The Physical Health Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Re: The Physical Health Thread

Post by r99c »

Not following the discussion but a random tip, that I like to do, is to do random sets of bodyweight exercises at home whenever...

Example - instead of standing waiting for the kettle to boil, do as many bodyweight squats/pushups/situps as you can manage. Or if in an online work meeting but not really talking etc, again camera off, bodyweight squats etc.

Find myself clocking three figures of whatever exercise across the course of the day. Keeps the heart rate up throughout the day and these exercises are a good way to keep in shape. I just stick to squats, pushups and sit ups but you could do stuff like ab wheel rollouts, pullups if you have a pullup bar etc.

Good way to keep up the fitness on top of more normal stuff like going to the gym/going for a run/walking a dog.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Little heads up for those that buy supplements, protein powders, health stuff etc.

Bulk Powders (bulk.com) is currently 45% off everything
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Some minor tweaks to my supplement regime (page 2) and other health interventions (page 3).

1. My 16/8 Intermittent fasting regime has been changed to 18/6 (18 hours fasting, 6 hours eating)

2. Shilajit extract has been removed from my pre-breakfast regime, and chromium picolinate added.

3. Vitamin K2 MK4, Zinc, and Quercetin have been added to my breakfast regime.

4. Melatonin (3mg) and N-acetyl cysteine (700mg) have been added, taken 30 minutes before bed. Melatonin improves sleep quality. Both stimulate glutathione production and have been shown to support immune function and protect against mitochondrial dysfunction. Both have shown benefit against COVID in studies.

5. During symptomatic COVID infection, zinc will be increased temporarily four-fold to 60mg a day for a maximum of 7 days. Melatonin increased to 9mg a day. ALCAR (Acetyl-L-Carnitine) temporarily replaced by L-Arginine (see here).

6. Supermarket olive oil replaced with High Phenolic olive oil. Amount of said olive oil going in my morning smoothie doubled to 20ml

8. Carbs removed from the last meal of the day (I did normally include rice or potato last year and it resulted in me feeling bloated at bedtime. Since removing, I've had no night time bloating at all)

9. No more vaping

So now my smoothie (ingredients on page 3) at breakfast (although I technically eat it at lunch) is now my highest calorie (and carb) meal of the day. My lunch is mid-sized. My dinner is the least calorific meal of the day. An example of lunch would be omelette (5 eggs) with leek, lots of spinach, and a couple of heaped teaspoons of dried parsley. An example of dinner would be a bit of meat and some green veg.

To go with all this I walk with the dog for an hour a day, run every other day, do a bodyweight workout midweek, and a heavy weights workout at the weekend.

I buy most supplements in bulk as it's far more cost effective. Sometimes a years worth in one go. I'd say I spend a max of 40 quid a month. It's funny the amount of people that laugh at me and tell me I'm wasting my money - and then many of these people go out and spend more than this on a single nights drinking or a single meal out.

Anyway - I'm a big believer in being responsible for your own health (although I get that I'm probably a little obsessive about it :)) and think it's something that people should be taking into account a lot more in their everyday lives and not just on their bi-annual visit to the GP. I don't think anywhere near enough people place enough value, spare enough thought, or put in as much effort as it warrants - or when they do eventually have that epiphany, it's often too late. I'm not saying you can ward off all disease forever or become immortal... but everyone should be able to tell themselves that they at least made a best effort.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Had some measurements taken yesterday.

According to the hospital my resting heart rate is 47bpm.

I'm pretty fit but was surprised at this number, they took it twice and was the same both times.

What else could this mean other than I've got a strong heart?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I've always been told that a resting heat beat between 50 - 70 is a very good,strong heart, so only a few BPM down.

Did they seem worried? Below the 50 I would imagine they would want to run a few tests just to make sure, sure you are just one chilled out healthy mo fo though :newthumb:
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:14 pm Had some measurements taken yesterday.

I'm pretty fit but was surprised at this number, they took it twice and was the same both times.

If you're young (or young-ish) and are very fit then that kind of heart rate could just be a sign of a strong heart. If you're not getting any other symptoms (dizzy spells, chest pains, shortness of breath, etc) then I wouldn't worry about it. I assume the hospital didn't voice any concerns?
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

34, do exercise every day, no other symptoms.

They didn't seem bothered but then, I was about to have an operation that they literally cancelled on the day.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Did they tell you why it was cancelled at such sort notice?
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Yeah, the consultant said the operation didn't need doing or that what they were going to do would be pointless, even though I'd gone through all the rigmarole of pre op assessment, covid testing, etc.

Not related to the heart rate at all but it just seemed like they were ready to send me on my way quite casually.

I'm sure my heart is fine, I just wondered if there was something I needed to keep an eye on.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well that sucks on messing you around, but at least no op :newthumb:

Get yourself a £20 ish blood pressure monitor and take your blood pressure at the same time of day (once in the morning/evening), when relaxed, not after exercise etc (don't record 1st reading, record 2nd reading). Monitor it and see what results you get - Will give you peace of mind at the very least :newthumb:
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

My blood pressure was 102/67, so that was fine!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yep, I''ve gone down the wrong path :lol: Although it will tell you if your heart is working at the right rate in that regard.

You worried about it? Dr/hospital doesn't seem to be, if you are, smart watch?
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:14 pm Had some measurements taken yesterday.

Depends how much training you do and of what type. Most competitive endurance athletes: cyclists, marathon runners, triathletes etc. develop hearts with a big stroke volume so it doesn't need to beat as quickly to push blood round the body. My resting heart rate is 43 and I'm 58. Back when I was competitive and training for 4+ hours a day, it was 36. I vaguely remember reading that Chris Froome's is 28. As you as you don't feel faint or dizzy, it's probably normal if you work out for an hour or so most days.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I've had terrible insomnia all week. I've tried pills, lavender on the bedsheets, going to bed early, changing the bedsheets, changing pillows, no blue screen two hours before bed, reading - you name it, I've tried it. Nothing worked,

Last night I went for 4 pints of Estrella down the pub with my mate - my first drink for a week. Come home watched 30 mins TV, was tired ... and went to bed at midnight and slept for 11 hours straight. Felt great today, full of energy and vigour.

Amazing what a few beers can do for you!
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just spent 6 hours in A&E today. Stomach pain to end all stomach pain! Left me curled up on the floor and I couldn't straighten my body at all. Probably the most painful thing I've ever endured aside from a tooth infection. They gave me a small amount of morphine for the pain and in the end I got sent away with a prescription for codeine and some advice to get some gaviscon. Doc said it was just stomach acid. I have to say I'm a little skeptical about that diagnosis.... I have never suffered from stomach acid or reflux in my entire life. Why suddenly today? And why suddenly that extreme?
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

A bit of info for fjthegrey too..... they also put me on the ECG as they were a bit concerned at my heartrate of 48bpm. All came back normal. Just thought I'd mention it as it was a similar situation.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

So you have horrendous stomach pains and they give you medication that constipates you? WTF?
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:43 pm So you have horrendous stomach pains and they give you medication that constipates you? WTF?
Yep and then told me to come back if I haven't had a crap in 3 days.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Jesus wept.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Seriously, forget taking the codeine, you won't have a crap for days... Guaranteed. I've had Crohns over 30 years and I NEVER take it. Paracetemol is just as (in) effective anyway, so take that. (your local A&E sounds weird, maybe see your GP and get a referral(barium followthrough etc,) just to check yourself out.