The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i remember seeing nish kumar before he hit it big at a free comedy night at the rich mix in shoreditch. the headliner was tim key who was outstanding and continues to be the best stand up in the country for my money, and there were about 4 or 5 others, all touring comedians refining their material.

even infront of a shoreditch crowd, nish kumar utterly cratered. this was pre-brexit/trump so maybe his brand of humourless nasal whining hadn't quite found its audience yet, but given that it was an extremely forgiving crowd that was quite the achievement.

should've known he was the one comedian on the lineup who would eventually be given their own BBC series.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 pm should've known he was the one comedian on the lineup who would eventually be given their own BBC series.
Did he tick certain boxes that the others didn't?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm Did he tick certain boxes that the others didn't?
Yep, "Unfunny ****"
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 pm i remember seeing nish kumar before he hit it big at a free comedy night at the rich mix in shoreditch. the headliner was tim key who was outstanding and continues to be the best stand up in the country for my money, and there were about 4 or 5 others, all touring comedians refining their material.

even infront of a shoreditch crowd, nish kumar utterly cratered. this was pre-brexit/trump so maybe his brand of humourless nasal whining hadn't quite found its audience yet, but given that it was an extremely forgiving crowd that was quite the achievement.

should've known he was the one comedian on the lineup who would eventually be given their own BBC series.
Tim Key’s Late Night Poetry Show on BBC Radio 4 was brilliant and is still available on BBC sounds if you haven’t heard it.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Why isn't it a box ticking exercise when a white person you don't think is funny gets a BBC show?
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:26 pm Why isn't it a box ticking exercise when a white person you don't think is funny gets a BBC show?
It is, but it's a different box.

"We need someone desperately unfunny to front a crappy game show".
" What show is it"?
" Something called The Wheel".
" Better make it a white dude, that's so crap we don't want to be accused of racism or sexism"
"Michael McIntyre it is then".

As for the licence fee and BBC funding? How about binning it altogether but putting a levy on all the other broadcasters and streaming services*, the money raised then goes to the government, which in turn goes to the The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport who then run their own broadcasting service. Being as it will be British, it will broadcast stuff and be run as a corporation then they could call it something like The Corporation of British Broadcasting
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:26 pm Why isn't it a box ticking exercise when a white person you don't think is funny gets a BBC show?
Michael McIntyre - tick
Sarah Milligan - tick
Lee Mac - tick
Jack Whitehall - tick
Russell Howard - tick
Alan Carr - tick

In fairness to Alan Carr I saw him donkey's years ago on the circuit when he was the compere. He was sidesplittingly funny, as are most comedians until they go mainstream. As soon as they hit TV they turn to *****.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:06 pm Michael McIntyre - tick
Sarah Milligan - tick
Lee Mac - tick
Jack Whitehall - tick
Russell Howard - tick
Alan Carr - tick

In fairness to Alan Carr I saw him donkey's years ago on the circuit when he was the compere. He was sidesplittingly funny, as are most comedians until they go mainstream. As soon as they hit TV they turn to *****.
Yep, once they hit the big bucks they lose the hunger and think they don't have to prove anything. A lot of bands like that too. And Dele Alli.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:17 pm Yep, once they hit the big bucks they lose the hunger and think they don't have to prove anything. A lot of bands like that too. And Dele Alli.
Bravo!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Who says it isn't?
Danny's Dyer Acting

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:40 pm Who says it isn't?
Fair point. Usually happens to women regardless of colour as well.

Is anyone suggesting that when Corden and his mate made a **** sketch show there were shouts that they only got the gig because someone at the BBC was trying to tick some boxes?
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:11 pm Fair point. Usually happens to women regardless of colour as well.

Is anyone suggesting that when Corden and his mate made a **** sketch show there were shouts that they only got the gig because someone at the BBC was trying to tick some boxes?
Yeah under the "Unfunny Mockney" protected characteristic.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 pm

Reminds me of Ben Elton in the 80's

Wrote some great comedy but his stand-up that incorporated his own Beeb show was terrible.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Yougov have found that only 5% of under 30s watch any “live” content on the Beeb. Make of that what you will, but that’s a demographic time bomb if ever there was one. They ought to bring back Top Of The Pops and Tomorrow’s World and make fewer shows about antiques.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 am Yougov have found that only 5% of under 30s watch any “live” content on the Beeb. Make of that what you will, but that’s a demographic time bomb if ever there was one. They ought to bring back Top Of The Pops and Tomorrow’s World and make fewer shows about antiques.
Possibly. Too early to tell as media trends have changed beyond all recognition in the past decade. But I wonder whether the youth demographic has always been the lost demographic when it comes to tv audiences. From my own personal experience, the period when I watched considerably less TV than now was between 16 & 30. Other more interesting things are instantly available to you then.
I wonder whether it’s a bit like politics in that once you get responsibilities and aren’t able to go out, your perspectives change. So it does make you wonder why TV execs put so much budget aside for crap youth TV when their core audience won’t be watching it and the audience it’s designed to appeal to are not even watching TV anyway. It’s a bit like going to a live gig of a classic act and they spend the 1st half playing the new album? No one’s listening !!!
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 am Yougov have found that only 5% of under 30s watch any “live” content on the Beeb. Make of that what you will, but that’s a demographic time bomb if ever there was one. They ought to bring back Top Of The Pops and Tomorrow’s World and make fewer shows about antiques.
But as they get older they'll watch Monty Don, Antiques roadshow and Escape to the Country. We all start hip and trendy and slowly become old farts.

Yes I'm speaking for myself.
Danny's Dyer Acting

According to that link Eton shared, 7% of households that should have a TV licence don't have one.

Surely if this is such an antiquated and hated system then that number would be far higher with refuseniks and people that genuinely didn't need one?
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Yougov aka “What do you want it to say guv?” Said 85% of us wanted to leave the Boleyn
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Between 17 and 30 I watched very little tv because I waa always out and enjoying myself.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 am According to that link Eton shared, 7% of households that should have a TV licence don't have one.

Surely if this is such an antiquated and hated system then that number would be far higher with refuseniks and people that genuinely didn't need one?
Either that or it’s been an unchallenged perception that not to have one will result in doorstep harassment followed by prosecution.