Which is the odd one out?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 103 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Which is the odd one out?

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:34 pm

The East Ham Working Men's Club, The Victoria Tavern, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Central, The Denmark Arms, The White Horse, the Boleyn Tavern, Ken's Cafe plus Duncan's and Nathan's pie and mash shops?

Answer: The Boleyn Tavern - the only hostelry listed not to have gone out of business since West Ham United moved from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136626

Diogenes
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 268 likes

Re: Which is the odd one out?

Post by Diogenes » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:38 pm

To be fair, many of those were on their last legs anyhow and probably wouldnt have survived. Indeed, I thought a couple had already gone (?).

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 103 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:43 pm

Diogenes wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:38 pm
To be fair, many of those were on their last legs anyhow and probably wouldnt have survived. Indeed, I thought a couple had already gone (?).
That'd be the likes of The Green Man and (KUMB's) The Earl of Wakefield, which I didn't mention, but all the above were viable businesses until the club moved up the road.

Ozza
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Ozza » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Used to love a pint in the Duke before a match....so sad

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:54 pm

Yep, very sad, football moving away was going to kill some off, no matter what certain people said..

I only ever went in 3 of those pubs away from football when I was visiting my cousin, they were always incredibly quiet, although were week nights in fairness.

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Gsbgsb » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:29 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:43 pm
That'd be the likes of The Green Man and (KUMB's) The Earl of Wakefield, which I didn't mention, but all the above were viable business' until the club moved up the road.
The article mentions the Earl of Wakefield - surly that closed well before the move. I seem to remember walking past it when it was some sort of day centre on the way to East Ham station?

Kentish Hammer
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:49 pm

The Duke of Edinburgh closed before we moved.

Although I'm sure the impending move was a factor in the decision to sell the property.

Makes me laugh when walking past seeing a load of posh Asian attire situated right on the spots where such uncouth high jinks used to occur.

mushy
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by mushy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:07 pm

Article also mentions The Victoria Tavern, am bloody sure I've been in there in the last year or so.
As for The White Horse, it didn't close due to going out of business but due to the entire plot of land being redeveloped.
And I was definitely in the refurbished Denmark last year.

Ofuzz
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Ofuzz » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:52 am

I've flown over for West Ham matches a few times in the last decade (from Canada). Always enjoyed going to the Black Lion pre-match. I hope it's still there. Made a few friends at that pub. :hammc:

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 am

I see over the weekend the Plaistow Community Centre announced it is closing. They said the two factors were the ground move and Newham Council. Last date of opening is 16th April, when we play at home to Burnley.

Always a well priced pint (probably one of the better pints of Guinness in London), looked after those who had chosen to go in there by giving a big platter of sandwiches etc at halftime of games. My favourite time in there was after one of the marches, I think we had Everton and loads of people went into the Community Centre opposed to the game, they had the match on via a dodgy stream and when we scored, the stream buffered and played the past couple of minutes again, meaning those who were well oiled thought we had scored a quick double.

It's a real shame to see these places go, but it was always going to happen. People will always choose convenience and going out to Plaistow / Upton Park before a game doesn't suit the majority.

Diogenes
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 268 likes

Post by Diogenes » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 am

Up the Junction wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:43 pm
That'd be the likes of The Green Man and (KUMB's) The Earl of Wakefield, which I didn't mention, but all the above were viable business' until the club moved up the road.
I'm not sure they were all 'viable' UtJ and, as I say, many were struggling even with our support. In addition, I am sure (as someone else mentions) some of those are still there(?)

I agree however that it is sad when you see the decline of the traditional British Pub and eating establishments. However, this is a countrywide issue not just an E13 (and surround) problem. Where I live these days we have lost 3 locals in the past 24 months to development or conversion to so called Gastro Pub/Wine Bar and I am sure many on here will claim similar in their locale.

Estuary
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:19 am

While I am sure that the natch day income kept one or two afloat the reality is that pubs all over the country are closing. In my own home town there are more that have closed than remain open. The advent of supermarkets selling very cheap drink meant people didn't go to pubs.
It was not unusual in the last decade at Up to see crowds of people drinking on Green Street from tins bought from local shops, they didn't into the pubs.

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 218 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am

I can remember singing “ Ken’s Cafe “ on the South Bank one home match. Bizarre. Other people were singing too. Honest.

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:59 pm

Kentish Hammer wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:49 pm
The Duke of Edinburgh closed before we moved.

Although I'm sure the impending move was a factor in the decision to sell the property.

Makes me laugh when walking past seeing a load of posh Asian attire situated right on the spots where such uncouth high jinks used to occur.
Swear my ex-old man kept that place afloat.......the number of times I dragged him out of there :swear:

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Clucking Bell » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:30 pm

Sadly, I think if your business requires you to be chocka for three hours on alternate Saturdays to make up for the fact that you've got no customers the rest of the time, you're probably SOL. If football clubs themselves were solely dependent on match day income, they wouldn't be paying players a hundred large a week or signing them for a hundred million.

Ticker Boyce
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Ticker Boyce » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:30 pm

Walked past the Victoria after Sunday's match (on my way to the Black Lion) and it was open. The Denmark reopened a while back, though it only opens at 4pm Monday to Friday, with more normal hours at the weekend. I think the Boleyn also opens at 4pm Monday to Wednesday with more normal hours other days.