January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by funky chicken »

-DL- wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:11 pm ****ing hell. 84 pages in the week since I last visited this thread.

Still no signings though...
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

I really hope the Leeds result puts a fire up Moyes backside. He moaned about playing midweek and the players not having enough energy to match a Leeds B team - but what’s his excuse going to be once the EL starts up again? If we get into the latter stages of that comp, we won’t be able to play our reserves and youngsters.

We need reinforcements. We can get away with playing one of Diop or Dawson, but not both, and as much as Cresswell has been key to our attacking play, we’ve all been saying we need a left back for years. And I’d prioritise those two signings over a striker if I’m honest - as much as we need a striker as well… :(
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Joking aside, Botman looks quality.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Ajorque didn't play for his club today.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 612 likes

Post by NedN »

Macca1973 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:16 pm Joking aside, Botman looks quality.
He does, but I guarantee that playing next to Fonte is also helping him immensely. The help this gives him in his positioning and reading of the game cannot be understated.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:19 pm Ajorque didn't play for his club today.
He's got Burnley and Dyche-ball, written all over him.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The same weaknesses I mentioned on here came home to roost today.

- Centre halves outside of Zouma and Ogbonna are not good enough. And yet are playing every week. Albeit no fault of their own!
- Leftback area defensively weak again.
- Back up for Rice &/or Soucek non-existent.
- No one to bring on the right hand side of attack when Moyes tried to push Bowen up top towards the end other than the ineffective Yarmolenko,

These are the positions we need to strengthen. Especially centre half and midfield. Failure to do so and it’ll be a challenge to get any kind of European football with Wolves breathing down our necks.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Halfway through the transfer window and we have a critical match next week. It’s time for Moyes and Newman to get their finger out establish their targets and for GSBK to make it so.
We desperately need a left sided centre back, a left back upgrade, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a striker. I don’t expect to get all of them, but one need at least one defender and one attacker, and ideally by the weekend.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I reckon Moyes knows who he wants but they’re not available. Their clubs will hold out until the last minute for as much cash as possible.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:37 pm We are in danger of missing a step if we don’t invest in this window imho.
Exactly this.

Declan Rice and Bowen have been a joke this season. The big boys willI be sniffing round both in the summer. It's an easier decision for them if we show a lack of ambition.
WestHamLyallStyle

Peaches wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 pm Halfway through the transfer window and we have a critical match next week. It’s time for Moyes and Newman to get their finger out establish their targets and for GSBK to make it so.
We desperately need a left sided centre back, a left back upgrade, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and a striker. I don’t expect to get all of them, but one need at least one defender and one attacker, and ideally by the weekend.
I can only imagine Kral’s not showing enough in training to be picked.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Some fresh faces would be nice and give us a push for the second half of the season. But I'm glad we haven't got relegation hanging over our heads and desperate to bring players in.

We are in a much stronger position now. I'm not sure how realistic finishing in the top 4 is. Europa should be within our reach but will still take some effort.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

That Sergio Guirassy that we allegedly bid for last summer hasn’t been starting lately (although got two this weekend) and rumoured to be available and on Burnley’s list. Looks very Antonio like when I’ve watched him.

Presumably he’d be affordable and allow a large chunk of the budget where we need it - on the defence.
WestHamLyallStyle

I thought Moyes was keen on the young Chilean lad at Blackburn, Ben Diaz.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

I didn't think we'd need a defensive midfielder in January but if Rice is going to continue to play this box to box role then we need someone be the sitter.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

NWhammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 pm I didn't think we'd need a defensive midfielder in January but if Rice is going to continue to play this box to box role then we need someone be the sitter.
Or play 5 at the back if we’re gonna leave the midfield wide open. Baffling moyes has allowed this shambles of a defence be so exposed.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

NWhammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 pm I didn't think we'd need a defensive midfielder in January but if Rice is going to continue to play this box to box role then we need someone be the sitter.
Exactly why I think we should try to get Boubacar Kamara. When we need more in central midfield we’d be able to play Kamara, Rice and Soucek. It would allow Rice to drive forward, and Soucek to be at his most effective making late runs into the box. It would also give us a lot more on the bench. We’d have three of Lanzini, Fornals, Benrahma and Vlasic, assuming Bowen, Antonio and one of the other 3 start.
Kamara can also play as a centre back if needed.
We were budgeting paying £11M for Kral, that money can be used towards Kamara.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Fair play to Bielsa, he exploited our obvious weaknesses today.

1. Cresswell struggles against pace.
2. Backup CB pairing is prone to big lapses.
3. If we lose the ball in midfield, quick passes to the forwards are our downfall. (Weak in transition defending)
4. We have zero squad depth.

Actual competition for Cresswell, Ogbonna’s replacement, backup to Soucek/Rice, and another option or two up top are essential.

Over the next two windows, we need a replacement for Yarmolenko, a player to challenge Antonio, a player to challenge Soucek/Rice, Cresswell, Ogbonna, etc. This can’t all be done in the summer. Make some budget available and get some players in now if we want to keep Rice/Bowen.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1093 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 pm Image
Can’t believe they’ve wasted money on printing his name and 2022 on a shirt.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

I don’t blame our team against Leeds today, they just looked a bit tired compared to Leeds who looked a little fresher having not played midweek.

Which goes to show how much we miss a little bit of squad depth. Our bench looked very light today, maybe the weakest all season, considering Benny away, Covid and injuries. Moyes had very few options.

F A Cup and Europa to come. This is the time to freshen things up. Come on Moyes and co, start strengthening.