January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by DrVenk »

Of course we need a bloody striker. It's not just about scoring goals. To do the Antonio role you have to work your nuts off. Sometimes Antonio does this well, sometimes he doesn't. Today he didn't do it that well - he looked shattered late on. And not for the first time. When that happens, the ball doesn't stick and we struggle for possession. So it's not just about goals - we need fresh legs for the role to do the work-rate and hold up play too.

Managers also like to have the option of some variation as well. A striker with slightly different qualities, maybe more poacher like, would allow a different attacking plan B to be developed, something to accommodate a more possession based approach when we are struggling to break teams down. Sometime we are too predicable because Moyes has very few options to finesse a different approach.

Another striker would aid in both of the above.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

smuts wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:21 pm Yet we had to bring on Yarmolenko to huff and puff along with a young kid to try and rescue a game.
Fair play to Moyes, to his credit he tried to make do with some of the overpriced flops he inherited from Pellegrini.

Fornals was given another chance and has kicked on under his stewardship.

He tried to ease Diop back into the first team picture by starting him in the relatively easy Europa League games but it’s not worked as he’s still making horrendous errors.

He needs to be moved on, take the hit on the deal, and with Yarmolenko he’s just absolutely shot - full stop.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:12 pm He's our 4th choice. I'd sooner move Alese to 4th choice than sign someone whose only claim is being better than Diop.

We need to sign Zouma's long term partner.
Diop is 3rd choice for the rest of this season. If he has to play in EL he could end the whole campaign in one moment.

Not to mention if he does play his presence unsettles the team as he cannot be trusted.

Pay a silly £5m loan fee if we have to and get a left-sided centre back.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:09 pm We scored two again today and people are still wittering on about strikers? :shock:
Nothing surprises me anymore! Even at the game I had morons behind me saying “we need a striker”. Yeah, we’ll just ignore the fact we let another 3 goals in! :?
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Antonio always looks shattered usually after 20 minutes I think it's his build and natural lack of stamina
To be fair to him he, in addition to Rice, needs a break.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm Because we managed to concede three to a Leeds side who average a goal a game?

That's exactly my point.

We wouldn't been chasing the game if our defence wasn't so bad.
If we seriously want to kick on we need both. Chasing 4th and our only option off the bench up top is Yarmolenko.

A top left sided CB is a priority and someone to give us more options when Antonio is having one of his days second.
Roby

Post by Roby »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:25 pm That's why I say get someone like Idah. We'll unsettle him and get him. £5m cheap as chips then spend big in defence.
No chance.

They got £38m from Villa for Buendía whose hardly pulled up any trees.

£25m from Everton for Godfrey the summer before that.

Idah would be £15m - £20m easily.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I would definitely sell Diop to Newcastle for £10M, IF we can sign a first team left sided centre back. Caleta-Car, Max Kilman, or Salisu all fit the bill. I’d throw £30M at Wolves for Kilman if we can shift Diop for £8 to £10 M. I think at that price there’d be teams in Europe who’d have him, Roma for a start.
As for the rest of the team, I can’t believe no one wants Boubacar Kamara after seeing the mess our midfield was today without Soucek.
Also if Fredericks and Kral can’t get on the pitch today they have to go along with Yarmolenko and Arthur. That’s 4 complete wastes of squad places.
Antonio was useless as an outlet until he shifted to left wing which took him out of the middl so we didn’t have a centre forward. That highlights the need for a striker.
The only positive from todays match is that it absolutely highlights the work we need to do to strengthen the squad. I know we will get Ogbonna back for next season, but should we really be anchoring our hopes on a 34 year old who has had multiple knee injuries regardless of how good he has been since Moyes came back.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Peaches wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:38 pm I would definitely sell Diop to Newcastle for £10M, IF we can sign a first team left sided centre back. Caleta-Car, Max Kilman, or Salisu all fit the bill. I’d throw £30M at Wolves for Kilman if we can shift Diop for £8 to £10 M. I think at that price there’d be teams in Europe who’d have him, Roma for a start.
As for the rest of the team, I can’t believe no one wants Boubacar Kamara after seeing the mess our midfield was today without Soucek.
Also if Fredericks and Kral can’t get on the pitch today they have to go along with Yarmolenko and Arthur. That’s 4 complete wastes of squad places.
Antonio was useless as an outlet until he shifted to left wing which took him out of the middl so we didn’t have a centre forward. That highlights the need for a striker.
The only positive from todays match is that it absolutely highlights the work we need to do to strengthen the squad. I know we will get Ogbonna back for next season, but should we really be anchoring our hopes on a 34 year old who has had multiple knee injuries regardless of how good he has been since Moyes came back.
You ain’t leaving wolves to come to west ham let’s be honest. Be a pointless move considering we’re very equal sides.
The hayfield
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by The hayfield »

Were gonna have to dig deep for a centre half and a striker otherwise forget top 4 .
faubert93
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by faubert93 »

Yarmolenko clearly has a clauses in his contract that dictates he has to play or there is a penalty....why bring him on....the long sleeve shirt was enough to piss me off, let alone his laziness and cba attitude.

young, hungry, potential is what we need, not has beens or no-bodys
Last edited by faubert93 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:32 pm Diop is 3rd choice for the rest of this season. If he has to play in EL he could end the whole campaign in one moment.

Not to mention if he does play his presence unsettles the team as he cannot be trusted.

Pay a silly £5m loan fee if we have to and get a left-sided centre back.
Is there a defender better than Diop available for a loan fee? Apparently PSG aren't interested in Diallo on loan.

We shouldn't be looking for a loan, we shouldn't have to. We need to replace Ogbonna now.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

No premier league club is paying £10m for Diop. They watch games too.

Best we can hope is that a team in a slower less physical league want him.

The fact he earns £70k a week will make it very difficult.

He is gonna be here till his contract expires and we are just gonna have to hope he isn't needed.
Roby

Post by Roby »

Peaches wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:38 pm As for the rest of the team, I can’t believe no one wants Boubacar Kamara after seeing the mess our midfield was today without Soucek.
Boubacar Kamara is one of the most highly rated young midfielders in world football.

All the top clubs have been sniffing around him.

He is running down his contract which is the only reason this low valuation of £5m is being rumoured.

We could well offer £10m and Marseille May say yes but the kid himself would more than likely reject us and look at his options in the summer instead when out of contract.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm Our owners are very unlikely going to budget us for both.

We've dropped points at home against Brentford, Leeds, Southampton, totally average teams where our defence has cost. We score plenty.
To make it that simple, those teams have outscored us, so they must be doing better in attack? Teams attack and defend as a unit, feel like I have to say this a lot.

There should be money for both. Not on a "they dont spend enough" rant, but purely logistically. We have made good money from our success the last season, have a chance to make good money again - and will at least get a good bit from finishing top 8.

FWIW, I think defence is the priority. We win that game with a functioning defence. But we have problems at the other end too, not least in flogging players to death. The team were clearly tired today and we had to bring on two players we clearly dont want to be using, and couldn't replace flagging forwards.

Probably a good day for Aceface to bring up his arguments about Cresswell defensively too, but that was sacrilege last week.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:24 pm Some are much lower priority than others.

If we're scoring at the rate we are, and we are conceding at the rate we are - it's clearly the defensive side that's substandard and which needs addressing as a priority.
So we just dont sign anyone at one end cos we have this substandard defence?
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1438 likes

Post by D C »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:40 pm Is there a defender better than Diop available for a loan fee? Apparently PSG aren't interested in Diallo on loan.

We shouldn't be looking for a loan, we shouldn't have to. We need to replace Ogbonna now.
That’s a shame. He’s probably worth the £20m they reportedly want for him but if Moyes has his heart set on Lloyd or Ake he would probably rather wait as we won’t be able to afford Diallo and then one of those in the summer
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

I think many of us would be in agreement that Masuaku, Yarmalenko, Fredericks,Randolph are dispensable and if we get a reasonable offer Diop also.Hopefully we can get a majority of them gone and of the wage bill so we can recruit a striker and centre back both positions we desperately need new blood.
Let's hope it happens before the deadline.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

I think the Kid shouid have come on before Yarmo to help out Antonio :newthumb:
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1438 likes

Post by D C »

Roby wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:45 pm Boubacar Kamara is one of the most highly rated young midfielders in world football.

All the top clubs have been sniffing around him.

He is running down his contract which is the only reason this low valuation of £5m is being rumoured.

We could well offer £10m and Marseille May say yes but the kid himself would more than likely reject us and look at his options in the summer instead when out of contract.
Maybe so but that seems to be a common theme with young French defensive mids playing in Ligue 1. They’ll always linked with elite european clubs then seem to end up at the second tier European clubs. Most current links are us, Newcastle Man U who are linked with every DM going.