West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

e20too
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by e20too » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm

Mr_incredible wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:49 pm
Moyse cant have it both ways. He likes a small squad so he doesn't have to make too many decisions, then moans about fixtures piling up. If we are to be a regular top 6 club which is a BIG if with this club, hes going to have to make better use of the squad places. Of course Diop and Dawson weren't good enough today....was he not paying attention when the same thing happened last year. I said to my dad before the game, this is gonna be a game too far for them together just like the Newcastle game was last year. I knew our lineup was never going to match Leeds for workrate and yes looking at the bench there wasn't really an obvious fix. The players are blowing out of their asses and players like Diop and Dawson have 'gotten us through' but Moyse has to take this on the chin. He's had a month to sort out another defender. I would have preferred that he'd made the squad decisions he needs to make on Masuaku, Yarmalenko and co last year and we could have moved on. This isn't intended to give the players or Moyse a coating for today...We get it and were happy to be where we are, afterall we could spend 250 million in Jan and still be no higher in the league!!!.....but if we are to truely move forward as a club we cant stand still and make the same old excuses about having no options
You know you have just read my mind, what you have articulated is exactly what I was thinking prior to this match, all the good work and resurrection after poor results of a similar nature was all now dependent on winning this game to complete the revival and get back what we had lost. And we blow it as somehow I just expected tbh.
And yes Moyes has been fantastic for us worked wonders and for that endlessly grateful. But there is one aspect of him that has been consistent throughout his career ultra careful with transfers and waiting and waiting which yes has been a positive for us because of previous madness but it has a downside. It means we end up waiting too long and inevitably getting a result like todays when the clear and obvious weakness we have got away with bites us badly. Even at Mancs players the need to replenish a team living off fumes and Fergies ability to maintain quality beyond its sell by date. That is my longer term worry at a team like us as it was with Everton you will inevitably hit a plateau whereby his snail like pace will mean you end up only replacing the players who for one reason or another leave the club be it age, injury or moving on up as a few of ours will likely do if we can’t sustain momentum. As you say this is a problem like the striker position that we have managed since the Summer and even before and sadly this one result ( though not the only in reality) is once things even out going to make top 4 maybe top 6 far tougher to achieve now, a win a decent chance if still a tough one perhaps. On such drawn out or not decisions lies that line between success and failure in the end.

Now it’s difficult to criticise Moyes from our perspective considering what he has achieved but none the less it’s frustrating when you think we pulled ourselves back into contention knowing we have a chance of strengthening in Jan only with half of it gone no success in so doing has occurred when even before injuries we were on thin ice. Personally despite my frustration and present annoyance I won’t lay into Moyes for this weakness. But I do fear if he isn’t very careful this will be his downfall amongst a section of the fan base. He has set a standard achieved it with limited assets but if it keeps holding back our potential to compete season long and some of this will be seen as his own apparent intransigence in strengthening the squad sooner rather than later hostility will mount especially if players want to leave as a result or perceived as a result. Next six months into the Summer window will be crucial in this regard and should we fail to strengthen the next two weeks then annoyance now after a wasted 3 pts will only ferment that. He has set a high standard that he will for right or wrong be judged by and comments like defenders about to return or indeed Bowens goals taking pressure off what needs to be strengthened really won’t help his cause. That was unwise on his part.

On another note if Kretinsky is indeed to take over the club in the next 18 mths this could affect him too. If be it now or Summer the required strengthening doesn’t take place and form tails off again this season or next season you will potentially get the neutrals and GSB acolytes starting to blame him as well as Moyes for the timing of any downtown. I pray that blips like today don’t develop and go there but Moyes really does have to adapt somewhat I fear if things aren’t going to go sour at some stage with the fan base. Hell some were calling for his head after the December events. Contentment will remain fragile I fear.

sendô
Has liked: 765 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by sendô » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm

That looked like a tired performance. So many misplaced passes, sloppy touches and failure to win the second ball.

Leeds knew what they were doing, they pressed with urgency and in numbers, and didn't give our centre backs anything to pass to.

Antonio does not look the player we saw at the start of the season. He needs a rest.

Vlasic did not get into the game at all sadly. Masuaku offered so much more when he came on, which is a worry.

We've got a great first team when they're all fit, and some good options, but we have not got enough depth to do what the top teams do and rotate for games like this whilst ticking off the wins.

Fair play to Leeds, they were excellent from back to front.

HammerAl
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by HammerAl » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm

I actually felt sorry for Antonio today. We didn’t really have any ideas on the ball all game, so often just played lazy balls into him hoping he’ll do something.

Granted, it wasn’t his best game by a long stretch, but then I think everyone other than Rice was poor on the ball today. Lots of tired looking touches, passes and runs.

Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:46 pm

Well that was frustrating. I thought after we went 2-2 we would push on and started to control the game.

So bad at the back though. That is the worst I have seen Coufal, Dawson was a liability with the ball at his feet and Diop was all over the place. I know Diop was terrible but i cant begin to imagine how bad Dawson would be if asked to play left center back.

We seemed to be constantly waiting for the ball to come to us today rather than running towards it, I lost count of the amount of times Leeds were able to nick it while we were waiting.

Antonio was so frustrating, and shows the need to have another option

Leeds support was good, not sure what happened at the beginning of the 2nd half but they seemed to have a lot of trouble getting back to their seats in the lower tier

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm

Take a look at their third goal.again, if you haven't already.8 All started with a misdirected and wrongly weighted ball at Antonio, who was unable to hold it up and then one pass caught out our entire defence and Fab was too slow coming out. I think Areola would've been quicker coming off his ine to prevent Harrison getting his shot away
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pete647580
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 108 likes

Post by Pete647580 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm

Centre Half wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:32 pm
Cresswell had a shocker today as well.

With the throw ins, it’s obvious how much we miss Soucek. He is always there to receive the ball. No one wanted to receive it today!
Agree with this. No one making themselves available. I think this is *part* of the reason why Coufal and Dawson get criticized - players up the pitch aren't giving them a clear 'out'.

Everything we did brilliantly against Norwich (passing, movement, touch) was poor today.

I really like Antonio as a character, but his control and passing has been shocking for months.

I do think a lot of it is down to physical and mental fatigue, as Moyes says.

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 385 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:50 pm

HammerAl wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:42 pm
I was thinking the same. Moyes chucking on Perkins to get a goal seemed like a plea to the board.
"Here Dave, do you think we're gonna have to fork out for a striker?"

"Reckon I do Dave"

"I suppose we better get the cheque book out then Dave"

"Hold up Dave, Dave's bringing on a young striker"

"Phew Dave, we're saved. Put it away again. Lovely jubbly"

sendô
Has liked: 765 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by sendô » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:52 pm

Pete647580 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm
Agree with this. No one making themselves available. I think this is *part* of the reason why Coufal and Dawson get criticized - players up the pitch aren't giving them a clear 'out'.
100% this.

We had a massive hole in the middle of the pitch. Rice was all over the place, whilst Lanzini, Fornals, Vlasic, Antonio and Bowen were all far too far up the pitch.

We weren't trying to move forwards with the ball as a team, we were constantly trying to slot worldy passes through the middle or long down the flanks.

Considering Leeds often play in a way that suits our game, today we played completely in a way that suited them.

wwipe2001
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wwipe2001 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:52 pm

A lot can be said but the bottom line is if Dawson and Bowen - both extremely capable finishers - put their wide open, free headers from inside the six on frame we may be looking at a 4-3 win. Would have papered over the cracks sure but wouldn’t you rather be lucky and win ?

Edit - can add Rice’s 1:1 with their keeper to this list. Considerably harder chance than either of those 2 but it was a big chance went missing. If he wants to be the type of player he knows and we know he can become, he’s got to either bury it or put it on a plate for someone else
Last edited by wwipe2001 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smuts
Has liked: 462 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by smuts » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:53 pm

Pete647580 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:47 pm
I really like Antonio as a character, but his control and passing has been shocking for months.

I do think a lot of it is down to physical and mental fatigue, as Moyes says.
And we probably still haven't identified a player to come in and compete for his place.

Gerblatz
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Gerblatz » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 pm

Right from the start we crawled out of the blocks and Leeds had us on the back foot. Fatigue looks like some of our lads today - that said, we played well enough to get something from the game - we were saying after their first goal that it was going to be one of those days - a chance to turn the screw on the clubs chasing us and we couldn’t take the chance to do that.,,again.

I’m gutted we couldn’t do that today, we have games against the teams around us and we should be aiming to win those .

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:58 pm

I’ve watched the 3rd goal again since getting home and Vlasic has had a mare. Lack of control and bullied out of it. Wasn’t even a bad pass. Of course on FB etc, everyone blaming Diop.

ageing hammer
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by ageing hammer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 pm

we were shocking in defence today missed Soucek badly Lanzini cannot fill that role, despite playing poorly and Leeds playing very good if Dawson and Bowen score those easy headers we win the game.

in the long run it's probably better we didn't as the board now know we have gone as far as Moyes can take us without proper investment in the squad.

arlhe
Has liked: 35 likes

Post by arlhe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 pm

Third goal was all down to Vlasic. Diop is just an easy target on here: whoever plays left side is going to have a problem being right footed

kentboleyn
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by kentboleyn » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:04 pm

Apart from Rice and Fab .the rest of themwere very poor. Diop was the worst performance if ever seen from any centre back, truly unbelievably bad. The size of the squad and no centre forward option is there for all to see. No options on the bench, we need more quality players to be added and soon.

'stone hammer
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by 'stone hammer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:05 pm

e17 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:41 pm
Tin hat on: I actually think that result and the performance might do us a few favours in the long run.

Proves we need reinforcements badly to the dildos, brings some of the entitlement and expectation levels back down, highlights other clubs cheating their way out of playing even more.
That is hopefully the silver lining. If Zouma isn't back for the game against Man U then we have to try and bring a CB in this week.

stu1
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by stu1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:14 pm

wwipe2001 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:52 pm
A lot can be said but the bottom line is if Dawson and Bowen - both extremely capable finishers - put their wide open, free headers from inside the six on frame we may be looking at a 4-3 win. Would have papered over the cracks sure but wouldn’t you rather be lucky and win ?

Edit - can add Rice’s 1:1 with their keeper to this list. Considerably harder chance than either of those 2 but it was a big chance went missing. If he wants to be the type of player he knows and we know he can become, he’s got to either bury it or put it on a plate for someone else
The same can be said of Leeds though which is hugely worrying as they have been toothless without Bamford this season.

- James was clean through on about 40 minutes and laughably clipped his shot into Fab’s arms.

- We were incredibly lucky not to go 4-1 when their shot hit Rodrigo on the line and VAR rules it out.

- Rafinha’s free kick was an inch away from going in.

We weren’t unlucky today, we were poor.

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 191 likes

Post by Georgee Paris » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm

No doubt about it Soucek and Zouma returning will be a boost but having a couple of other options would be even better. We knew we were gambling not investing and if we don’t get a result at Man U we have gambled and lost.

arlhe
Has liked: 35 likes

Post by arlhe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:20 pm

Meant to add; with loads of injuries and two players going off early doors, Leeds were excellent. Credit to them for the non-stop running and pressing, plus being great on the ball.

It wasn't all about poor West Ham performances, they made sure Diop and Dawson had no easy out-ball.

Ariksan
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by Ariksan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:24 pm

Throughout the game I was convinced we would turn it around with ease. Silly me. Would have been brutal on Leeds if we actually did. Well deserved win for them.