January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Bristoliron338
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Bristoliron338 »

Peaches wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:16 pm Szalai is a very Moyes signing. €20M is a very fair price. It’s much better value for a better LCB than pretty much any one else we’ve been linked with. To put things in perspective he’s 24 this week, and would improve us more than Digne at £10M less on less than half the wages. That should leave more than enough for a striker. Szalai or Caleta-Carr are massive upgrades on Diop and with all due respect Dawson, and even a an upgrade on Ogbonna.
How dare you speak such dirty things about dawson?
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:25 am So we are looking at the Turkish league to find a 'right player', seriously? Remember hot prospect Golkan Tore?

I'm somewhat bemused about the confidence behind Moyes 'right player' policy. Didn't work in the summer and so far it's not working now, potentially to the detriment of the club and players. Selling Haller in January and not August defies logic too, not to mention Hugill. A good manager, no doubt, but his 50% transfer success rate and dithering doesn't inspire imo.
Going by your logic about not signing players because of the league they play in we would not have signed Soucek or Coufal.

Why did his policy not work in the summer? He wasn't able to find all the players he wanted with the right quality, attitude or at the right price to improve us in some areas so he didn't go for inferior alternatives.

He has a far greater than 50% success rate which for a club like us is huge considering that the prices we shop at mean most players are a gamble. Thankfully we have a manager that calculates and makes that gamble as low risk as possible so we don't have our head in our hands watching some of the absolute ***** we have over the years, only to find them on the bench, on loan and draining resources.

As for the sale of Haller. Have you considered that nobody made any offers for him in August? Moyes is quoted as saying: "I think that the Seb Haller situation was simply that we got an offer, we didn't expect it, we weren't planning to lose Seb this window." It amazes me just how many people know the inner going ons at the club

Some people seem determined to sign players even if they add little or no value. I'd much rather keep a good squad dynamic and incentivise our young players.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 612 likes

Post by NedN »

Aceface wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:09 am Appears to be wildly mixed opinions on Szalai from Turkish Lig fans. A lot think he’s great, but a noticeable number seem to believe he’s not even Fenerbahce’s best CB. Think the gist is he’s not playing quite as well this season as last?
Interestingly, Kim, Fenerbahce’s other cb (Korean intl) is really highly rated as well and linked with Napoli (although he just arrived in Turkey in the summer). He would be good as well, although he isn’t left footed and doesn’t offer the ability to play CB, LCB (in a 3) or LB like Szalai does
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3052 likes
Total likes: 2693 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Szalai's agent is the german Roger Wittmann. Someone, who tries to fabricate a lot of stories around the players to get them in the shopping window. He's also the agent of Josh King, someone we've been linked to numerous times in the past, while Moyes later denied any sort of interest and has said, that he never was part of their thinking.

I would therefor take and because a lot of German clubs refuse to work with Roger Wittmann and his agency ROGON (really strange tie up between his Agency and Hoffenheim btw :arry: ), every rumour on players from his agency with a pinch of salt.

Nevertheless, Szalai looked like a real Moyes-type of player during the EUROs, I have to agree.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Just thinking Ogbonna was left footed but he never played left back for us even in an emergency as far as I can remember? I understand it’s great to have a left / right footed CB pairing but I don’t remember seeing our CBS ever as left backs or right backs… not since Winston Reid and Ian Pearce. There’s always been a Cresswell or a long line of dodgy right backs.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Peaches wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:16 pm Szalai or Caleta-Carr are massive upgrades on Diop and with all due respect Dawson, and even a an upgrade on Ogbonna.
You don't know that though, do you.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I really liked the look of Szalai when I’ve seen him play. My only concerns are whether he’d adapt to the Premier League. And whether he can play in a back 4. As admittedly the only time I’ve seen him play was for Hungary in a back 5.

I am just not sure if this is the type of gamble we should be making half way though the season. IMO we need someone who can come in now and play straightaway. I think he would benefit more being signed in the summer and having a pre-season with his new teammates. It’s not to say he couldn’t hit the ground running straightaway. Soucek did when he joined. But it’s a gamble.

I have a feeling Moyes knows which centre half he wants until the end of the season and he’s just waiting for their parent club to sort something out, or for the ACON to be almost over. I think it’ll either be Hause or Diallo. Villa are suppose to be looking for another centre half, I believe. And Diallo is away at the ACON.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 437 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

It’s amazing how many of the players we are being linked to moved for under £10m in the last 18 months or so. I guess if we know of them as fans everyone would know them, but I do hope we start picking a few if them up earlier. If I had more time I’d do a team we could have bought for under £100m since Moyes took over. Not a sight on him, but to show what’s possible (retrospectively admittedly).
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3052 likes
Total likes: 2693 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

funky chicken wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am I really liked the look of Szalai when I’ve seen him play. My only concerns are whether he’d adapt to the Premier League. And whether he can play in a back 4. As admittedly the only time I’ve seen him play was for Hungary in a back 5.

I am just not sure if this is the type of gamble we should be making half way though the season. IMO we need someone who can come in now and play straightaway. I think he would benefit more being signed in the summer and having a pre-season with his new teammates. It’s not to say he couldn’t hit the ground running straightaway. Soucek did when he joined. But it’s a gamble.

I have a feeling Moyes knows which centre half he wants until the end of the season and he’s just waiting for their parent club to sort something out, or for the ACON to be almost over. I think it’ll either be Hause or Diallo. Villa are suppose to be looking for another centre half, I believe. And Diallo is away at the ACON.
I think the same. Unless Dawson requires a surgery because of his current smaller'ish injury, he's going to partner Zouma again and the player coming in will be the first backup to them and/or Cresswell.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

need to get on with it now. man utd on saturday so I guess we will find out if lingard is coming or not after that. wouldnt be surprised to see him start against us !

LB CB CF still needed !!!
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:10 am Szalai's agent is the german Roger Wittmann. Someone, who tries to fabricate a lot of stories around the players to get them in the shopping window. He's also the agent of Josh King, someone we've been linked to numerous times in the past, while Moyes later denied any sort of interest and has said, that he never was part of their thinking.

I would therefor take and because a lot of German clubs refuse to work with Roger Wittmann and his agency ROGON (really strange tie up between his Agency and Hoffenheim btw :arry: ), every rumour on players from his agency with a pinch of salt.

Nevertheless, Szalai looked like a real Moyes-type of player during the EUROs, I have to agree.
It's either true or it's Szalai.
WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

I am doubtful we will sign anyone the board have history of letting us down and not putting their hands in their pockets when we're close to getting into the top 4 id love to be proven wrong but this lot have form on their side for that
Eastleigh Hammer

Post by Eastleigh Hammer »

The signing of Lingard last January proved to be one that helped us regain our momentum and push on for a European spot. We're starting to falter slightly so I'm praying for a repeat, whether it be Lingard or someone new!
Watford
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Watford »

Sinking feeling loading…..
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Hayden wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 am That would be a very strange reason to write off an entire league / country. Don't go into management.
Do you have a list of PL successes from that ''hot bed'' league?
mattyD
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by mattyD »

I think the Hungarian guy is agent talk, trying to flog him.

My guess is it'll be a loan for a defender until Tarkowksi is a free agent, and only Lingard if possible, hopefully, until a striker is available in the summer.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

The one positive of Diop’s cratering form is it makes it very, very funny that Sullivan ran straight to his client journalists and loudly and categorically claimed he forced the signing through over the objections of others back when he was looking promising.

A companion piece to his pinning Arnautovic solely on Bilic during his early struggles before he became one of the best forwards in the league for a couple of years. Lovely stuff.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:12 pm We'll probably Look Back in Ongar...
Just wish we'd Epping get on with it and sign someone.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:33 am Just thinking Ogbonna was left footed but he never played left back for us even in an emergency as far as I can remember? I understand it’s great to have a left / right footed CB pairing but I don’t remember seeing our CBS ever as left backs or right backs… not since Winston Reid and Ian Pearce. There’s always been a Cresswell or a long line of dodgy right backs.
Thompkins, Georgee?
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:25 am So we are looking at the Turkish league to find a 'right player', seriously? Remember hot prospect Golkan Tore?

I'm somewhat bemused about the confidence behind Moyes 'right player' policy. Didn't work in the summer and so far it's not working now, potentially to the detriment of the club and players. Selling Haller in January and not August defies logic too, not to mention Hugill. A good manager, no doubt, but his 50% transfer success rate and dithering doesn't inspire imo.
Er... his policy seems to be working just fine. We are 4th. 50% transfer success rate? I can only think of Hughill as a proven failure. I share your frustration but your evidence is suspect.