January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Peaches »

I’d call it a bad day for Kelly, normally he’s a lot better than that. That being said if we were being really aggressive we’d bud £30M for Max Kilman at Wolves.
Chadwell Chief
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Chadwell Chief »

Peaches wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:57 pm if we were being really aggressive we’d bud £30M for Max Kilman at Wolves.
Excellent player
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

IronZ-79 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:35 pm I prefer Broja. He has looked quite a handful and caused Diop and Dawson a lot of problems.

If we could get him on loan if Chelsea don't want to sell we should seriously consider that move.
Southampton reportedly want to buy him outright, suggesting Chelsea might be open to sale - if the money is right. I think he has all the attributes we need in a striker. Big, strong, decent pace, and will only improve with the right guidance.

But I also think Sarr at Watford would be great. He's another goalscoring winger who could play more central or float across the front line.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:23 pm Southampton reportedly want to buy him outright, suggesting Chelsea might be open to sale - if the money is right. I think he has all the attributes we need in a striker. Big, strong, decent pace, and will only improve with the right guidance.

But I also think Sarr at Watford would be great. He's another goalscoring winger who could play more central or float across the front line.
Broja looks a little more powerful and a Striker by trade. If the Saints want him on a perm we should show some interest. Being a London club we might be a more attractive proposition.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:23 pm Southampton reportedly want to buy him outright, suggesting Chelsea might be open to sale - if the money is right. I think he has all the attributes we need in a striker. Big, strong, decent pace, and will only improve with the right guidance.

I'd be annoyed if Southampton get him. He ticks all the boxes!
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Broja will be going nowhere in January though.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I wasn’t sure about Broja to begin with but he’s looking like a really good player. Big, strong, quick, works hard and a decent finisher - seems like a Moyes type player and would suit our style of play.
Bubbles Fortuna

Diogenes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:47 pm Broja will be going nowhere in January though.
Well yes, but if the option is random punt like Bayo, or someone like Origi now, or Broja in the summer, Broja is a no brainer.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:45 pm I'd be annoyed if Southampton get him. He ticks all the boxes!
If Chelsea are willing to sell him, I doubt Southampton would win the race for him. Unless they bid the most (they won't) or nobody else goes in for him (which I'd be surprised about).

But yes, he won't be available this month.
Bubbles Fortuna

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:58 pm If Chelsea are willing to sell him, I doubt Southampton would win the race for him. Unless they bid the most (they won't) or nobody else goes in for him (which I'd be surprised about).

But yes, he won't be available this month.
The only thing they have is he might be settled and happy there. Kind of like Lukaku and Everton.

What we should do is try to do what Everton did to West Brom with Lukaku and steal him the next season.

Loan to buy next season, saves us £30-£40 million in the summer as we kick that can down the road, spend the money on the defence.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Peaches wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:52 pm We are likely to play 60 matches this season. Assuming the same next year, even if we only play 2 out of Rice Soucek and Kamara that is an average of 40 matches each. Assuming Rice plays 50 of the 60, that is 70 split between Soucek and Kamara, and I am sure there will be at least half a dozen matches where we played all 3, Rice and Soucek have played an obscene amount of football in the past two years, and with the Euros last year and World Cup this year they will average 60+ matches for club and country for the past two years. I think we can comfortably offer enough football to all of them.
But it does not work that way for a team like ours.

38 league games and absent injury or serious loss of form you play your strongest pair. Going to tell Kamara he is going to be starting on the bench for league games, likely response will be he is too good to be a substitute at West Ham. So he starts who do you drop from Rice/Soucek to accommodate him?

So we pay the wages, how do the starting players react when a substitute earns more than them.

That is where playing for the recent League winners or European champions holds a sway for foreign players that we simply do not. They also have the wages budget to pack their benches in a way we cannot. If we are going to pay the very top wages to a reserve, CM, where we have a very settled starting pair, is unlikely to be the place to spend them.

I am not suggesting we will not require CM cover or that he would not improve the team, squad etc but that we can only afford a limited number of the “big wage” signings and there are more pressing needs than 3rd CM.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Traore only goes and scores.

After missing one of course.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:55 pm Traore only goes and scores.

After missing one of course.
He missed an open goal :rofl:
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Idah. I tell ya :wink:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

We will need to become a bit better in depth to keep going.

We have quite a few players on decent wedge for the attacking roles, so it depends what "big wages" entails. Could be smart to look at midfielders now who could be there for Rice leaving. And we can play 4-3-3. So Kamara isn't incomprehensible, although I think he'll go somewhere more glamorous.

Good finish from Traore, to be fair. Did good work from a central area.

I wonder if Luke Shaw will be moved on in the summer. There's going to be a few good players leave there. Lingard must be one, he's on the bench today even though Ronaldo and Rashford are out, Elanga playing ahead of him. Feels a message - he's wasting so much time in his career there.

Sarr looked good today too. Can see the appeal, definitely.

Brennan absolutely key for Forest's goal today, carrying the ball a long distance in stoppage time and playing the right pass at the end. He really reminds me of Lingard when he does that and, if we're waiting, I'd rather go for him in the summer than Jesse. Lingard needs to be now otherwise it's pointless.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Absolutely nothing wrong with investing heavily in a 3rd central midfielder who would expect significant game time, having to play Rice and Soucek as often as we do is not ideal if we want the team to make that next step up.

Randomly chose Tottenham's 11/12 season where they came 4th (I think for the first time). Parker and Modric were clearly their first choice but those two, Livermore and Sandro all made at least 20 starts and over 25 appearances in central midfield. Much like the argument about how many players we need for attacking positions, there are going to be more than enough minutes to go around if Moyes takes us where we want to go.

There's also the point that came up earlier in the week about the value in replacing Rice before he leaves....
Last edited by Danny's Dyer Acting on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If I was Newman and Robson I’d be straight on the phone to the agents of the highly rated youngsters at all the other big club’s academies. Those clubs have shown what they think of those players by preferring to have their matches postponed then giving some of them a chance at least on the bench.

Meanwhile instead of making excuses we play our matches and our manager sticks the best performing u23 players on the bench. We had 4 on the bench against Norwich.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:10 pm Idah. I tell ya :wink:
He’s clearly got something about him and he caught my eye when he broke into their side during their last relegation season in 2019/20.

That goal today was only his FIRST in the top flight though so unless he’s gonna really kick on I can’t see him being the quality we need.

We can get a half decent striker from France for a £15m punt that’d be better than Idah. Plus Norwich are notorious for always getting top money for their players so wouldn’t be a bargain.
Last edited by Roby on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1438 likes

Post by D C »

Aceface wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:10 pm Sarr looking good for Chelsea, albeit it in a three.

Appears he’s become part of their first team thinking though so possibly no longer available in Jan.
Seemed like a good shout but they’re losing Rudiger and Christiansen on frees this summer so they probably won’t let anyone else leave
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Anthony Edlanta starting for Man Utd over Lingard tonight.

Knock it on the head, Jllingz. They’re mugging you off. Come back.