January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Diogenes »

Ogbonna is 34 in May. After such a serious injury, will we ever see him back and at his best?
Dawson is ok, but back up only and I believe he is nearing 32/33.
Diop is not (IMHO) good enough.
That leaves just Zouma.
We desperately need a new first choice centre half and I think we will get one before end of window. If not bought then loan. Teams pushing for titles/promotion or fighting relegation won't sell. Who does that leave?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

400k a week fir him.,makes salah a bargain !
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:32 pm I wonder where Aaron Ramsey will end up? Surprised he's not been hoovered up by Newcastle all ready. He's just won the annual award in Italy for 'biggest flop', even though he was signed several years ago.
He’s got a ‘razzle dazzle’ Everton, Newcastle or Villa signing written all over him. You could’ve added us to that list too if we didn’t finally hire a manager who’s head is screwed on.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:34 pm Ogbonna is 34 in May. After such a serious injury, will we ever see him back and at his best?
That leaves just Zouma.
We desperately need a new first choice centre half and I think we will get one before end of window. If not bought then loan. Teams pushing for titles/promotion or fighting relegation won't sell. Who does that leave?
I think the big work at CB will have to wait until the summer. Trying to sell Diop, deciding whether to offer Ogbonna a contract etc

If we sign a CB this window i’d bet on Diallo from PSG on a loan with buy option. It makes a lot of sense especially considering he can play LB if needed
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

D C wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:31 pm You’re right, Moyes clearly doesn’t rate him, he is 4th choice when everyone is fit and we should try to sell him. He’s still way better than Hause though but maybe Moyes just prefers Hause’s attributes. I think it might just be a easy link for the papers though as we need a CB and he was with us before
To be honest, I've not seen enough of Hause (have any of us?)to have a strong opinion. From what I have seen he appears a strong, positive, old fashioned centre back with a sweet left foot. He is good in the air.

Would Moyes prefer a Diop or James Collins of the same age?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:32 pm I wonder where Aaron Ramsey will end up? Surprised he's not been hoovered up by Newcastle all ready. He's just won the annual award in Italy for 'biggest flop', even though he was signed several years ago.
I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up at Villa the way theyre throwing cash around at the moment.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

It’s worth taking a look at one or two Villa forums. Honestly, it’s almost as if they have copy and pasted ours about Diop and changed the subject name to Hause.

That said, plenty of players (apart from Diop and Arthur) have improved under Moyes. Perhaps he could work his magic with him.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Traore and Hause? Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

We all want a better centre back than Hause, but it seems none are available this window. Hause is not a world beater, but he’s not awful either. I would equate him to a left sided Dawson. I would say there is not much between Dawson, Diop and Hause. The difference is Hause is naturally left sided, and has played in a team that is defensively very poor. I don’t think he’s the long term answer to LCB ( although I won’t discount Moyes ability to get the best out of players), and he’s nowhere near as good as Lloyd Kelly, but I don’t think he’s any worse than Nat Phillips. AsGsbgsb says, Ogbonna is 34, Dawson is 31 and playing with an injury, and Diop hasn’t lived up to expectations and may be made available in the summer, That being said, I think he would be a good 2nd choice LCB, and would look much better with Rice and Soucek in front of him and Zouma and Cresswell alongside him. More importantly he would allow Zouma to play on the right side where he looks far more comfortable. He would not be very expensive, especially on wages, and he and his family are all West Ham so he would 100% play for the shirt. He is homegrown which helps with our quotas. He wouldn’t be an exciting signing, but most fans hated the Dawson signing.
On a different note, Boubacar Kamara is available this window for €4 to €5M. He wants big wages, but that is an absolute no brainer. The option on Kral is 3x that price, but Kamara is at least 3x the player. Soucek, Rice and Kamara would be as good as any central midfield in the league if not Europe.
It’s possible that we could sign Kamara, Hause and Lee Buchanan for £15M. That would address 3 of our 4 biggest needs, and hopefully leave real money over to sign a striker.
Last edited by Peaches on Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Sarr looking good for Chelsea, albeit it in a three.

Appears he’s become part of their first team thinking though so possibly no longer available in Jan.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

While I can understand waiting til the Summer to get who you want, we sit 4th and in 2 cup competitions and our January signing is basically replacing Ogbonna for this season. Zouma being back helps, but we'd basically be going into the 2nd half of the season weaker. Of course, we can't replace Ogbonna quality with a loan/cheap signing in January, but surely Hause isn't the standard we are aiming for?
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Peaches wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:04 pm On a different note, Boubacar Kamara is available this window for €4 to €5M. He wants big wages, but that is an absolute no brainer. The option on Kral is 3x that price, but Kamara is at least 3x the player. Soucek, Rice and Kamara would be as good as any central midfield in the league if not Europe.

It’s possible that we could sign Kamara, Hause and Lee Buchanan for £15M. That would address 3 of our 4 biggest needs, and hopefully leave real money over to sign a striker.
Are there ways round that so it doesn't blow our wage structure? Signing on fee etc?
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:34 pm Ogbonna is 34 in May. After such a serious injury, will we ever see him back and at his best?
That leaves just Zouma.
Sell Diop in Summer. Bring in Tarkowski for free. Use the money from Diop sale to go large on Ogbonna long term replacement
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:23 pm I have identified the 2 forwards that I think will be perfect for us. Neither of them will be available this window though.

Armando Broja (I may have mentioned this a few times before :P )
Ismaila Sarr (will surely be available in the summer, especially if Watford are relegated)
I prefer Broja. He has looked quite a handful and caused Diop and Dawson a lot of problems.

If we could get him on loan if Chelsea don't want to sell we should seriously consider that move.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

D C wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 pm I think the big work at CB will have to wait until the summer. Trying to sell Diop, deciding whether to offer Ogbonna a contract etc

If we sign a CB this window i’d bet on Diallo from PSG on a loan with buy option. It makes a lot of sense especially considering he can play LB if needed
PSG have said that they don't want to loan Diallo (if whats reported is true).

But maybe they will take it near the end of the window.
Another possible reason why it will go to the wire.

I don't rate Hause, nor do villa it seems.
But he would be a better option at LCB than Diop.
If we could get a better LCB I'd prefer Diop at RCB than Hause at LCB.

I still think Thomas Vermalaen is a great option. Tiago Silva is showing age is just a number if you can read the game.
6 month contract and used when needed. Left foot and so much experience.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Peaches wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:04 pm ………
On a different note, Boubacar Kamara is available this window for €4 to €5M. He wants big wages, but that is an absolute no brainer. The option on Kral is 3x that price, but Kamara is at least 3x the player. Soucek, Rice and Kamara would be as good as any central midfield in the league if not Europe.
Thing is we do not have the cachet of a Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool where a top rated player might be prepared to sit on the bench.

Would Kamara come to sit on the bench for many games? Would we want to pay top wages to a player doing that? Would say Soucek (at his age) be happy with a bit part role if he is the player primarily to miss out?

It is the “Catch 22” we face, we do not have the budget to stretch to the sought of wage bill needed for a Sky 6 squad (even if we could attract those players) yet if we want to challenge them on a regular basis that is the sort of squad we need.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Watched the Luton v Bournemouth game today.

Kelly looked very good on the ball, but awful defensively (worse than Diop). Might have caught him on a bad day?
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

We mainly want a left footed centre back because of what they’ll bring on the ball. Reading the Villa forums they think that’s the weakest part of Hause’s game (they’re also not very complementary of his actual defending). Would be an odd one imo.

If PSG don’t want to loan us Diallo then exercise the option to buy Areola now as an act of faith (and give them some money) - perhaps that will change their minds.

Re: Kamara….am I the only one thinking that he’s being looked at principally as potential Declan replacement?
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

We are likely to play 60 matches this season. Assuming the same next year, even if we only play 2 out of Rice Soucek and Kamara that is an average of 40 matches each. Assuming Rice plays 50 of the 60, that is 70 split between Soucek and Kamara, and I am sure there will be at least half a dozen matches where we played all 3, Rice and Soucek have played an obscene amount of football in the past two years, and with the Euros last year and World Cup this year they will average 60+ matches for club and country for the past two years. I think we can comfortably offer enough football to all of them.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

I agree about Kelly I thought he wasn't that good if Diop played like that he would have got slaughtered