West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Watford Hammer
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by Watford Hammer »

Ah, there’s the old West Ham I used to know.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Bin the league off, go all out for the fa cup and europe.

I am 38 and have only seen us win promotion. Could not give a f*** about finishing top 4. I want to win a cup.
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

What **** defending once more Diop is as weak as piss
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:26 pm Bin the league off, go all out for the fa cup and europe.

I am 38 and have only seen us win promotion. Could not give a **** about finishing top 4. I want to win a cup.
Got 5 years on you and I agree. (‘80 doesn’t count I was 2)
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Watford Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:26 pm Ah, there’s the old West Ham I used to know.
They weren't that bad, could have had an unlikely equaliser. We used to be really really bad at times.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

S-H wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm To be fair wilko, that might have been the plan had we not gone behind so early, that changed the dynamic, Rice was doing what any good captain would have, and that was drag the team forward in search of an equaliser, had we gone ahead at any point, Rice may have sat deeper, as it was, we were always chasing the game.

Which in itself is quite a rarity these days, for us.
Agreed. Rice was definitely sat deeper for the first 20 minutes. Then looks like he was asked to take the game by the scruff of the neck given none of our forward passes were sticking.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Great entertainment. Shame about the result
Very similar to the Southampton game on Boxing Day where we dug deep to equalise and then had collective meltdowns

The whole back four were awful defensively and Vlasic was really poor. Bowen wasn't his usual self and Fabianski looked a bit shaky

Thought Rice and Fornals were very good but we probably should have played Kral instead of Lanzini

I think q draw would have been a fair result as we had enough chances
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Sorry but as much as players had poor performances, i’m putting this one down to the manager.

I said before this we at least need soucek back if not zouma as well. If you don’t have either, you can’t think that because you can beat a toothless norwich when playing vlasic, lanzini and fornals, that you can do the same v leeds.

Lanzini is not a defensive midfielder. Kral is but moyes refuses to play him. He was exactly what we needed today from the start. And at this rate declan is going to be knackered because he’s doing more than two players work.

Leeds walked though our midfield and the defence was poor because we were missing a defensive midfielder in front of them.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Both times we equalised our defence gifted them the lead once more in less than 10 minutes.

If we had the defence of any other side in the top ten we win today.
Paulo_Alex
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Paulo_Alex »

Diop, Masuaku, Coufal, Antonio - really, really poor.

How much of our time did Cresswell waste today taking throw-ins ffs?! Remote nearly went through TV!
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

We played most of that game with our backs to the Leeds goal, and when the ball came to feet or head, a Leeds player was right there pressing us. IMHO we were 2nd best all afternoon, but you have to take into account the number of games we have played. I thought Bowen for one looked shot and Cresswell was far from match fit. We need Zouma back as soon as possible, and any of our Under-23 back four would be better than Diop. We were due a bit of a thrashing, but let's hope this one draws the necessary attention to our squad depth issues.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm Diop passed it to Vlasic when he was in about 10 yards of space. It was Vlasic who is slow and clumsy who made the mistake. Diop was awful in nearly everything he did today, but the goal was on Vlasic and Fabianski, who was slow off his line. He should be coming out and diving on that.
Absolutely.
Moyes hauled Vlasic straight off afterwards and Fabianksi was unusually hesitant off his line
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Watford Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:26 pm Ah, there’s the old West Ham I used to know.
Yes. Quite nostalgic, isn't it!
spod
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by spod »

Just dropped in to say, our two glaring weaknesses were (in my opinion) Diop playing like a man who has just been possessed by an alien with very limited football skills, and Antonio looking knackered after 35 minutes.
Now, if 95% of posters on this forum could predict this, why the F asterisk asterisk asterisk have we not signed anyone to address these deficiencies?

Caveat: I have been drinking.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:26 pm Bin the league off, go all out for the fa cup and europe.

I am 38 and have only seen us win promotion. Could not give a **** about finishing top 4. I want to win a cup.
Spot on.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 pm I think q draw would have been a fair result as we had enough chances
Never in a million - they were better than us almost from start to finish.

Energetic, pacy , aggressive.

Lucky it was only one.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

kitthehammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 pm
Lanzini is not a defensive midfielder. Kral is but moyes refuses to play him. He was exactly what we needed today from the start. And at this rate declan is going to be knackered because he’s doing more than two players work.

Leeds walked though our midfield and the defence was poor because we were missing a defensive midfielder in front of them.
Kral is either a bit crap or the contract has some horrible clauses in it. Cannot believe Moyes picks Lanzini in that role otherwise. He is stubborn but he isn't stupid.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I can’t stand it when every goal is broken down and player(s) are blamed. Football is a team sport and the team wasn’t at it from front to back this afternoon.

A bad day at the office, simple as that. We’ve had many in the past and we’ll have many in the future.

We’re still fourth, still in two cups and still a good team with good players.

We move on.
OFT
Has liked: 3186 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:29 pm Both times we equalised our defence gifted them the lead once more in less than 10 minutes.

If we had the defence of any other side in the top ten we win today.
Said at the time it was way too frantic. Got the equaliser and didn't seem to try and get control of the game.
On the positive, although we lost we were clearly going for the win at that point.
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Diop & Dawson can’t play out from the back ….2 goals came from poor passes by Diop
Coufal poor today …..
Lanzini very quite ….
They closed us down quickly
We gave them too much time on the ball
Antonio very quite …..didn’t trouble their back 4 enough

Why didn’t we play Kral to allow Rice to push forward more ….why doesn’t Moyes play him when Soucek out ?