January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Gsbgsb »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:52 pm 12 months beforehand maybe. By the time we signed him I think it was just Moyes who wasn't a bit wary of bringing him in.
I suspect Moyes was as wary thus the loan deal.

Point trying to make is that for fans names become flavour of a window etc when in fact you should be looking at a player for a long time to judge their actual worth. Palace have been monitoring Nketiah for many windows according to Hodgson who should know. History shows long term assessment is something we seem to have been spectacularly bad at doing pre Moyes, certainly with big signings.

We are building a system from ground up. Just throwing money at an issue does not work as Everton have found out.

People are moaning about how Newman has not unearthed anyone in a few months in the job when what Man City might want out of a player and our needs are very different. Finding the right player takes time and patience. Short term fixes go loans or short term deals.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

ereford ammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:07 pm Chelsea have a buy back clause with Broja
Buyback clauses shouldn't be allowed. Or at least made they have to be double.

Teams like this spend 20 years financial doping.
Push up transfer fees and salaries.
Hoover up all the young talent in Europe and loan them out.

Then they sell their players to smaller teams - which is a gamble to the buyer as they could fail. Should they be a success they can just take them back.

Obviously there are greater injustices in the world but it stinks!
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:02 pm I’d take Origi, think he’d do well here and definitely contribute enough to make him a worth while signing. But agree Broja looks fantastic and would be my first choice. Seriously if there is a inkling chelsea would sell him and we surely surely have to act. Be criminal if moyes didn’t even try for him.
Origi might be okay, I just don't see how he'd trade Liverpool's bench for ours, and he hasn't been a first team starter in 6 years, it's almost impossible to know his actual quality.

If there is any indication of Broja's interest I'd try to bring a body like Maja in for the season and throw the sink at Broja in the summer.
Bubbles Fortuna

ereford ammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:07 pm Chelsea have a buy back clause with Broja
He's only on loan, they don't need a buy back.
Mullhull
Has liked: 333 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Have they sold him to Soton? or just talk about it at the moment?

I know the other player Chelsea sold them the full back, he has a £40m buy back
jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

A buy back clause should be first refusal, not a mandatory sale fee.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3170 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

To be fair to Kral, he’s 23, come to a new country and got Covid. He was probably loaned in to be looked at and tested out as a long term thing. Looking at how Moyes integrates players, he’s probably on the right track.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:36 pm Origi might be okay, I just don't see how he'd trade Liverpool's bench for ours, and he hasn't been a first team starter in 6 years, it's almost impossible to know his actual quality.

If there is any indication of Broja's interest I'd try to bring a body like Maja in for the season and throw the sink at Broja in the summer.
Origi would spend less time on our bench though. He’d start a fair few games and get quite a lot of game time.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

jastons wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:46 pm A buy back clause should be first refusal, not a mandatory sale fee.
Totally agree
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:36 pm Origi might be okay, I just don't see how he'd trade Liverpool's bench for ours, and he hasn't been a first team starter in 6 years, it's almost impossible to know his actual quality.

Origi is more than capable of being a starting player here
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I don’t think any of us actually know for sure whether Origi is good enough or not to start for us, which is why we probably shouldn’t go for him. It’s very hard for us to judge or for him to be scouted due to his lack of playing time, but I’d much rather go for a player who we are more comfortable with being good enough to start or at least really challenge those forward positions.
spod
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by spod »

Origi on a six-month loan, if he and Liverpool were agreeable, would be a low-risk and relatively inexpensive way to gently twist the cap on the shaken-up lemonade bottle that is Antonio's hamstring.
Mullhull
Has liked: 333 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:51 pm To be fair to Kral, he’s 23, come to a new country and got Covid. He was probably loaned in to be looked at and tested out as a long term thing. Looking at how Moyes integrates players, he’s probably on the right track.
As I've posted in here before, he is still adapting. I watched a Vlasic interview too the other day and he said he come in and was like ok I need time to adjust, he intially thought he didn't need to, but agrees its been good for him.

Vlasic Sky Interview

Kral had an interview where he also said the same but he was confident he can do it.
Bubbles Fortuna

Ozza wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 pm Origi is more than capable of being a starting player here
Not when we sign Broja in the summer though :D
Bubbles Fortuna

jastons wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:46 pm A buy back clause should be first refusal, not a mandatory sale fee.
They're vile.

Just protects the rich clubs more and more. If Livramento really kicks on at Southampton, Chelsea can nab him back for £40 million, even if they don't want him themselves, they can just do it to sell him again.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

HammerAl wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:01 pm I don’t think any of us actually know for sure whether Origi is good enough or not to start for us, which is why we probably shouldn’t go for him. It’s very hard for us to judge or for him to be scouted due to his lack of playing time, but I’d much rather go for a player who we are more comfortable with being good enough to start or at least really challenge those forward positions.

Origi is good enough to challenge Antonio. I’m not saying Origi is a world beater but people way overrate Antonio.
Bubbles Fortuna

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:08 pm Origi is good enough to challenge Antonio. I’m not saying Origi is a world beater but people way overrate Antonio.
Only Salah is involved in more goals this season than Antonio. You way underrate him.

The issue with Origi is that he hasn't played regular first team football since he was 19, we literally have no idea if he's any good. He's a punt for anyone, but the sort of punt Moyes is usually good at.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:33 pm We needed a central midfielder to compete/cover Rice and Soucek - absolutely no question - last summer.

We signed the wrong one by the look of it.
Was talking to a friend about this last night.
Kral has not looks too bad when I’ve seen him play.
So purely speculating but the club have previous with player contract situations (going back a while now - have Mascarano - but Mullins was preferred option, then moves on to Liverpool - quality players on to Barcelona)
Is there something in the Kral contract meaning if we play him a certain number of matches/minutes then we have to buy him?
Also with masusku, he gets a game when he’s really not needed (a lot of the time) - and Yarmolenko the obligatory sub appearance (4 seconds in the cup game).
Purely speculating.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I am seriously beginning to wonder if Moyes is really too interested in further team strengthening for the moment, since it is ano established fact, he likes to work with a small and settled squad of players
Bubbles Fortuna

I wonder if anyone will take a punt on Mohammed Kamara after his heroics for Sierra Leone so far at AFCoN.

His technique is mental from highlights, but I can see him popping up in Europe somewhere.