we are staying four at the back. Take Soucek or Rice out and we can wing it against the bottom six but we'd be far less capable against those further up. If Kral isn't up to it, they should move him out and get someone else in.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:36 am The distinction needs to be drawn between what we need to get through the remainder of the season (20 games +) and what we need long term.

A suitably high quality, long term replacement for Ogbonna is clearly required soon, but if we can't secure one in the next sixteen days, do we bring in another Dawson type - someone with a bit of experience, hopefully a good attitude and the capacity to hold the fort in the short term, with the potential to last a little bit longer if their form merits it?

I think we have a big risk in CM tbh, if we are staying four at the back. Take Soucek or Rice out and we can wing it against the bottom six but we'd be far less capable against those further up. If Kral isn't up to it, they should move him out and get someone else in.
Well you’re right, signing a short term replacement is better than no signing at all. But I bet Moyes reads it differently to both of us. In fact he has rarely struggled to fill adequate defensive replacements in the past, it’s upfront he struggles to identify replacements. Right now for Moyes’ standards we are too lightweight in defence and I’d bet that a long term defensive target has been identified.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:06 am What about if Antonio picks up an injury and is ruled out for 6 weeks, which covers our knockout rounds in the Europa?

I think that's where a focus on youth or up&coming youngsters pays off. Players that don't expect to be regular starters, but hope to get a chance to be, and have potential to challenge the starting xi.
Sort of as we saw with Johnson. And as with Vlasic, who's had to be patient for his opportunity.

We are buying all these dev squad players for a purpose, and they're getting on the bench where they may well be called upon.
Some of them have been given a run out, but the question is, 'is the step up to Premier League, too big for them?"

If the answer is "Yes", then we might need to find a player a bit better or a bit more experienced that will take that role.

Diop is fine for a fourth choice, but if it's anticipated he's going to be a starter for half a season, then maybe we should consider bringing someone in for that position - unless the coaching staff have faith he'll rise to the occasion at the gritty end of the season. Likewise Dawson for that matter - great option on the bench, but I think there's definitely room for improvement for a regular starter.

As for Antonio, I think we'll move Vlasic or Bowen more centrally, and use Lanzini, Arthur, Frederick's, Fornals, Yarmolenko, and Benrahma in support.
Oko-flex, Odubeko and Chesters to fill bench.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:20 am Ashby at right back, and I really think Johnson would make an excellent centre back, though maybe his height would be a problem...
Johnson will end up at Centre Back, he has a great leap and is clearly taller than recorded in his bio
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

If we loan a CB this window, they have to improve on Dawson. Diop has shown quality. Dawson was only really signed as a stopgap in the first place and plays like one too often.

It shouldn't be hard to do that - the issue is whether any of the many CBs out there which meet that brief are available.

Ideally, left sided.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.