West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 pm Diop is bad don’t get me wrong and needs bombing out but Dawson seems to get a easy ride. Thought he was terrible, slow to turn, poor with the ball and he has to take a share of the blame being part of a defence conceding 3 at home against Leeds B side.
Yes he was very poor. His positioning is not great and he isn't a very good marker. Plus he makes quute a few basic errors
The crowed love him because he is committed and wins some powerful headers he shouldn't do, but he isn't good enough for a team pushing fir the top 6 - which is why he cost £2m
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

S-H wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 pm To be fair wilko, that might have been the plan had we not gone behind so early, that changed the dynamic, Rice was doing what any good captain would have, and that was drag the team forward in search of an equaliser, had we gone ahead at any point, Rice may have sat deeper, as it was, we were always chasing the game.

Which in itself is quite a rarity these days, for us.
Yeah, don't disagree. The attacking players weren't really functioning well enough for Rice to let them go do it themselves, but the defence was a mess. Bit of a Catch-22.

Probably all solved relatively easy if someone had grabbed Diop and thrown him out of the ground.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Tristan Shout wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:59 pm It pains me to say it but Mike Dean had a decent game today, I'd be the first digging him out if he'd had his usual game against us so only fair to say when he had a rare professional performance
There were a few cheeky winks and gestures for the cameras too. He really is maturing into a fine all-round performer.

The only mistake I felt was when he dropped his yellow card, forcing him into a less-than-graceful bending over moment. But he recovered well afterwards with a rhythmically pleasing backwards shimmy so even that didn't take away too much from his performance.

A pitchside monitor check would have been the icing on the cake, but both sides failed to produce enough penalty dives to make it possible.
IronRhino
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Still 4th, if we win at Man U all will be well with the world again.

Keep the faith
CurlyHammer
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by CurlyHammer »

Leeds pressed us from the first. We were poor, but they really impressed me how they played. Never gave us a second on the ball.

They were the better team and probably deserved it.

We missed soucek

We need an alternative striker on the bench.
Last edited by CurlyHammer on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OatcakeIron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OatcakeIron »

Diop absolutely dire
Dawson too slow
Coufal distribution sh**e
And Antonio trying to buy a foul whenever it’s knocked into him 😖
Bad day at the office, well deserved Leeds.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I do not want to see Diop wearing a West Ham shirt again.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:25 pm I do not want to see Diop wearing a West Ham shirt again.
You don't always get what you want.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Mega Ron wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:27 pm You don't always get what you want.
Pretty please?
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1068 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:59 pm Obviously, but Diop should have cleared his lines as there was plenty of time for him to handle the runner. There is no way Ogbonna or Zouma do not deal with that situation.
Diop is a twat - should have cleared him out and taken the booking. the bloke is so stupid it is painful. No aggression, lacks discipline and can't read the game for toffee.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2571 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

OatcakeIron wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:24 pm Coufal distribution sh**e
The problem we have is that Fredericks isn't exactly known as a snappy passer, and Johnsons distribution has been poor recently. It's not really something we can improve with the players we have at our disposal.

And you can't just blame Coufal. Dawson and Diop have been equally to blame in that department.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1068 likes

Post by pezza20 »

I think we have to be mindful of the amount of games our small squad has played. It's all very well calling out players for looking slow or lacking the control but when your body is tired your mind is also tired and reactions are not as good as they should be. Was certainly not the best time to play a full throttle Leeds side with 11 fresh players all of whom had something to prove.

Stats were very even across the analysis, just they finished their chances and we didn't.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

I thought we were disappointing but also that Leeds played very well. A deserved victory for them and I hope (and think) they stay up given how they play. Not load of time wasting like we’ve seen from so many others this season which I respect.

Take it on the chin, onwards and upwards. COYI
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Paulo_Alex wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:30 pm Diop, Masuaku, Coufal, Antonio - really, really poor.

How much of our time did Cresswell waste today taking throw-ins ffs?! Remote nearly went through TV!
Cresswell had a shocker today as well.

With the throw ins, it’s obvious how much we miss Soucek. He is always there to receive the ball. No one wanted to receive it today!
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Diop and Dawson were dire but let's not give Creswell an easy ride just because he has come back from injury.He gets caught out for the first goal and let's a player get in behind him for the second goal.Rice was his usual brilliant self but apart from him nobody stood out.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:25 pm I do not want to see Diop wearing a West Ham shirt again.
You may have a point, but Diop wasn't responsible for our defeat today was he?
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

billtho wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 pm Diop and Dawson were dire but let's not give Creswell an easy ride just because he has come back from injury.He gets caught out for the first goal and let's a player get in behind him for the second goal.Rice was his usual brilliant self but apart from him nobody stood out.
He wasn't poor and did try to drag us forward, but I certainly didn't think Rice was anywhere near brilliant today 🤷‍♂️
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

To me it was exactly the same as the Southampton game,same mistakes made in both games .
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Tristan Shout wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:59 pm It pains me to say it but Mike Dean had a decent game today, I'd be the first digging him out if he'd had his usual game against us so only fair to say when he had a rare professional performance
I agree, easy to say this when we win but after losing its a even fairer shout.

It was an entertaining game too which could have been a draw. We had chances an clearly are a good side. A Leeds side with injuries too did very well against us. I noticed they kept going for the fourth, not parking the bus.
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

mushy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:34 pm You may have a point, but Diop wasn't responsible for our defeat today was he?
He contributed to it in a big way unfortunately. He was dreadful. I agree others didn't shine but he was so bad I was embarrassed for him.