✍️ Lukasz Fabianski signs

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Re: Lukasz Fabianski signs

Post by k-r-c »

The signing of Areola i think has meant Fabianski knows he needs to be on top form week in week out.

He's shown hes still got it and should be offered atleast another year - we also should be making Areola permanent.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

He’s done okay this season. I disagree he’s “stepped up a level” this season though. He’s probably let more ‘soft goals’ in this first half of the season than he did throughout the whole of last season. But other than those games he’s been fine. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s not because I am one of those fans that desperately wants Areola in the team. It’s just my personal opinion.

The one thing that has really helped Fabianski this season is when he has had a poor game, he followed it up with a solid game. Thus the criticism was brushed under the carpet. E.g. Palace at home, followed by Southampton away. I suspect if those 4-5 shaky games he had were back-to-back not only would Areola be the first choice goalkeeper, but the majority of our supporters would be singing from a different hymn sheet to what they are right now.

I still really appreciate all the good performances we’ve had from Fabianski since he’s been at the club. And I am fine with him getting another year on his contract. As long as it’s not guaranteed he’ll be number 1 and it especially won’t cost us keeping Areola beyond this season.

One thing I’ll say about Fabianski is he is a bit of a dying breed in the world of goalkeepers. And I will miss him when he’s time is up. How many modern goalkeepers come out and claim crosses as much as he does? I can’t think of many.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

That save vs Norwich was world class. Does Areola stop that? Maybe, maybe not, but Fabianski did.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

Really like Fabianski, proper likable player.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Have we made a better signing than Fabianski since Payet? Came in, immediately improved our GK situation, and has been solid ever since. While I think he's slowed down in terms of reactions this season, for sure, he has also made saves like the one against Norwich which have kept clean sheets.

I think Areola will take over from him, assuming that he's been happy here on loan we'll make that permanent and he'll be number one next season, most likely. But Fabianski has been a brilliant signing for 'only' £7m.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 am Have we made a better signing than Fabianski since Payet? Came in, immediately improved our GK situation, and has been solid ever since. While I think he's slowed down in terms of reactions this season, for sure, he has also made saves like the one against Norwich which have kept clean sheets.

I think Areola will take over from him, assuming that he's been happy here on loan we'll make that permanent and he'll be number one next season, most likely. But Fabianski has been a brilliant signing for 'only' £7m.
No, we have not made a better signing other than Payet, in the last 15 years.
Exceptional keeper who, imo, is massively, massively under rated by fans. When he leaves people will realise.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

Finally, a West Ham player the turtle rates.

No coincidence it's one that many others do not.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Has been a terrific servant and as far as I'm concerned, deserves to stay for as long as he wants, or to be allowed to move on if he is to be replaced as number one.

Owes us nothing and has been a rock since he joined. Love the guy.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 am Have we made a better signing than Fabianski since Payet? Came in, immediately improved our GK situation, and has been solid ever since. While I think he's slowed down in terms of reactions this season, for sure, he has also made saves like the one against Norwich which have kept clean sheets.

It really stands to the fact that when you pay for somebody you get that level of quality. Areola would be the same in my book. Too often, I felt we were happy to fill a key position with a free transfer.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:49 am The guy has really stepped up a level this year.
That sure was another game this season he really looked like he stepped up a level!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:19 pm That sure was another game this season he really looked like he stepped up a level!
Nobody else giving you enough attention?
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

S-H wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:28 pm Nobody else giving you enough attention?
Nothing to add to the debate? Nope, didn’t think so. :newthumb:

I don’t need the attention. You show me plenty! :D
S-H

Post by S-H »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:34 pm Nothing to add to the debate? Nope, didn’t think so. :newthumb:
The irony.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Quality keeper. My only reservation is his distribution which I thought was better today. Areola will take over eventually but he has big shoes to fill
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

S-H wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:36 pmThe irony.
My post was about Fabianski. You said he “stepped up a level”. That comment certainly hasn’t aged well. Not that it hadn’t even before today’s game.
S-H

Post by S-H »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:41 pm My post was about Fabianski. You said he “stepped up a level”. That comment certainly hasn’t aged well. Not that it hadn’t even before today’s game.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Just remember to keep posting it on every single thread..

My stance hasn't changed on Fabianski, and nor will it, after one game.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

None of the goals were Fabs fault today :?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

We're very lucky to have two very good Premier League standard goalkeepers.

I don't know why people seem to be insistent that one of them is bad.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

stu1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:53 pm None of the goals were Fabs fault today :?
I love Fab but I think he should have done a lot better on the third one
He hesitated coming off his line when usually he would have been out to the feet of Harrison much quicker
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:05 pm I love Fab but I think he should have done a lot better on the third one
He hesitated coming off his line when usually he would have been out to the feet of Harrison much quicker
Yep. His distribution was poor too.