What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2382 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Morocco Mole »

smuts wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:06 pm It's because Lennon was smacked off his tits when they regathered together...
Said that to the missus. :newthumb:
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

A could of Amazon Films.

Wrath of Man (2021) - Decent if pretty generic violent thriller with Jason Stratham. I've seen far worse but it is never going to win any awards.

Protégé (2021) - Star cast for another Amazon Prime film. It is ok but again nothing great. Samuel L Jackson paying the bills (as he has done a lot lately - Hitmans Body Guard pair and Red Notice spring to mind).

4 hours spent with forgettable, but watchable films.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Watched the first episode of Archive 81 on Netflix. Very promising. :newthumb:

EDIT: I know this has already been discussed but I've got a vote here for merging this thread with the Netflix/Amazon one.....
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

I have been watching The End of the ****ing World on Netflix. Thoroughly enjoyable dark humour that is only 20 minutes per episode.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 am Watched the first episode of Archive 81 on Netflix. Very promising. :newthumb:

EDIT: I know this has already been discussed but I've got a vote here for merging this thread with the Netflix/Amazon one.....
Not seen the aforementioned Archive 81 , but +1 for merging the two threads.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Watched ep2 of the Green Planet.

Worth the licence fee all on its own this show.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 am EDIT: I know this has already been discussed but I've got a vote here for merging this thread with the Netflix/Amazon one.....
Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:23 pm +1 for merging the two threads.
I mean it's no skin off of my nose really whether we merge them or not but, last time I put this to our M,F&TV patrons, there were at least as many arguing for the threads to stay separate as there were folk arguing for a merge. And tbh, there weren't that many people arguing either way. I'd need a significant number of regular contributors offering a persuasive and popular case for merging in order for me look at it again and actually do it anytime soon. Sorry, lovelies. That's democracy at work. Vote Leave, Strong and Stable, Get Brexit Done, Chaos With Ed Milliband, Once In a Lifetime, Call Me Dave, You Lost Get Over It etc. :)

Of course, you could always appeal to one of the other mods, most of whom couldn't care less what's going on in here and would probably do it in the blink of an eye without any additional hubbub or brouhaha. That would work, too! :D
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'd merge em.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

More hubbub please. Definitely more brouhaha.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Different strokes and all that, so whilst I'm not keen on Ricky Gervais the bloke, I do tend to like what he does. We're half way through the third series of After Life and whilst it's nowhere near as good as the other two, both of which though were pretty sublime, it's still OK and we'll see it to through to the end. I think the first two series deserve that.

Winter Watch back tonight I think. A little bit of Rick Stein's Cornwall on beforehand - that's the evening sorted. Yes, I'm that old and boring :)
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

There is a lot of duplication between the 2 threads.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

One says Amazon & Netfilx, the other what did you watch etc, it's not exactly rocket science to work out where to post you bum snifflers..

I don't actually care, but I was called a bum sniffler earlier and I wanted to use it.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm One says Amazon & Netfilx, the other what did you watch etc, it's not exactly rocket science to work out where to post you bum snifflers..

I don't actually care, but I was called a bum sniffler earlier and I wanted to use it.
Is that someone with a cold who sniffs bums?
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

I’m gonna post Netflix/Amazon stuff in here anyway just to be a dickhead.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 796 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Interesting to hear people's thoughts on Ricky Gervais.

I have a strange relationship with him. When I first saw The Office, I thought it was just fantastic, and I also laughed like I've rarely laughed before listening to that really early podcast he did with Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington, back when I was commuting to work in Korea. And only last year, I really enjoyed the short podcast series he made with the neuroscientist and philosopher, Sam Harris, the regrettably titled Absolutely Mental. But at other points, I've found his stuff just the absolute pits. I generally dislike stand-up, but what I've seen of his shows is just in really bad taste, and I think he's badly mistaken on the line between being a provocateur and being a twat. Rewinding a bit, Extras was quite entertaining without having the special factor that The Office had had, but I think it was possibly Life's Too Short, and then definitely Derek, that made me realise that Ricky and I were going to have to go our separate ways. I just can't get on board with his comedic targets, the punching down that has already been mentioned, and just the fact that they're not very funny.

And yet, for all that I disliked those programmes, there is still something about the bloke that draws me in. With After Life, I watched the whole of the first series and thought it was a mixed bag. Some of the stuff about loss, bereavement and grief was very interesting, and some of the supporting cast, especially Diane Morgan and Penelope Wilton, were great. But there were also things I hated about it and they've just grown and grown over subsequent series, while the good bits have become repetetive and less interesting. I won't go into details, but I've just watched the last series literally fast forwarding over every scene not involving Gervais himself, so painfully crass and offensive were they (Davis Earl's Brian and Joe Wilkinson's Postman characters being the nadir). There are still lovely moments, and Gervais' acting I find to be actually quite good. But the writing has run out of ideas and is cringeworthily off-colour at times.

It's a strange one, hard to think of someone in TV/comedy who has given me such pleasure but also done so much that I can't stand.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

On the subject of merging, can we just have one RIP thread? At least 5 on page one.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:37 pm On the subject of merging, can we just have one RIP thread? At least 5 on page one.
Likewise, why have a new match thread every game, one massive thread will do :newthumb:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm One says Amazon & Netfilx, the other what did you watch etc, it's not exactly rocket science to work out where to post you bum snifflers..

I vote we rename the thread to "What did you watch last night that definitely wasn't on Amazon or Prime?"

I also think we should have a few extra threads:

What did you watch yesterday afternoon that definitely wasn't on Amazon or Prime?
What did you watch this afternoon that definitely wasn't on Amazon or Prime?
What did you watch yesterday morning that definitely wasn't on Amazon or Prime?
What did you watch this morning that definitely wasn't on Amazon or Prime?

Also, why should Amazon and Netflix get their own thread but HBO, Disney, and Apple don't? What about a Sky thread?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Seriously though... I don't really see the purpose of the two threads. There's no reason why you can't recommend something you've watched on Netflix on this thread.

If we need a split then it would be much better to split on films and TV programmes.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

How about a What are you going to watch tonight thread?

And a What are you going to watch tomorrow night thread, etc.