January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by hammerman11 »

well we will find out in the next week or so. just hope we do get the players in we need.
surely they cant go with an injured dawson, erractic diop and a returning from a bad injury zouma ?
at left back we have a just back , slow cresswell and no other proper cover
CM see just two good players covered by an ageing noble. kral just doesnt play so send him back
CF sees a knackered antonio and no other striker !

buchannon 3m, diallo loan/10m, bayo 18m

fingers crossed
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Szalai's career has so far only gone in one direction. He is still young, has plenty of international experience.

Dawson 32, Ogbonna 34. For how long can we rely on them?
Is Diop at 25 someone we can trust game in-game out?
Alese or Baptiste played any games against PremLeague opponents?

It makes sense to bring in an up and coming defender aged 21-24
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

totally agree but does moyes ?
Hamburger
Has liked: 862 likes
Total likes: 445 likes

Post by Hamburger »

ChzMff wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:42 am Going by your logic about not signing players because of the league they play in we would not have signed Soucek or Coufal.

Why did his policy not work in the summer? He wasn't able to find all the players he wanted with the right quality, attitude or at the right price to improve us in some areas so he didn't go for inferior alternatives.

He has a far greater than 50% success rate which for a club like us is huge considering that the prices we shop at mean most players are a gamble. Thankfully we have a manager that calculates and makes that gamble as low risk as possible so we don't have our head in our hands watching some of the absolute ***** we have over the years, only to find them on the bench, on loan and draining resources.

As for the sale of Haller. Have you considered that nobody made any offers for him in August? Moyes is quoted as saying: "I think that the Seb Haller situation was simply that we got an offer, we didn't expect it, we weren't planning to lose Seb this window." It amazes me just how many people know the inner going ons at the club

Some people seem determined to sign players even if they add little or no value. I'd much rather keep a good squad dynamic and incentivise our young players.
The Bundesliga has had many successful Czech league players so can hardly compare with Turkey.

So let's have a look at Moyes 'right player' and upgrade transfer record -

2018 - Mario - non starter
Hugill - non starter
Evra - non starter
Randolph - non starter
2020 - Soucek - starter
Bowen - starter
Haksabanovic - non starter
Roberto - non starter
Coufal - starter
Dawson - starter because of injury
Benrahma - starter
2021 - Vlasic - non starter (yet)
Kral - non starter
Areola - non starter (yet)
Zouma - starter

I haven't included any U23s so I make that 8 non starters and 6 starters (generous with Dawson or it would be 9 to 5) so that makes it way more than 50% non starters. I wouldn't call that a resounding success.
Last edited by Hamburger on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3031 likes
Total likes: 2679 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 am The Bundesliga has had many successful Czech league players so can hardly compare with Turkey.

Hugill - non starter
Evra - non starter
Randolph - non starter
2020 - Soucek - starter
Bowen - starter
Roberto - non starter
Coufal - starter
Benrahma - starter
Kral - non starter
Zouma - starter

I haven't included any U23s so I make that 8 non starters and 6 starters (generous with Dawson) so that makes it more than 50% non starters. I wouldn't call that a resounding success.
I would call that a more than decent success rate bearing in mind, that he had to do the recruiting at a club that had no scouting intelligence for a while and he had to start from scratch/on his instincts instead of house intern knowledge.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Am I reading that wrongly or are you claiming Moyes signed Roberto?
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Mistake, he sold Roberto (end of loan), good spot.
Last edited by Hamburger on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Croydon »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 am The Bundesliga has had many successful Czech league players so can hardly compare with Turkey.

Hugill - non starter
Evra - non starter
Randolph - non starter
2020 - Soucek - starter
Bowen - starter
Roberto - non starter
Coufal - starter
Benrahma - starter
Kral - non starter
Zouma - starter

I haven't included any U23s so I make that 8 non starters and 6 starters (generous with Dawson or it would be 9 to 5) so that makes it way more than 50% non starters. I wouldn't call that a resounding success.
Roberto was a Pellegrini signing, no? Unfortunately he started too many games :crylol: - I think any West Ham manager would be unironically playing hot potato over who signed him.

I think context is important with the above list; one set of transfers is a manager trying to get experience/bodies in to stave of relegation, the other list is a manager who's building a team. Considering most of the "starters" have at least retained their value (most have increased), that looks like quite an achievement.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Roberto - non starter

Why have you got Roberto and Haksabanovic as Moyes signings?

Evra, Randolph, Dawson and Kral were all signed to cover injuries or as clear back ups. Not every signing is intended to replace someone in the first XI as much as some people would expect them to do so.

Moyes' first game back included Balbuena, Fredericks, Snodgrass, Noble, Haller and Anderson as starters and Roberto, Zabaleta, Sanchez and Ajeti on the bench. Regardless of some binary starter/not starter judgement of his transfer dealings (as usual massively restricted by awful owners) I would say rebuilding that squad and taking them to a point where they've sustained top 6 form for almost 2 seasons is very impressive.
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:55 am Why have you got Roberto and Haksabanovic as Moyes signings?

Evra, Randolph, Dawson and Kral were all signed to cover injuries or as clear back ups. Not every signing is intended to replace someone in the first XI as much as some people would expect them to do so.

Moyes' first game back included Balbuena, Fredericks, Snodgrass, Noble, Haller and Anderson as starters and Roberto, Zabaleta, Sanchez and Ajeti on the bench. Regardless of some binary starter/not starter judgement of his transfer dealings (as usual massively restricted by awful owners) I would say rebuilding that squad and taking them to a point where they've sustained top 6 form for almost 2 seasons is very impressive.
But therien lies the conundrum. Either he can sign back ups to cover injuries or he only signs upgrades or challengers. Which is it?
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:51 am Mistake, he sold Roberto (end of loan), good spot.
Not that I wouldn’t have enjoyed seeing the Highland Goebbels swing into action to defend what a great signing he was by Moyes.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3031 likes
Total likes: 2679 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:01 am But therien lies the conundrum. Either he can sign back ups to cover injuries or he only signs upgrades or challengers. Which is it?
Or he has transformed the whole club, several underperformers have come back to form, a Championship player in Bowen now looks like one of the best goalscoring wingers in the PL, players from a smaller league in Soucek and Coufal hit the ground running and the whole team has some sort of ethos that fits.

But hey ho, let's fabricate the idea, that he has done "meh" in terms of recruitment over the last two years, despite no help fro.m within the club.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

I note that a couple of places are saying that Tarkowski wants to stay at Burnley until the end of the season "out of loyalty". Good on him. And hopefully that's that for us.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I literally do not trust a single transfer rumour that gets published about us these days.

We're an absolute closed shop when it comes to leaks.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

steveyrockstar wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:17 am I literally do not trust a single transfer rumour that gets published about us these days.

We're an absolute closed shop when it comes to leaks.
Great isn't it?
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

This stuff I keep seeing on Twitter about resigning Carroll - it’s a joke, right? Some sort of meme or whatever, surely?
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:13 am Or he has transformed the whole club, several underperformers have come back to form, a Championship player in Bowen now looks like one of the best goalscoring wingers in the PL, players from a smaller league in Soucek and Coufal hit the ground running and the whole team has some sort of ethos that fits.

But hey ho, let's fabricate the idea, that he has done "meh" in terms of recruitment over the last two years, despite no help fro.m within the club.
As I said in my original post, Moyes has done a great job and I was just voicing my doubt about his transfer policy, nothing else. If it's waiting for all the right players or upgrades then clearly not every signing has been successful. However if he has bought back up quality injury cover in the past (and very successfully with Dawson), why not now?
Last edited by Hamburger on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:44 am So let's have a look at Moyes 'right player' and upgrade transfer record -

Hugill - non starter
Evra - non starter
Randolph - non starter
2020 - Soucek - starter
Bowen - starter
Roberto - non starter
Coufal - starter
Benrahma - starter
Kral - non starter
Zouma - starter

A bizarre list.

Success and starter not mutually exclusive, let alone the ones that aren’t even his signings.

Hugill and Evra the only bad signings there. Undeniably.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Haksabanovic wasn't a Moyes signing, signed for us in the summer of 2017 under Bilic. Supposedly a sweetener in the Arnautovic deal or something, I can't remember exactly.

Regardless of whether every signing Moyes has made is a success (no manager has a 100% record in the transfer market, anyway) the thing is that right now we clearly need a player, maybe two, to get us through to the end of the season at the very least.

Looking for a goal at the weekend we turned to a 17 year old with 99 minutes of first team football in their career.

That said, more than anything, our concern has to be defensively. We've scored two or more goals in each of our last five games, but we can't stop conceding. In part, the issue is that our midfield is much weaker without Soucek (and why Kral isn't coming in there I don't know) so teams can get through us. But more over the issue is also that both of our first choice centre backs are out and it shows. I like Diop, I like Dawson, but without one of Ogbonna or Zouma alongside them we are significantly weaker at the back.

Zouma returning will be a huge boost, but with Ogbonna out until summer we have to look for a central defensive upgrade on Dawson and Diop. If we're willing to accept an experienced stopgap, we could loan them for the rest of the season without an option. If we'd rather look for a long-term Zouma partner that replaced Ogbonna, we need someone who we can at least get an option to sign permanently in the summer, and if not sign them permanently in this window.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

The obvious thing is we’re doing the usual of trying to go cheap. Maybe moyes has been told loans only that window.