Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (22/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm Lingard plays and scores before moving to Newcastle and sending a few on here crazy.
He's a player , in both senses of the word.
Putting the West Ham post on Instagram recently was just a cynical move by him to keep his name in the media and relevant. I don't know if the Lingard lovers who were out in force when he made that post will still be loving him if/when he doesn't join.
No chance he joins us.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:30 pm He's a player , in both senses of the word.
Putting the West Ham post on Instagram recently was just a cynical move by him to keep his name in the media and relevant. I don't know if the Lingard lovers who were out in force when he made that post will still be loving him if/when he doesn't join.
No chance he joins us.
I have conflicting views, about his potential return.

The over-riding one is that lightning wouldn't strike twice. His turn with us last time was sensationally good. Perhaps unrepeatable.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

it's forgotten that his time here also was extremely lopsided and for the second half he was largely ineffective, but never substituted or dropped in spite of it.
Turtlecharityracer

Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm it's forgotten that his time here also was extremely lopsided and for the second half he was largely ineffective, but never substituted or dropped in spite of it.
Hallelujah. An unbiased opinion.
Second half of his loan he was lazy, ineffective and petulant. Very much to type throughout his career.
Good news he doesn't join.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 pm His turn with us last time was sensationally good. Perhaps unrepeatable.
I get that.
Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm it's forgotten that his time here also was extremely lopsided and for the second half he was largely ineffective, but never substituted or dropped in spite of it.
That was my main reason for not wanting him back in the summer.

Yet, I'd have him now, strangely..
Last edited by S-H on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

That is a bit harsh but fairish comment. I remember that drop-off too but had put it down to his long lay-off catching up with him. He arrived fit, but the lack of game time in the preceding months would have had an effect somewhere, and I think it did show in the later performances.

Still a quality player.

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm Hallelujah. An unbiased opinion.
Second half of his loan he was lazy, ineffective and petulant. Very much to type throughout his career.
Good news he doesn't join.
He was available - i.e. not injured - for perhaps 20 games (give or take) and was unavailable for one of the cup matches, given the opponent.

He scored 9.
He won more than one penalty.
He had a handful of assists.
Among a crowded field of other great performers, he was probably MotM more than once.

I don't recall any laziness or petulance. Can't you give us a better steer of when that arose?

Loading 9 goals and all the rest into half the matches only really undermines your basic argument about how effective he truly was.

In the win at The Hawthorns, right at the end of the season, possibly when he knew he wasn't staying anyway, he played in Antonio for a strike that determined the match.

He was brilliant when he was with us.
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

He was never lazy or petulant that's clearly bait - he definitely was less effective in the last 5-6 games for whatever reason though. Undeniably one of the all time great loan spells - struggling to think of any that would compare.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

He was none of those things, and in April he scored against Wolves, Leicester x2 and Newcastle. He merely failed to score in any of our 5 games in May, although people seem to forget we had key injuries at this time and didn't get Rice back until the final 2 games vs WBA and Soton. The reality is he merely went off the boil at a time when the team wasn't playing great.
Turtlecharityracer

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 pm He was available - i.e. not injured - for perhaps 20 games (give or take) and was unavailable for one of the cup matches, given the opponent.

He scored 9.
He won more than one penalty.
He had a handful of assists.
Among a crowded field of other great performers, he was probably MotM more than once.

I don't recall any laziness or petulance. Can't you give us a better steer of when that arose?

Loading 9 goals and all the rest into half the matches only really undermines your basic argument about how effective he truly was.

In the win at The Hawthorns, right at the end of the season, possibly when he knew he wasn't staying anyway, he played in Antonio for a strike that determined the match.

He was brilliant when he was with us.
Some comments on his thread. I guess I'm not the only one who doubts him. Don't have short memories.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought for the last few games that he has only been on the pitch because of his profile rather than his form. Has been anonymous but seems to get away with being subbed.

He was pretty awful tonight. But don't worry chaps, it was all a carefully orchestrated ploy to get his value down from £60m to £750K

I was worried that Lingard had basically lost interest

Antonio and lingard the worst tonight.

Fella was appalling tonight. Should have been subbed after 60.

He was awful. No idea why it has to be so extreme either way with this guy. He’s had some brilliant performances for us and some pretty dire ones

Either he’s had his purple patch and this is now him or he’s distracted. He just not showing for the ball like he was and he’s playing simpler football. He’s not standing up and leading as he was before.

I'm not writing him off at all, but in the last couple of games he's been no better or worse than Benrahma. Maybe the funds in the summer could be better spent elsewhere

now we aren’t too fussed if he stays or not?

Been saying for a while that his attacking has dropped off

I want to see a big performance from his against Brighton today. He's been practically a ghost for the last 3-4 games

I thought he played really well for about 3-4 games and the last 3 not so good

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that those opinions were expressed doesn't mean I have to now change mine, irrespective of what you're implying about short memories.

The next frankly simple fact is that he got close to 1 goal every 2 matches; his arrival gave the whole team new impetus.

He was on loan and massively exceeded sensible expectation of him.
Turtlecharityracer

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:12 pm The fact that those opinions were expressed doesn't mean I have to now change mine, irrespective of what you're implying about short memories.

The next frankly simple fact is that he got close to 1 goal every 2 matches; his arrival gave the whole team new impetus.

He was on loan and massively exceeded sensible expectation of him.
Respect your opinion. I was just pointing out that I am not the only person to doubt him.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Edit wrong thread
Last edited by El brooko79 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Many, including myself, have doubted whether signing him permanently would be a good idea.

But what can’t be doubted is what he gave us last year. Most on here were very underwhelmed when he signed but he massively exceeded expectations.

Another thing I can’t stand is when his personality is questioned. He’s had so much bad press in the media which really wasn’t fair at all, yet some people choose to believe it and even make some random things up about him themselves.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

seems a professional player to me. he needs to do what is best for him and what man utd let him do.

if he joins great if not never mind.

plenty out there for us to sign if we want to !
Colonial Marine
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Colonial Marine »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 pm He was none of those things, and in April he scored against Wolves, Leicester x2 and Newcastle. He merely failed to score in any of our 5 games in May, although people seem to forget we had key injuries at this time and didn't get Rice back until the final 2 games vs WBA and Soton. The reality is he merely went off the boil at a time when the team wasn't playing great.
:newthumb:
To continue that purple patch indefinitely would mean Lingard being almost a goal a game player.

A midfield-attacker who scores c. 34 goals a season.

There aren't many of them around in the Premier League.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:05 pm Some comments on his thread. I guess I'm not the only one who doubts him. Don't have short memories.
You mean you managed to find some negative comments about a player that wasn't ours on a match thread after a loss?

That's astounding detective work, however did you manage it Sherlock?

What game was it, Everton at home where they had our number and the entire team looked poor?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I disagree that it was extremely lopsided

He arrived and come flying out the blocks and was incredibly good for a good long while. No player maintains that level of performance for twenty games straight. The idea that he was ineffective in the second half of his time here is ridiculous. It didn’t happen.
Turtlecharityracer

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:27 pm You mean you managed to find some negative comments about a player that wasn't ours on a match thread after a loss?

That's astounding detective work, however did you manage it Sherlock?

What game was it, Everton at home where they had our number and the entire team looked poor?
If you read tge post some comments we're talking about numerous games.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

It's a clever method of trolling.

Find an opinion that's spotted around the forum, say, Antonio being too big for his boots or Moyes not being that great a manager.

Go over the top with trolling comments to that end, then when pushed copy and paste the opinions you formed your trolls around from the word document you've had saved for months.

"I can't be a troll, these 5 posts on the Antonio thread for the past two years agree with me! :asleep:"