Back to Work

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: Back to Work

Post by Harlow Hammer » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:51 pm

I had a job all lined up before Christmas.

5k payrise which I thought was excellent.

All set to sign on the dotted line until I read the benefits.

Absolutely pony.

No medical cover, no life assurance and pension contribution non existent.

I’m at the age that these things matter more than the salary. I’m not getting any younger!

So going back to work has been hard. Doing a job and working with people I don’t particularly like. Being stuck at home for 5 days a week is a pain in the arse.

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 473 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:46 am
I thought Dan might have posted on this thread by now.

Maybe he's finally found contentment after all this time. :lol:
Needed a break, so did it the only way I know how - knacker my old account then create a new one when the time was right. And the time IS right to return to shitposting on KUMB 👍

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Post by S-H » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 pm

dasnutnock3 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:16 pm
Needed a break, so did it the only way I know how - knacker my old account then create a new one when the time was right. And the time IS right to return to shitposting on KUMB 👍
Good lad.

Missed you.

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 473 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:32 pm

And, of course, I missed you lot, too. Work, family etc. needed to take precedence, but the worst of it now in the rear-view mirror.

As for "back to work", I felt like I'd emerged from hibernation. Had Xmas-NY off, and became quasi-nocturnal, so the first day back was a jarring experience, to say the least. Fortunately, work's going reasonably smoothly now, after a horror show in December, but that first day or so was... unwelcome.

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 296 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:10 pm

Back at work yesterday, to find that several people on the customer side have taken advantage of two new project managers to try and wipe the slate clean and re-open discussions that we actually closed down about six months ago. One of the new PMs didn't like me just forwarding the email sent by the customer's contracts manager last August agreeing that this was scope creep and he wasn't going to pay for it, apparently the PM had agreed that I was going to write an options paper and price each option and he didn't like being told that I wasn't going to. :winker:

On the downside the vaguely useful PM that I normally deal with has quit and apparently as well as being the architect they want me to cover and support (read babysit) his replacement.

On the plus side, eleven working weeks until retirement and if they piss me off too much I'll walk early.

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 pm

Great being back in an office this week, even if the Holborn/ Chancery Lane area is as dead as a dodo, with boarded up shops and cafes everywhere

dave_l
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by dave_l » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:58 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 pm
Great being back in an office this week, even if the Holborn/ Chancery Lane area is as dead as a dodo, with boarded up shops and cafes everywhere
It is absolutely dead isn't it mate? I'm in once/twice a week and cannot believe how completely silent it all is round there. Still 4 prets open and operating between Chancery Lane and Charing Cross though! Who on earth is using them?

DrVenk
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 103 likes

Post by DrVenk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:34 pm

Eerily dead around Holborn though I'm single handedly keeping Burger King on Kingsway open I think.

Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm

dasnutnock3 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:16 pm
Welcome back Dan.

Here's to reading your s**tposting.

dave_l

Post by dave_l » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm

I’m declining out of hours phone calls from work now. One was requested tonight when I’m putting my kids to bed. The Mrs is in but I’m not going down that avenue of being available at all hours. Mental health took a battering when I couldn’t get away from it so I don’t want to go back there.

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Harlow Hammer wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:51 pm
I had a job all lined up before Christmas.

5k payrise which I thought was excellent.

All set to sign on the dotted line until I read the benefits.

Absolutely pony.

No medical cover, no life assurance and pension contribution non existent.

I’m at the age that these things matter more than the salary. I’m not getting any younger!

So going back to work has been hard. Doing a job and working with people I don’t particularly like. Being stuck at home for 5 days a week is a pain in the arse.
Similar, new job was £10k more but involved travelling round the country, fewer long term benefits and I had to do the sensible thing as where I currently am the pension is great, I can buy shares cheap and they match contributions to both. So long term gain for me won out over short term benefits (or lack of)

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 895 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by EvilC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:27 pm

I'd actually like to be back in the office a couple of days a week. Being at home during the winter is monotonous. I get to leave the office around 4 most days as well, so I still get home in time for dinner with the family and putting the kids to bed.

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 pm

DrVenk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:34 pm
Eerily dead around Holborn though I'm single handedly keeping Burger King on Kingsway open I think.
Most places on Red Lion Street are open and Leather Lane Market was pretty busy today at lunchtime

Hampshire Hammer

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:33 am

dave_l wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm
I’m declining out of hours phone calls from work now. One was requested tonight when I’m putting my kids to bed. The Mrs is in but I’m not going down that avenue of being available at all hours. Mental health took a battering when I couldn’t get away from it so I don’t want to go back there.
Where I am currently working they went through this cycle last year, when things were really in the ****. I normally start soon after 7 and, if I'm deep in something, I might still be working at 6pm. They key factor is that it is my choice and I am free to flex some time when I want to. Part of the "back to green" plan was to schedule daily calls at 8am and 6pm as these were the only time free in everyone's diary - there is a good reason for that of course ;) I attended a couple of calls at first as I (wrongly) assumed these were a one off to kick things off then declared that I would no longer attend calls outside normal hours, unless they accepted that I shifted my hours either earlier or later - so start at 8, normal hours finish at 4.30. There was a lot of pressure and BS from some managers, pointing out that I am a contractor and not an employee was my trump card - not so easy when you're an employee unless you have an union backing you.

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 150 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:34 pm

^^^ too many firms having BS in employment contracts like 'other related duties', or 'outside of core hours'.. arseholes. :thumbdn:

When I worked for a decent electrical contractor back in the day, (apprenticeship) we'd get hourly bonuses like responsibility money, working at height, working below ground, overtime uplift, etc. IIRC, that was the old NJIC contract.
As an apprentice I'd often be taking home almost as much proper sparks were who were on a JIB contract (TBF I was a third year apprentice at the time, almost out and just waiting for my grades to my C&G).

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 895 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by EvilC » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:31 am

Back in the office three days a week from next week. Am really excited about the possibilities for getting COVID that this offers.

wolf359
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 516 likes

Post by wolf359 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:41 am

Just got 'booked' for two weeks supply teaching ICT/Computer Science from the 31st Jan (assuming all the checks get done in time - they are taking a while due to lack of staff). My first work since the 10th September (by choice) .

Be interesting how I feel about it all, said I'd never go back into schools but here we are!

dave_l

Post by dave_l » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:03 pm

Hampshire Hammer wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:33 am
Where I am currently working they went through this cycle last year, when things were really in the ****. I normally start soon after 7 and, if I'm deep in something, I might still be working at 6pm. They key factor is that it is my choice and I am free to flex some time when I want to. Part of the "back to green" plan was to schedule daily calls at 8am and 6pm as these were the only time free in everyone's diary - there is a good reason for that of course ;) I attended a couple of calls at first as I (wrongly) assumed these were a one off to kick things off then declared that I would no longer attend calls outside normal hours, unless they accepted that I shifted my hours either earlier or later - so start at 8, normal hours finish at 4.30. There was a lot of pressure and BS from some managers, pointing out that I am a contractor and not an employee was my trump card - not so easy when you're an employee unless you have an union backing you.
I'm lucky in the sense that I sold my business to this company and have taken up a fairly senior role. I toyed with the idea of taking some time out to work out what I really wanted to do rather than joining up with them but I didn't have enough of a plan to take a drop in wages in the short term. I've been doing what I've been doing for 13 years now which is a form of consultancy and in my mid 30s with 2 kids I'm starting to get serious fatigue with it. In some ways it's varied but in a lot of ways its all the same. In that sense I'm feeling quite 'take it or leave it' about things. A lot of people aren't so lucky.

Samba
Has liked: 1000 likes
Total likes: 370 likes

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:24 pm

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:03 pm
Similar, new job was £10k more but involved travelling round the country, fewer long term benefits and I had to do the sensible thing as where I currently am the pension is great, I can buy shares cheap and they match contributions to both. So long term gain for me won out over short term benefits (or lack of)
A great pension counts for a hell of a lot. :newthumb:

Hampshire Hammer

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:52 am

Samba wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:24 pm
A great pension counts for a hell of a lot. :newthumb:
I stuck somewhere for eighteen years, partly because of the final salary pension and other benefits. I then had the financial security to go contracting and build up cash reserves and savings. Those two factors are what is allowing me to retire at 59 to a reasonable standard of living.

I know several people who chased the highest wage and lived to their income who are now more than a bit jealous as they need to continue working well into their sixties. Sometimes you need to think a bit "boring" and long term when you are younger, but it is not always easy.