Issa Diop

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Issa Diop

Post by S-H »

I'm not one to single out players for criticism.

But when you look at the work Moyes has done, with improving players, since he arrived, you have to wonder if this is a good as it gets for Diop.

Maybe a move back to France would be best for everyone, he seems like a decent lad, and I'm sure he trys his best, but if he isn't progressing now, in this team, under Moyes' guidance, then I don't think he ever will.

Such a shame, as he was brilliant in his first season, I know I had high hopes for him
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

He was very promising when he furst turned up. We thought we had pulled off a transfer coup.

What happened!?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1039 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Yeah I think today might have been the straw that breaks the camels back for Diop unfortunately.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

A lot of people are obsessed with him and at times it's like he's the only West Ham player that ever makes mistakes - which after a car crash performance like today's is pretty absurd.

Diop was pretty crap today, but Cresswell, Coufal and Dawson were all worse and each made at least one mistake bigger than anything Diop did wrong.

Poor b*stard. Hope we get Zouma back soon, plus some other CB upgrades, and he gets a Haller-like revival somewhere else.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Could you ever see us getting our money back for him?

Sullivan really is bad at this transfer business lark isn’t he!?
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:08 pm He was very promising when he furst turned up. We thought we had pulled off a transfer coup.

What happened!?
People got over excited and looked past his mistakes because he was only 21/22 and thought he would improve.

He lost form pretty quickly (5 months in) but everyone blamed that on having to play with Ogbonna which is quite assuming in hindsight.

The problem is he is no longer a youngster and he’s not cut those mistakes out, whilst he’s also lost confidence.

The fact people still think we will get our money back or even a profit from Newcastle is baffling.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Certainly not top level Premier league standard.

FWIW, Dawson isn't much better. Seeing Zouma and Oggy perform makes the other two look shocking.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

If he's the answer to Newcastles problems I hate to think what the question is.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Unfortunately, I don't think he has the brain to be a top level footballer.

He constantly makes the wrong decision, his positioning is poor, he gets caught on the ball, makes the wrong pass or else makes a bad one, and for someone who must be 6'6" gets beaten to headers far too often.

Whilst he is first choice week in week out, we will never make it at the very top level.
HammerTime86
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by HammerTime86 »

Always been a supporter of Issa. But, even though I've thought it a few times before, I think I'm burned on him finally.

It's that regular mistake he has in him. Although I do cut him some slack when he's paired with Dawson cos I wonder how the latter's lack of pace affects Diop's decision making (i.e. that trying to nick the ball and only succeeding half the time).
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Marcelo did his homework.

The Leeds game plan was to press everyone except Diop, meaning the ball always ended up with him, to ensure he had to make the forward pass, which was either the wrong one or poorly executed most of the time.

His decision making has always been poor, imo he lacks aggression, and he generally cannot pass to a team mate forward of him.

However, today, he was one of a number of players who disappointed, Lanzini was off the pace and Dawson was no more than average.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

It’s funny think for years Diop has been considered a ball playing CB by many or worth ago as DM.

We really should have been targeting bringing in two CBs this window and shifting Diop.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 pm A lot of people are obsessed with him and at times it's like he's the only West Ham player that ever makes mistakes - which after a car crash performance like today's is pretty absurd.

Diop was pretty crap today, but Cresswell, Coufal and Dawson were all worse and each made at least one mistake bigger than anything Diop did wrong.
A mistake is understandable. Issa didn’t make mistakes. He just wasn’t good enough.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

I remember mourinho singing his praises a few years back saying we have a real talent on our hands, be interesting to know who he was playing alongside that game, maybe he plays better alongside a better cb that leads, helps him and orders him about, rather than just let him get on with it?
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

I think the defensively problem we have is not just Diop but not having someone good enough to play on the left side of our defence in Ogbonna's absence.

Diop seems to have drawn the short straw of having to play alongside an ageing Cresswell, the non-defender that is Arthur and an out of position Johnson, I doubt Dawson had he playing out of his natural position there would be performing any better and Diop might not the subject of conversation had he been on the right.

Any side playing their 3rd and 4th choice centre backs together would expect to be performing weaker but you would expect one of them would be left sided.

Today Leeds knew how exploit Diop but equally did to the same to show the limitations of our other centre back, full backs, Lanzini and Antonio's games and fully deserved their win, the big worry is games like this we did not have the options available to counter it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Tristan Shout wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:28 pm I remember mourinho singing his praises a few years back saying we have a real talent on our hands, be interesting to know who he was playing alongside that game, maybe he plays better alongside a better cb that leads, helps him and orders him about, rather than just let him get on with it?
A quite remarkable collection of defenders, all told, as much as Fabianski was the keeper that day, too.

Zabaleta - Balbuena - Diop - Masuaku

:D

Day also featured Anderson's first goal for the club.
The hayfield
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by The hayfield »

He's completely lost all his confidence . I can't blame Moyes for much but letting balbuena go while keeping him is an absolute howler. I'd be on the phone to Howe IST thing tomorrow morning to see if they still want him. Ben Johnson despite his lack of inches would be a far better centre half than him as he can at least read whats going on in front of him .
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 pm A lot of people are obsessed with him and at times it's like he's the only West Ham player that ever makes mistakes - which after a car crash performance like today's is pretty absurd.

Poor b*stard. Hope we get Zouma back soon, plus some other CB upgrades, and he gets a Haller-like revival somewhere else.
However, it isn't just today. It is most games this season and steadily getting worse. I would rather play Alese or Baptiste than Diop at the moment. As I said previously, his performance today was one of the worst I have seen in over 40 years.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

He doesn't command. Other players will know this too.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:08 pm He was very promising when he furst turned up. We thought we had pulled off a transfer coup.

What happened!?
That last minute surge up the pitch at the first game at Tottenham’s then new ground was the turning point. A real sliding doors moment. In some other footballing universe Issa finishes that run by belting the ball home from 20 yards, running into the adoring arms of the travelling West Ham faithful. Then goes on to be the defensive monster we saw the shoots of in his debut season. Picking up Ballon D’Ors, universal adulation and silverware galore.

But alas, that energy sapping run, resulted in that powderpuff effort. The confidence since drained from him, we wound up to today’s performance.

Next stop sitting outside Westfield necking a bottle of cheap vodka from a brown paper bag and shouting at passing pensioners. By passing pensioners I mean those who continually outpace him in a bid to be first in the queue at the post office