Michail Antonio: club legend?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Re: Michail Antonio: club legend?

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:11 pm

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:45 pm
You've looked at the avatar and not the poster :lol:.
:oops:

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 79 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:25 pm

For me it's a question of time/era played in plus the club's position/outlook....legends to me should show strength in values as much as on the field successes. Loyalty, commitment and hard work are as valuable to a club as loads of goals

Estuary
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 pm

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:25 pm
For me it's a question of time/era played in plus the club's position/outlook....legends to me should show strength in values as much as on the field successes. Loyalty, commitment and hard work are as valuable to a club as loads of goals
Good afternoon Mr Potts!

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 390 likes

Post by last.caress » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:30 pm

Legendary people need to be having their exploits recounted with awe and reverie many years after the fact, either by or at least to people who couldn't possibly have been there to bear witness to those exploits because they were too young/not even born yet. So, eye-witness accounts become stories, which then pass into legend. If, in a couple of decades' time, those of us still alive are saying of some new striker, "Yeah, he's alright, but he's no Michail Antonio. Now there was a player...", and some young supporters are listening to us and saying, Yeah, Michail Antonio! I've always heard how brilliant he was, it must've been really something to have seen him." Then, THEN, he'll be a legend.

IMO, like.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 550 likes

Post by Up the Junction » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:30 pm

Frank Lampard Snr.

West Ham Utd legend, yes or no?

sendô
Has liked: 753 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by sendô » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:31 pm

Will we be talking about him regularly as one of our best of an era in 20 or 30 years time?

If the answer is yes then he is a legend, regardless of if people think other players we've had in the past were better or not.

GaryP
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by GaryP » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:41 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:30 pm
Frank Lampard Snr.

Without a doubt, as is Steve Potts and Malcolm Allison.

EDIT: I posted Potts without even seeing the discussion directly above me !
Last edited by GaryP on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:42 pm

Estuary wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 pm
Good afternoon Mr Potts!
:thup:

Estuary
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:49 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Frank Lampard Snr.

100%.

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 387 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by bonzosbeard » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:52 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Frank Lampard Snr.

Absolutely for me, but he was in first team I watched.

And Elland Rd.......

stu1
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by stu1 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Given many seem to believe Frank Lampard Sr is a legend is it not surprising how badly Frank Lampard Jnr was treated during the infancy of his career, or that we continue to sing a song about him despite his retirement a number of years ago.

If I was FL Snr I'd be pretty pissed off with our fan base and feel far from a legend at the club.

James P
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by James P » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Nepotism is a bad thing. Jr was rightly judged on his own merits and behaviours. Whether or not anyone things how our fans acted towards him is correct or not, who his father was should have no bearing on it.

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 387 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by bonzosbeard » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:33 pm

last.caress wrote:
Legendary people need to be having their exploits recounted with awe and reverie many years after the fact, either by or at least to people who couldn't possibly have been there to bear witness to those exploits because they were too young/not even born yet. So, eye-witness accounts become stories, which then pass into legend. If, in a couple of decades' time, those of us still alive are saying of some new striker, "Yeah, he's alright, but he's no Michail Antonio. Now there was a player...", and some young supporters are listening to us and saying, Yeah, Michail Antonio! I've always heard how brilliant he was, it must've been really something to have seen him." Then, THEN, he'll be a legend.

IMO, like.
Maybe there should be a different word to describe certain players who did not ha e the highest skills of some but really left their mark on our affection for them.

Carlton Cole, Antonio and John Moncur are amongst these. Just giving legend to our technically most gifted doesn't always cut it. I totally understand where you are coming from LC. It's just not quite so black and white.

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:43 pm

God love him, but Michail Antonio is not someone we'll be telling our children about in 30 years. A legend is a story. A legend is conjuring up the memories of what that person was or did.

He's a bit of a cult figure. He's admired or cheered on because he's influential to a team trying to achieve something (not necessarily measured by winning a trophy). If we achieve something special, and if he plays a major part, then sure he might be spoken about for decades to come and become a legend.

There's a reason we talk about Moore, Hurst, Peters, Brooking, Bonds. There will also be a reason we talk about Noble, his entire career at this club is that achievement worthy of telling people about that won't have seen it happen.

Someone like Di Canio became a West Ham legend because of that very reason, he did things you want to tell people about who hadn't seen him live. That makes the name of Di Canio a legend. I'd imagine we'll do the same about Payet in 10-15 years.

Again, at the moment, with the greatest respect to Antonio, he's not done anything special for us yet - despite the goals.

All in my opinion of course.

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:44 pm

last.caress wrote:

IMO, like.
I probably should have read other people's posts before mine, this is a more enjoyable way of saying what I tried to say.

psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:44 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Frank Lampard Snr.

On and Off the field - he turned up at an old boys reunion dinner thing which was put on by a player who had fallen on hard times and refused to take his payment for attending (which I seem to recall was about a grand) - he knew the fella needed it more than him

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 390 likes

Post by last.caress » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:47 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:33 pm
Maybe there should be a different word to describe certain players who did not ha e the highest skills of some but really left their mark on our affection for them.

Carlton Cole, Antonio and John Moncur are amongst these.
Wouldn't these fall under "cult" status?

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:48 pm

stu1 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 pm
Given many seem to believe Frank Lampard Sr is a legend is it not surprising how badly Frank Lampard Jnr was treated during the infancy of his career, or that we continue to sing a song about him despite his retirement a number of years ago.

If I was FL Snr I'd be pretty pissed off with our fan base and feel far from a legend at the club.
I’ve thought the same for a long time.

Ozza
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Ozza » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Maybe legend is as simple as how many times you've turned out for the club, i'd class all of our top appearance players as legends

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:56 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:43 pm
There's a reason we talk about Moore, Hurst, Peters, Brooking, Bonds. There will also be a reason we talk about Noble, his entire career at this club is that achievement worthy of telling people about that won't have seen it happen.

Someone like Di Canio became a West Ham legend because of that very reason, he did things you want to tell people about who hadn't seen him live. That makes the name of Di Canio a legend. I'd imagine we'll do the same about Payet in 10-15 years.

All in my opinion of course.
See opinions....I don't see Di Canio, Payet or Tevez as legends....gifted players definitely, fan favourites yes, cult figures probably but showed no real commitment to the club and had no endearing qualities I feel mark them out so no as legends for me