✍️ Lukasz Fabianski signs

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: Lukasz Fabianski signs

Post by stu1 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:05 pm I love Fab but I think he should have done a lot better on the third one
He hesitated coming off his line when usually he would have been out to the feet of Harrison much quicker
Possibly, the Leeds player should still be scoring though.

He was clean through and had time to steady himself before finishing (even if Fab had been slightly quicker off his line).

Today was certainly not a day for blaming Fab, if Areola plays today we still lose.
GPW
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by GPW »

stu1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:53 pm None of the goals were Fabs fault today :?
There is a grey area for GKs between "fault" and "might have done better". Fab lets in very few that fall in the first category but when goals are replayed more fall in the second category than I'd like. The third today definitely does and perhaps the first. He was below par today like everyone else.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

GPW wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 pm There is a grey area for GKs between "fault" and "might have done better". Fab lets in very few that fall in the first category but when goals are replayed more fall in the second category than I'd like. The third today definitely does and perhaps the first. He was below par today like everyone else.
The same can be said of Areola though tbh.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Missed the game today (thanks for moving it Sky).

Saw the goals - definitely think the first and third fell in the ‘keeper could have done better’ bucket.

Often if that happens with Fab he has a worldie at some other point in the game - did that happen today? Was his distribution better than the Norwich game?
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

We’ve played 22 games now. And we’ve had question marks over a goal, or goals he has conceded in the following games:

- Leicester (H)
- Palace (H)
- Man Utd (H)
- Brentford (H)
- Villa (A)
- Chelsea (H)
- Leeds (H)

And we are just over halfway through the season.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Still the best keeper we have though.
Nit much in it but fab is still our number one
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Some very harsh criticism here imo. God knows how pre-Sky keepers like Parkes and Ludo would be judged now with this very forensic analysis of every goal they ever conceded.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:35 am Some very harsh criticism here imo. God knows how pre-Sky keepers like Parkes and Ludo would be judged now with this very forensic analysis of every goal they ever conceded.
The same people are always very knee-jerk, after a defeat, you'll see them in most threads finding fault with nearly all the players.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:35 am Some very harsh criticism here imo.
Far from it. We’ve conceded 2+ goals in half our Premier League matches this season. We’ve become a cropper. And questions should be asked of all our defensive players.

He has been a great goalkeeper for us. But he is definitely on the decline. Whether Areola is the answer long term, who knows.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Wow, tough crowd

We have defensive issues without a doubt but I think Fabianski isn't where we should be pointing the finger at all
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Fabianski has made the second most amount of saves in the PL this season. We shouldn’t be giving the opposition so many chances to have shots on goal.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I agree that some are being a little harsh on Fabianski. I think it is true (?) that he is 2nd or 3rd in saves made this season, which is both good and worrying if he has to make that many!

Moyes does have a problem though in keeping Areola happy. He seems a fine keeper, good enough for the Premiership, and his distribution is certainly miles better than Fabianski.
Chadwell Chief
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Chadwell Chief »

Fabianski has mostly been playing well

We still seem to be conceding far too many goals (90% down to the defenders but I can remember at least a half dozen goals I thought the Fabianski of two years ago would’ve saved this season) as well as some amazing shot stopping from Fab sprinkled throughout in fairness.

It’s not like Areola is a massively superior goalkeeper but he’s tall, imposing, braver in coming out and has better distribution. Fab is what 35? It can’t be long now.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:54 am We’ve played 22 games now. And we’ve had question marks over a goal, or goals he has conceded in the following games:

- Leicester (H)
- Palace (H)
- Man Utd (H)
- Brentford (H)
- Villa (A)
- Chelsea (H)
- Leeds (H)

And we are just over halfway through the season.
No, you might have had question marks, but none of the goals we let in vs Leeds were his fault, they were all down to the defence/midfield.

The first goal, he actually saved the initial shot, and somehow got his fingertips to the follow up, but when a player has a free shot barely 12 yards out the odds are against you.

Second goal was a flick on for a corner. Absolutely nothing he can do given how far out the initial flick on was and the crowd of bodies he would have had to go through, and I sure hope you are not expecting his should have been back post?

Third goal Raphina split our defence apart and Harrison was through one on one. Fab came out quick and made himself big but the attacker is always the favourite in those situations and Harrison finished well.

As to those other games, out of the entire season so far, you can only pick out 7 goals that you think Fabianski has "question marks over a goal" rather than being directly at fault for. I see that as a positive for a keeper, who will have a role in every single goal we concede by virtue of the position he plays.

It seems to me you are stratching around for reasons to criticise a player you seem to have it in for.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:17 am No, you might have had question marks, but none of the goals we let in vs Leeds were his fault, they were all down to the defence/midfield.

The first goal, he actually saved the initial shot, and somehow got his fingertips to the follow up, but when a player has a free shot barely 12 yards out the odds are against you.

Second goal was a flick on for a corner. Absolutely nothing he can do given how far out the initial flick on was and the crowd of bodies he would have had to go through, and I sure hope you are not expecting his should have been back post?

Third goal Raphina split our defence apart and Harrison was through one on one. Fab came out quick and made himself big but the attacker is always the favourite in those situations and Harrison finished well.

As to those other games, out of the entire season so far, you can only pick out 7 goals that you think Fabianski has "question marks over a goal" rather than being directly at fault for. I see that as a positive for a keeper, who will have a role in every single goal we concede by virtue of the position he plays.

It seems to me you are stratching around for reasons to criticise a player you seem to have it in for.
You didn’t read my post well. I said: “we’ve had question marks over a goal, or goals he has conceded”. So straightaway I have no idea why you are waffling about all 3 of Leeds’ goals. As I never once said he was to blame for all 3. Although it agree with others on here that he was slow off his line for their 3rd.

I also never specifically said there was 7 goals I thought Fabianski had questions marks over. I think the word you are looking for is ‘games’. And if that’s a positive to have question marks in at least 7 games in 22 then that is quite frankly as bewildering as reading a post describing Fab as really stepping “up a level this year”. 7 in 22 is moreless a third of the season so far.

As for having “having it in for”. That’s a very lazy assumption. A quick post search will show there has been plenty of times I have praised him for good performances.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:44 am You didn’t read my post well. I said: “we’ve had question marks over a goal, or goals he has conceded”. So straightaway I have no idea why you are waffling about all 3 of Leeds’ goals. As I never once said he was to blame for all 3. Although it agree with others on here that he was slow off his line for their 3rd.
Yep, you said "or goals he has conceded" and then listed the Leeds game without qualification.

I'm not really sure what people expect him to do for the third. Do people expect him to start running as soon as the ball leaves Raphina's foot?
funky chicken wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:44 am I also never specifically said there was 7 goals I thought Fabianski had questions marks over. I think the word you are looking for is ‘games’. And if that’s a positive to have question marks in at least 7 games in 22 then that is quite frankly as bewildering as reading a post describing Fab as really stepping “up a level this year”. 7 in 22 is moreless a third of the season so far.
Oh right, so was it every goal in each one of those games? Or at least more than one? Do you have specific goals in mind then? The Leicester and Villa games we only conceded once, so I assume you think he was at fault for those goals?
Kakophonix
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Kakophonix »

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/saves

you will hardly find a better option...one of the reasons West Ham is still at 4th place is for sure Fabianski :newthumb:
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Kakophonix wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:14 pm https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/saves

you will hardly find a better option...one of the reasons West Ham is still at 4th place is for sure Fabianski :newthumb:
Sums up how cr*p all our defensive players has been this season if he’s had to make that many saves.

You could also argue we would’ve had more points if imo he had saved the first Palace goal at home, or didn’t push a save into an easy ‘tap-in’ position in the Man Utd, Brentford and Leeds games. Let alone come out quicker for the 3rd Leeds goal. From those fixtures I make that at least 5 points he cost us. Those could be very big points by the end of the season.

To add some balance though, he shouldn’t have been in the position to make some of those saves. Again that’s on our defensive players.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:54 am We’ve played 22 games now. And we’ve had question marks over a goal, or goals he has conceded
You might have. I don't.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1070 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Both Palace goals were Dawson's fault imo, or actually Moyes' fault for not playing Zouma in that match