January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:01 pm I dunno. For me the biggest issue was the dreadful defence. We never lose that game with Oggy and Zouma at the back. Hell, even just Zouma would have made the difference I reckon.
Of course we will never know for sure, but we could just as easily lost that with Zouma and Ogbonna. We lost to Brentford with that pairing and `both Soucek and Rice were playing then

Having a centre midfield shield of Lanzini and a rampaging Rice is going to provide problems for any defence

It doesn#t bother me much because i prefer the more attacking line ups, even if it does mean our defence is left up **** creek!
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Chippenhammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:20 pm Apparently if Kral plays a certain amount of games it triggers an automatic purchase. I have no idea how many, but I get the feeling that those will be mainly cup games now as Moyes isn't convinced. Maybe Sullivan got a ridiculously low amount of games.
He’ll probably end up going back to Spartak Moscow will our poodle-haired enforcer.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:07 pm Allegedly Diop was shagging Bats in Wuhan, late 2019..

Just saying..
“Wuhan bats ain’t nothin to f*** with” - Dr. Fauci, probably
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by SiO »

jastons wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:38 pm We might have won on Sunday if he only missed one ball....
Massively underrated this one Jaston's :clap:
Last edited by SiO on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 pm Of course, but it was a cracking match we should have gotten something out of. He made early substitutions, changed the shape and even gave a youngster a runout. There is no point in letting unreasonable expectations taking our focus away from the more serious business of overhauling the squad for long-term success.
Small gripe here Squire
The word “ gotten “ makes my urine boil

.. as you were 🍺
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

paulhs1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 pm Kral is clearly not good enough or he probably would have started the game let alone come in as a sub.
Lanzini had worked there the game before, played pretty well dropping deep in the cup and you'd think was press resistant. Playing him made some sense, it just didnt work.

Considering the changes were so far from what we needed, I think the manager was looking to change things in attack and didn't look at the emphasis in the other direction, so I don't think this game writes him off completely.

It seems to me the intention was him to be fourth choice and develop with time, but the Covid thing has hurt that a lot. He's probably a month behind Vlasic - as a comparison to bedding a signing in - because of that, let alone it being his first time over here and a role it's harder to get minutes in with this team.

I see no need for the boom or bust about him.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I must say the criticism of Diop is a bit over the top. He played much better recently. The team did well. Had a stinker at the weekend. Now it appears he needs to be shipped out and replaced immediately. He deserves another chance alongside Zouma in my opinion.

People have been very patient with other players but not Diop it appears.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Wilko1304

I just cant see how he fits in now. Soucek out and not even a sniff. Then against Norwich at 2-0 he could have come in to shore things up, but no. Again not even a few minutes against Leeds in the cup or Palace.

It's almost as though Moyes doesn't trust him to do a job, yet he thought 18 year old Perkins could!

It's a matter of when not if for me for me
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

paulhs1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 pm It's almost as though Moyes doesn't trust him to do a job, yet he thought 18 year old Perkins could! It's a matter of when not if for me for me
Did he? Or did he have nothing else and threw on a youngster in hope? Not sure the two relate
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm I must say the criticism of Diop is a bit over the top. He played much better recently. The team did well. Had a stinker at the weekend. Now it appears he needs to be shipped out and replaced immediately. He deserves another chance alongside Zouma in my opinion.

Its been 3 and a half years. He is not better than when he first arrived. Ok games mixed in with down right rank ones. Same mistake time after time. There is patience and then there is blind faith something might change if you wish hard enough.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

honkytonk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:14 pm I get where you are coming from, but tbh I dont think its unreasonable to expect us to beat Leeds at the moment!!! That game was there for the taking on Sunday. We had a huge issue in the midfield, and despite the subs Moyes didnt react to it. Im just surprised that he/the coaching set up could not see it (or if they did, did not change it). Im not gonna get all doom and gloom about it but that could be a costly 3 points dropped for us.
True, but I think you underestimate the effect of a full week's rest versus our three-four days.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

JLCABA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:36 pm Small gripe here Squire

.. as you were 🍺
Hanging around with too many yanks :lol: :lol:
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm I must say the criticism of Diop is a bit over the top. He played much better recently. The team did well. Had a stinker at the weekend. Now it appears he needs to be shipped out and replaced immediately. He deserves another chance alongside Zouma in my opinion.

Completely agree. The idea that he was solely to blame for us losing against Leeds is absurd.

We all know he's far from perfect, but he's our 4th-choice CB and on Sunday was playing in a line-up with one lightweight CM who can't tackle in front of him and another who spent the whole game rampaging forward.

Cresswell ****ed up for the first goal, Coufal for the second, and Vlasic for the third. Dawson and Bowen both missed open goals from two yards out, but somehow Diop is the only player at fault in a lot of people's eyes.

I suspect he'll be gone in the summer regardless, but no doubt there'll be another goat for scaping chosen to replace him.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

JLCABA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:36 pm Small gripe here Squire

.. as you were 🍺
Me too 😤
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

paulhs1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 pm Wilko1304

I just cant see how he fits in now. Soucek out and not even a sniff. Then against Norwich at 2-0 he could have come in to shore things up, but no. Again not even a few minutes against Leeds in the cup or Palace.

It's almost as though Moyes doesn't trust him to do a job, yet he thought 18 year old Perkins could!

It's a matter of when not if for me for me
Did we need to “shore things up” v Norwich? Giving them the momentum in the game was the only way they might get back in it.

As for Leeds the die was cast when he decided to start Lanzini ahead of Kral, after the first goal we were always chasing the game even after we equalised because they scored again so quickly after. For me this was mainly down to them having a plan to get at our defence that worked a treat especially when those defenders were not at the top of their game. We needed subs who might do something at the top end of the pitch not try to prevent the already incurred damage getting worse.

Is Kral right long term, having read so much for months about how good he was, how perfect for us, how we should be paying whatever it takes to get him etc I was eager to see him play in the summer. He was a huge disappointment then. He is not a bad player but way short of Rice/Soucek. I could see a role as cheap squad cover but will he be cheap both fee and wages wise? For me he has shown nothing yet that Coventry could not have provided probably at half the cost. The fact we have let him go on loan suggests though we are keeping Kral at least short term.

People have pleaded patience with Diop after 3 and a half years so to be fair Kral does deserve more than 5 months.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:54 pm Completely agree. The idea that he was solely to blame for us losing against Leeds is absurd.

We all know he's far from perfect, but he's our 4th-choice CB and on Sunday was playing in a line-up with one lightweight CM who can't tackle in front of him and another who spent the whole game rampaging forward.

Cresswell ****ed up for the first goal, Coufal for the second, and Vlasic for the third. Dawson and Bowen both missed open goals from two yards out, but somehow Diop is the only player at fault in a lot of people's eyes.

I suspect he'll be gone in the summer regardless, but no doubt there'll be another goat for scaping chosen to replace him.
Thing is, playing with Diop drags Dawson's level down. In fact, playing with Diop tends to make the rest of the backline less confident as they never know when he is going to throw in a clanger. Reminds me of Konterman at Rangers. He could play well and then just drop an absolute bollock from nowhere.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 pm Thing is, playing with Diop drags Dawson's level down. In fact, playing with Diop tends to make the rest of the backline less confident as they never know when he is going to throw in a clanger. Reminds me of Konterman at Rangers. He could play well and then just drop an absolute bollock from nowhere.
Genuinely think that, aside from the extraordinary purple patch when he first joined, Dawson is just as prone to a clanger as Diop, if not more so. People just forgive it more as Dawson also charges around throwing himself into challenges.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 pm Of course, but it was a cracking match we should have gotten something out of. He made early substitutions, changed the shape and even gave a youngster a runout. There is no point in letting unreasonable expectations taking our focus away from the more serious business of overhauling the squad for long-term success.
It was a cracking game for a neutral fan. But in the ground is was shocking to watch and so obvious that the midfield wasn’t functioning.
Moyes made changes but they didn’t address the problem in midfield. Kral was the player available that should of started or at least come on.
Sorry going off topic.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:17 pm Genuinely think that, aside from the extraordinary purple patch when he first joined, Dawson is just as prone to a clanger as Diop, if not more so. People just forgive it more as Dawson also charges around throwing himself into challenges.
It's because you get a lot more good from him to cover it. Dawson makes errors, that slide tackle on James that left him on the floor as they passed around him is one, but you get great defending in the box. Diop doesnt offer a lot of good to make up for all the bad.
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

How patient does one have to be, I would have thought 2+ years is enough myself to make a judgement. Can’t build a team forever ignoring long evidenced realities. We all know he’s only here because of covid distractions, other team priorities, budget and Moyes slow cooker attitude to transfers.