West Ham Utd 2-3 Leeds Utd (16/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by Aceface »

That Fornals goal deserved a far better fate than to be lost amidst the attempts to forget this game. Brought to mind the final third of Payet's Boro goal.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Aceface wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:19 pm That Fornals goal deserved a far better fate than to be lost amidst the attempts to forget this game. Brought to mind the final third of Payet's Boro goal.
It was a beautiful no look sell the keeper finish at the near post to be fair.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Just watching MOTD2 on catch up.

Danny Murphy very complimentary about us. Thinks we should keep the result in perspective.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

2 fairly long posts on the game that I have lost, not website fault, me I think! muppet!

I walked away from the bowl thinking I have certainly been entertained and fair play to Leeds, Bielsa done a job on Moyes I felt, let our 2 CB's have the ball, they play it and then press hard, worked a treat, we missed Oggy hugely as our "ball players" had a bit of a mare yesterday, possibly a bit of tiredness but I think more Leeds were proper on it. Leeds fans thinking that maybe Bielsa is done need to look at that game, every player gave everything to the shirt.

One of those days for us, shame, as those 3 points lost could be huge come end of the season.

Our defence is starting to creak more, we need Zouma back and a new CB in quick. I love the fact we get so many bodies in the box, but perhaps we need one to sit a little more for protection until then, no Kral sub was a strange one for me as Lanzini got lost in the game, unusual for him as he has been in fine form recently.

Chalked down to Leeds done us fair & square, it happens, just not very often this season.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Hamburger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:17 pm Moyes - "We were chasing the game from 15 minutes in and it was really difficult to change him (Antonio). He was out on his legs after the game but again what can we do?"

At a wild guess I'd say buy a striker, you've had a year?
Bang on. Quite the ridiculous situation really. Will be surprised if we get one this window too.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I said the FA Cup team was too strong at the time and that I didn’t want to hear about players being fatigued.

Antonio did not need to start last Sunday.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

I think it speaks volumes of how far we have come over the last two years, that we are so disappointed by a narrow loss to Leeds Utd.

That said, it was a pretty poor performance. The biggest mystery were the substitutions, the 1st one particularly. I'd have gone with Yamolenko, move Bowen into the centre and Antonio to the left (where he caused problems later on). It could have been a chance to try Okoflex. Bringing off Fornals for the second change completely imbalanced the team. The absence of Kral is also a mystery.

We have always thought that Arthur was being played out of position at left back and was really a left winger. His recent performances, further forward, have made me change my mind. He really is a left back, albeit one a bit dodgy defensively.

Fair play to Moyes, he has done a great job for us both on and off the pitch, but Sunday wasn't his finest moment.
Hammer_Time1
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

My first game at London Stadium since January 2020 and my first WHU game since Man City away circa Feb 2020. I was looking forward to seeing the West Ham of new in the flesh.. sorry lads I'll keep away in future. :zippy:
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:42 pm I think it speaks volumes of how far we have come over the last two years, that we are so disappointed by a narrow loss to Leeds Utd.

That said, it was a pretty poor performance. The biggest mystery were the substitutions, the 1st one particularly. I'd have gone with Yamolenko, move Bowen into the centre and Antonio to the left (where he caused problems later on). It could have been a chance to try Okoflex. Bringing off Fornals for the second change completely imbalanced the team. The absence of Kral is also a mystery.

We have always thought that Arthur was being played out of position at left back and was really a left winger. His recent performances, further forward, have made me change my mind. He really is a left back, albeit one a bit dodgy defensively.

Fair play to Moyes, he has done a great job for us both on and off the pitch, but Sunday wasn't his finest moment.
I know many have mentioned poor substitutions by Moyes but I'm not sure he had too many choices really. With no Benny or Soucek and our injury woes, I think it was our weakest bench all season.

I'd rather not have seen either of Vlasic or Fornals come off, but we don't know how fit they are. At least neither are injured and should be fit for Man United. If they did need to come off for fitness reasons, who else could we have realistically put on from the subs bench?

I'm no fan of his generally, but if you want to roll the dice when chasing a game with ten minutes to go, Yarmo does actually sometimes add some unpredictability. I thought his cameo was ok really. We all want to see our youngsters get some game time, but I'm afraid Yarmo offered more than Perkins.

Not having a go at Perkins - he's only 17 and it's good to see him get an opportunity. But I think it also demonstrates how tied Moyes' hands were with a lack of choices.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Ethanadict wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:49 pm I'm no fan of his generally, but if you want to roll the dice when chasing a game with ten minutes to go, Yarmo does actually sometimes add some unpredictability. I thought his cameo was ok really. We all want to see our youngsters get some game time, but I'm afraid Yarmo offered more than Perkins.

Not having a go at Perkins - he's only 17 and it's good to see him get an opportunity. But I think it also demonstrates how tied Moyes' hands were with a lack of choices.
Quite. He was actually quite effective, working the keeper and scoring that offside goal.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:18 pm I said the FA Cup team was too strong at the time and that I didn’t want to hear about players being fatigued.

Antonio did not need to start last Sunday.
That's not what people would have said if they beat us in the Cup.

No way of knowing how that game ends if he didn't play, he did set up the goal at the end to seal the game.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 pm That's not what people would have said if they beat us in the Cup.

No way of knowing how that game ends if he didn't play, he did set up the goal at the end to seal the game.
If we'd lost a harum scarum 2-3 to Leeds in the cup, but beaten them in the league match, I would have been happier, personally.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 pm Quite. He was actually quite effective, working the keeper and scoring that offside goal.
Yeah. In fairness to Yarmolenko, he came on against Spurs and hit the bar, nearly scored against Norwich in the week and nearly scored with the shot near the end against Leeds. Nearlys I know, but at least he had the efforts
Bubbles Fortuna

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:16 pm If we'd lost a harum scarum 2-3 to Leeds in the cup, but beaten them in the league match, I would have been happier, personally.
I disagree, I want to win something!
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 pm That's not what people would have said if they beat us in the Cup.

I said it at the time and after the game. I wasn’t happy with that team selection with 3 games in 7 days. Moyes should have known better.
Bubbles Fortuna

Billydinho wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 pm I said it at the time and after the game. I wasn’t happy with that team selection with 3 games in 7 days. Moyes should have known better.
I disagree, I'd prioritise the cups for sure.

Maybe he shouldn't have started Antonio in the league mind.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Billydinho wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 pm I said it at the time and after the game. I wasn’t happy with that team selection with 3 games in 7 days. Moyes should have known better.
With respect, known better than what? You or I who are complete amateurs or his (and his coaching teams) years of experience.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

That Antonio cannot play 90 minutes 3 times in a week.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Antonio should have missed the Norwich game
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:35 am Antonio should have missed the Norwich game
Maybe, but what if we failed to score vs Norwich as a result of it?