West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by Aceface »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:14 pm Man Utd, Brentford, Leeds, Southampton, Crystal Palace and Brighton at home has got us 2 points. That’s concerning.
Bloody Nora. That’s appalling.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Diop's put in one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen.

Rice was fantastic going forward today, but with a defence that looked a mess and no Soucek, maybe he needed to just sacrifice some of that? Protect Diop, hold a steadier midfield and let the attack work. If they don't you're winning the ball back and stopping us leaking goals.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1217 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:14 pm Man Utd, Brentford, Leeds, Southampton, Crystal Palace and Brighton at home has got us 2 points. That’s concerning.
And 6 points off Liverpool and Chelsea at home. It is the West Ham way.
IronRhino
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by IronRhino »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:03 pm Pass to a player in a better scoring position
Rice is a great player, our mom by some distance, but I felt he was trying a bit too hard at times today and made a couple of bad decisions when on the ball. To be the complete player he needs more end product when going forward.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

And that’s the maximum we probably deserved. Wish I could say we battered some of em. The home form is a problem, still think the stadium is a problem but can’t do much about that. He needs to make us more solid.
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by brothernero »

71 Goals In our 22 League games this season.

All I mainly want from Wsst Ham is effort, desire and entertainment.

With this team I think we get all three in abundance. :scarfer:
Last edited by brothernero on Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

smuts wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:13 pm That 3rd goal. From the moment Diop got the ball he was almost falling over, nearly ran it straight to a Leeds player then plays a slack pass to Vlasic who makes a pigs ear out of it completely.

Over 50m for the pair of them... :eh:
Whenever Diop carried the ball forward he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Terrible control and no vision to pick a proper pass. He was a liability all afternoon. Moyes got his point over by subbing him, but by then the damage was done.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Antonio looks fuc*ed to me, the defence wernt there today we missed soucek, we badly need reinforcements to give some players a rest, we've played 32 games so far and most is on adrenalin, bad day at the office now for the mancs :lol:
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

We conceded three very preventable goals.

1st - we invited pressure onto us and had 3/4 chances to clear the ball which we missed. It falls to a Leeds player who spots a massive gap in the middle of the 18 yard box for him to shoot. I wonder if Fab could have done better too with it

2nd - **** throw in by Coufal (honestly, two/three times he threw it almost into the ground) to Antonio who loses possession and they break to win a corner. Cresswell daydreaming and not watching who was coming in at the back post, which is literally his job at a set piece.

3rd. Poor pass out by Diop, poor control by Vlasic, Coufal too far up the pitch leaving acres of space to attack.

It highlights how we need to spend and get in another Central defender and another striker. I know our entire back line was woeful today however Diop played us into trouble repeatedly (including a hoof into touch for no reason leading to a Leeds goal of I remember right) with huge gaps being lead by both him and Dawson. A new CB is definitely needed

Not only that, but when we were chasing the game, who were our attacking options? A converted LB/winger who confuses himself with the ball as much as the the opposition, a 32 year old whose touch seems to have evaded him at club level and an unproven 17 year old. The sad thing is that they were literally the best we could do. Had Kral been starting then Lanzini/Fornals/Vlasic would have been available however Krul does not seem to be rated enough by Moyes
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We needed another CM to partner rice and replace soucek. I thought kral was that player but obviously not
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:17 pm Diop's put in one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen.

Rice was fantastic going forward today, but with a defence that looked a mess and no Soucek, maybe he needed to just sacrifice some of that? Protect Diop, hold a steadier midfield and let the attack work. If they don't you're winning the ball back and stopping us leaking goals.
A lot of truth in this post, imo.
Tbe problem is the manager has lost control of Rice. Hard position for Moyes but there seems to be a case of Rice managing Moyes.
Pete647580

Post by Pete647580 »

IronRhino wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm Rice is a great player, our mom by some distance, but I felt he was trying a bit too hard at times today and made a couple of bad decisions when on the ball. To be the complete player he needs more end product when going forward.
This is the problem when we're not firing on all cylinders - he takes it on himself to do it all (and why wouldn't he?) When we're playing well he can just play his role in the team.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:17 pm Diop's put in one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen.

To be fair wilko, that might have been the plan had we not gone behind so early, that changed the dynamic, Rice was doing what any good captain would have, and that was drag the team forward in search of an equaliser, had we gone ahead at any point, Rice may have sat deeper, as it was, we were always chasing the game.

Which in itself is quite a rarity these days, for us.
Last edited by S-H on Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Diop passed it to Vlasic when he was in about 10 yards of space. It was Vlasic who is slow and clumsy who made the mistake. Diop was awful in nearly everything he did today, but the goal was on Vlasic and Fabianski, who was slow off his line. He should be coming out and diving on that.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

We were leggy and can't defend. It's almost like late-Pellegrini all over again.

And Diop. Hate to single out the poor lad but what the f*** happened to him? He looked confused, scared, hapless and consistently half a second behind everything. Can't pass, can't tackle, can't jump and mind turns to mush every time the opposition put him under pressure. The most awful of an awful lot today. I pity him.

All credits to Leeds. They wanted it more and deserved it. Could have been a cricket score, frankly.
Pete647580

Post by Pete647580 »

neathiron wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:20 pm Whenever Diop carried the ball forward he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Terrible control and no vision to pick a proper pass. He was a liability all afternoon. Moyes got his point over by subbing him, but by then the damage was done.
And he's absolutely ****ing clueless inside the area. I was going to say that he's a ball winner outside the area but he got absolutely rinsed for their third goal.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

The game very quickly went from 2-2 and looking like we might take all three points to 3-2 down with Masuaku and Yarmolenko as half of our attack.

Didn’t think there was ever a need to change anything going forward.
D C
Has liked: 1125 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by D C »

Leeds completely outplayed us and remembered that they’re a decent team one of the few times this season.

The whole back 5 we’re poor. Even with Zouma back we’re going to be relying on a couple of losers at the back.

Midfield was all wrong, as others have said Lanzini can only play deep if we’re dominating the ball which is rare for us especially against a team like Leeds so that ones on Moyes imo.

Bowen and Fornals did their jobs, I won’t slate Vlasic because we never had a foot in the game. Antonio though is back to his worst, we needed him at his best badly this game and he’s just so off it.

All in all though the team was just off the pace from the first minute and it makes you wonder if it’s psychological. They choke every time we get a good opportunity to establish ourselves as real top 4 contenders.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

It is and to be honest we have pretty poor at 'home' this season. Cant remember when we completely dominated a game at home except the Leicester one but they did have 10 men for the majority of the game.

The bowel does not help as it's not suited for football & atmosphere. Hopefully we can get some needed reinforcements this transfer window.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

That was a fantastic game of football, really enjoyed it.

Not our day today, but I’ll get over it very quickly.

Fair play to Leeds too :newthumb: