January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm I must say the criticism of Diop is a bit over the top. He played much better recently. The team did well. Had a stinker at the weekend. Now it appears he needs to be shipped out and replaced immediately. He deserves another chance alongside Zouma in my opinion.

People have been very patient with other players but not Diop it appears.
Have to agree.
He is so low on confidence and the crowd getting in his back doesn’t help.
Had another look at the goals from Sunday, I can’t fault him for any of them. 1st is on Cresswell getting skinned by Rafinha, 2nd - Dawson missed header, 3rd midfielder (Lanzini) poor control to lose possession and then a run in to the box.
Positioning and passing at times was poor but he wasn’t the only one, especially in defence.
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:54 pm Completely agree. The idea that he was solely to blame for us losing against Leeds is absurd.

We all know he's far from perfect, but he's our 4th-choice CB and on Sunday was playing in a line-up with one lightweight CM who can't tackle in front of him and another who spent the whole game rampaging forward.

Cresswell ****ed up for the first goal, Coufal for the second, and Vlasic for the third. Dawson and Bowen both missed open goals from two yards out, but somehow Diop is the only player at fault in a lot of people's eyes.

I suspect he'll be gone in the summer regardless, but no doubt there'll be another goat for scaping chosen to replace him.
Seems to me he’s not the only one getting stick but it has to be pointed out on a forum that he simply isn’t good enough just a fact of life, even if rightly you can make excuses on Sunday because of the awful efforts of others. But it’s based on a number of games not just one and who else has been so consistently below average, 4th choice or not (and there’s a reason for that) you can only judge on what you see.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 pm Thing is, playing with Diop drags Dawson's level down. In fact, playing with Diop tends to make the rest of the backline less confident as they never know when he is going to throw in a clanger. Reminds me of Konterman at Rangers. He could play well and then just drop an absolute bollock from nowhere.
Diop’s bad, horrendous actually but Dawson isn’t far behind. He has to take some of the blame being part of this atrocious defence. One of the main reason we have to defend so much when Dawson plays is because he is hopeless with the ball and turns it over to the opposition so much.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

e20too wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:47 pm Seems to me he’s not the only one getting stick but it has to be pointed out on a forum that he simply isn’t good enough just a fact of life, even if rightly you can make excuses on Sunday because of the awful efforts of others. But it’s based on a number of games not just one and who else has been so consistently below average, 4th choice or not (and there’s a reason for that) you can only judge on what you see.
To be frank, it's comments like "Last Sunday was all about the terrible display of Diop" which I object to.

We play poorly all over the park, deservedly lose due to a litany of individual mistakes, tactical errors, and poor performances, and people still want to make it about a single player. It's the stuff of playground bullies.

Anyway, to make this relevant to the transfer thread - are all of our problems going to be solved when Diop gets replaced and upgraded? No, of course they're not, so it's just as artificial to claim he's solely to blame when the whole team underperforms.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Lovejoy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:54 pm Diop’s bad, horrendous actually but Dawson isn’t far behind. He has to take some of the blame being part of this atrocious defence. One of the main reason we have to defend so much when Dawson plays is because he is hopeless with the ball and turns it over to the opposition so much.
Can't say I agree. Dawson is solid next to a good partner.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

In hindsight out result against Leeds shouldn't have been a surprise.

Our home record against teams who finished bottom 12 last season or were promoted has been shocking all season. We have 5 points from 18 with our only win coming against Norwich. That is absolutely terrible. Strangely our home record against the top 8 from last season is excellent with 12 points from 15.

Points % at home against bottom 12 = 27.78%
Points % at home against top 8 = 80.00%
Points % at home in total = 51.51%

:eh:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 pm To be frank, it's comments like "Last Sunday was all about the terrible display of Diop" which I object to.

We play poorly all over the park, deservedly lose due to a litany of individual mistakes, tactical errors, and poor performances, and people still want to make it about a single player. It's the stuff of playground bullies.

Anyway, to make this relevant to the transfer thread - are all of our problems going to be solved when Diop gets replaced and upgraded? No, of course they're not, so it's just as artificial to claim he's solely to blame when the whole team underperforms.
Thing is, had Diop not second guessed himself and pulled out of challenging the Leeds player we wouldn't have conceded the third. He also got let off big time for their fourth, which was ruled offside through sheer luck.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

I'm not a fan of Diop but I thought he was the best of a bad back four against Leeds.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 pm Thing is, had Diop not second guessed himself and pulled out of challenging the Leeds player we wouldn't have conceded the third. He also got let off big time for their fourth, which was ruled offside through sheer luck.
Sure.

But that's very, very different to suggesting Issa Diop was the only reason we lost the game, or that it was one of the worst performances by a West Ham player in 40 years, both of which have been posted on here in the last two days (the first one more than once).
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Getting back to transfers….I would take Christian Erickson over Lingard in an instant. Perfect player for us, a proper play maker which we have been missing recently.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Pentonville wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:31 pm Getting back to transfers….I would take Christian Erickson over Lingard in an instant. Perfect player for us, a proper play maker which we have been missing recently.
Not for me.

What made Lingard so effective for us, was his pace.

Eriksen is/was a great player, but he's never been quick off the mark, plus we have a good selection of playmakers.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Lingard is perfect for our normal counter attacking game, however Lingard is far less effective against teams that are sitting back and not allowing us to play that game. On those occasions Eriksen would probably be better. I'd still choose Lingard out of the two of them though.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:37 pm Not for me.

Eriksen is/was a great player, but he's never been quick off the mark, plus we have a good selection of playmakers.
Yup, playmaker is hardly a priority
Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Joffrey »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:37 pm Not for me.

Eriksen is/was a great player, but he's never been quick off the mark, plus we have a good selection of pacemakers
Could tempt Eriksen
Felixstowesfinest
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Felixstowesfinest »

A striker as in a proper cf should be the very minimum of which we need to bring in
If we don’t we all know where we’re gonna end up
A club like us doesn’t get many chances to be a champions league team and we really do have it in our grasp this year
With a few additions ( yeah a cb and lb are needed) we can push on and make Declan think we’re worth staying for
It shouldn’t but it would astound me if the board don’t see what we see and have the same ambitions
Splash the cash get us to the promised land and when they sell up they can demand a little more because we have that stature
If not then it’ll be Groundhog Day forever more
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 pm Sure.

But that's very, very different to suggesting Issa Diop was the only reason we lost the game, or that it was one of the worst performances by a West Ham player in 40 years, both of which have been posted on here in the last two days (the first one more than once).
I don’t think anyone thinks that, just that we wouldn’t have lost with Zouma playing. There was plenty of bad play to go around.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Pentonville wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:31 pm Getting back to transfers….I would take Christian Erickson over Lingard in an instant. Perfect player for us, a proper play maker which we have been missing recently.
Unfortunately Ericksen needs to come to terms with the possibility that he can never play again.

Its very rare that a top level sportsman has a heart attack mid match then goes on to play competitive sport again.
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

I am assuming Metal’s and S-H’s comments about playmakers not being a priority were a come-on, so who are our in form playmakers ? I would normally say Fornals, but for whatever reason that side of his game seems to have fallen by the wayside in recent weeks.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Anyone who wants Eriksen hasn't seen him play in the last three years let alone the awful events last summer
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Pentonville wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:59 pm I am assuming Metal’s and S-H’s comments about playmakers not being a priority were a come-on, so who are our in form playmakers ? I would normally say Fornals, but for whatever reason that side of his game seems to have fallen by the wayside in recent weeks.
Who mentioned form?

And what will a player who hasn't played since suffering a cardiac arrest, be able to offer us?