West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

One error, right at the end of the match, cost us a point, if you try to take a positive view of proceedings.

In reality, when a player such as Soucek is unavailable, a larger number of opposition moves get right closer to our reserve CB's.

Leeds were always going to try to avenge the cup match, even if it would have been out of a desire to get some points bordering on the desperate.

For perhaps the first time, the team didn't settle, because they assumed they'd dominate again.

More fool them.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Even thou we were rubbish we could have come out with a draw if bowen did not miss that sitter it was easier to score than what he did
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'll lob a grenade in....the back three last week (Areola, Fredericks, Johnson) are/were more suited to playing this lot, and we wouldn't have lost if they had played instead.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:30 pm I'll lob a grenade in....the back three last week (Areola, Fredericks, Johnson) are/were more suited to playing this lot, and we wouldn't have lost if they had played instead.
I think Johnson especially must be confused about this game. Cresswell just wasn't sharp enough in both the first 2 Leeds goals.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Apart from the overall poor performance today, I say again is there a poorer team anywhere at taking throw ins? It's truly shocking that we don't retain possession from them over and over again. And btw, Coufal's throws are all foul throws, amazed that refs don't pick this up.
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

There were points in that game where we just had defenders and attackers - the midfield was pulled all over the show. As some have said, wonder if Dec could have sat in more like a quarter back?
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

mushy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:34 pm You may have a point, but Diop wasn't responsible for our defeat today was he?
I’m not sure, I genuinely think he was so bad he may have been. It certainly wasn’t our attackers or midfield. So it leaves 5 players.

Fabianski - Poor. Major fault with the 3rd goal.

Coufal - Meh

Dawson - poor

Diop - awful, major issues with all goals

Cresswell - poor

His time is up, he is not a young player anymore. He’s nowhere near good enough.
ChickenrunDub
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ChickenrunDub »

When games and results like today occur, the players / team seem to be victims of their own recent brilliant selves. The truth is, in my opinion, that it was just a game too far against a very energetic and well drilled unit which executed a plan to stop our central midfield picking up the ball and controlling the game. so they let Diop and Dawson have the ball to distribute, moreso Issa, who we all know is the poorer of the two. We do the same when we play Bowen up there on his own. they harried us everywhere. Rice was the only one who broke into space a few times and I cant understand posters have a cut at him for that. All of our strengths lie in our best 10 or 11. Diop looked ok at times with Oggie..... Dawson is fine with either Kurt or Oggie. But when they are together, and Vlad/Cress are making mistakes, performances like today happen. Rice ok with Soucek, but when he has to defend and get forward, it leaves us vulnerable, with Manuel's defensive duties not quite as strong. The game was a great advert for football. I remember reading loads of posts on here that really wanted this type of West Ham..... 77 goals i think.... entertainment in abundance, 4th in the Prem, last 16 of Europa, FA Cup run awaits (in hope) I cant criticise anyone when we lose in a cracker....... It's the west Ham way !!!!
Ironheart
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Ironheart »

At work and just seen Bowens miss
WTAF?
Was he trying to showboat or what?
We’re fn 3-2 down! Just head the f’n thing!
BigFatSam

Post by BigFatSam »

johnnyb wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:37 pm Apart from the overall poor performance today, I say again is there a poorer team anywhere at taking throw ins? It's truly shocking that we don't retain possession from them over and over again. And btw, Coufal's throws are all foul throws, amazed that refs don't pick this up.
We gave away possession so many times. The 2nd goal was conceded almost directly from a poor throw in from coufal.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Sorry, but Coufal being meh, Cresswell poor and Diop being a major issue for all goals is wrong.

First, poor from Cresswell, the next bit was them beating us to the next ball and a nice finish.

Second. Cresswell awful and Coufal playing everyone onside while putting his hand up for offside.

Third. Vlasic. Time and space, didn’t control the pass, bullied and they score.

Diop overall, not great. Blaming him for the goals and making him out to be a worse than the others is not right.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

2 key things for me.

Antonio looks like he doesn't have the energy or fight
to retain possession lately and I'm putting that down to fatigue. I've seen games where he has destroyed his marker and he hasn't done that for a long while. I've seen him get pushed about and for someone of his size it shouldn't happen.

With the 2 CBs.. there's only so long you can carry on with 2 CBs of that quality before you get found out at the highest level of football. They have been absolutely fine as stand-in players but that's all they were intended to be. Sounds harsh but if you genuinely want to achieve top 4 then you need better cover and we all know that.
Still... we're on a 50% win rate so let's keep pushing.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:53 pm It certainly wasn’t our attackers or midfield. So it leaves 5 players.

I disagree entirely, our midfield was largely anonymous apart from the odd spell in the second half.
As for our attackers, Antonio was bloody awful and Bowen was also way below his best .
I can't really think of anyone apart from Rice that had a decent match.
Hence my original question.
BigFatSam

Post by BigFatSam »

Am I the only one that doesn’t think Bowen’s chance was that easy? It was pelted at him and he didn’t have a chance to head or kick it.
BigFatSam

Post by BigFatSam »

mushy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:59 pm I disagree entirely, our midfield was largely anonymous apart from the odd spell in the second half.
As for our attackers, Antonio was bloody awful and Bowen was also way below his best .
I can't really think of anyone apart from Rice that had a decent match.
Hence my original question.
We scored 2 goals though. We shouldn’t need to score 3 against a Leeds teams that has a very weekend team and also had to take 2 players off in the 1st half.

Diop’s general play was awful.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:57 pm Sorry, but Coufal being meh, Cresswell poor and Diop being a major issue for all goals is wrong.

First, poor from Cresswell, the next bit was them beating us to the next ball and a nice finish.

Second. Cresswell awful and Coufal playing everyone onside while putting his hand up for offside.

Third. Vlasic. Time and space, didn’t control the pass, bullied and they score.

Diop overall, not great. Blaming him for the goals and making him out to be a worse than the others is not right.
Trouble is, Diop was worse than the others. By a country mile and has repeatedly been over the past few months. I was really embarrassed for him. The guy has lost all confidence and shouldn't currently be anywhere near the first team.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:00 pm Am I the only one that doesn’t think Bowen’s chance was that easy? It was pelted at him and he didn’t have a chance to head or kick it.
No.

I think he's tried to chest/left-shoulder it in because the ball has arrived at an angle slightly behind his run where he's unable to head it goal-wards. Good to see the run Perkins made just ahead of him.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

I had forgotten how depressing these match threads were.
Leeds need points to avoid relegation.
We are looking for an unlikely top 4 finish.
Not surprising they had more hunger.
We've been in their position many a time.
Tomorrow is another day.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:02 pm We scored 2 goals though. We shouldn’t need to score 3 against a Leeds teams that has a very weekend team and also had to take 2 players off in the 1st half.

Diop’s general play was awful.
Exactly this.

The issue is we were far too open and gave up too many chances. They scored 3, had one disallowed that was really fortunate for us, had a couple of one on one opportunities and hit the woodwork I think twice.

We got two goals and might have got more, but we gave up far more chances than they did.

Earlier in the season we had some games where we didn't play great but picked up points, mainly because the defence looked solid. At the moment it is leaking like a sieve, so when we don't play well we concede 2 or 3. We can't expect to win games if we need to score 3 or 4 every time.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

For those who like their XG - Understat called it : WHU 2.35- LUFC 2.27