Rooney at Derby

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

stu1
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Rooney at Derby

Post by stu1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 pm

I’m not the blokes biggest fan but the job he’s doing at Derby is pretty outstanding.

His appointment was discussed when Gerrard was appointed at Villa and I remember a few people claiming he was out of his depth which has proven to be wide of the mark.

Despite barely having more than 12 outfield players on their books a couple of weeks before the season started and being hit with two separate points deduction totalling a huge 21 points, they are only 8 points off safety with 20 games to go.

They’ve given themselves a real chance after taking a pretty incredible 13 points from their last 15. It’s also interesting to note only 4 teams have loss less games than them this season, whilst recently they’ve managed to turn draws into wins.

If he keeps them up it would be a truly incredible achievement. I hope he does it (and doesn’t go Everton).

ironilunga
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 247 likes

Re: Rooney at Derby

Post by ironilunga » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:50 am

stu1 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 pm
I’m not the blokes biggest fan but the job he’s doing at Derby is pretty outstanding.
I think he has done a good job Stu and I would have been one of those in the past that predicted it would fail. Thus far I am wrong.

With that being said I do think that talk of him potentially being a consideration for the Everton job is quite frankly ridiculous. What he has done with Derby does not qualify him to manage a top ten premier league club. If he is recruited based on his time as a player then Everton will have followed the well trodden path of thinking good footballers automatically make good managers.

NedN
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by NedN » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:39 am

I hated, hated, hated him through 95% of his career, but gained some respect for him for how he handled himself late in his career and how he has handled himself as a manager

Early on he always struck me as one of the most entitled players in the league. By the time he finished his career, he appeared willing to play unfamiliar roles if needed, and was clearly willing to put a shift in defensively. I think his time in the MLS is a good example of this. Compared to other big names who came over, he took a head-down attitude and humility into his time in the US. Didn't really act above anyone, played his best and put in a shift (even though he didn't really need to) - it was a stark contrast to someone like Lampard's spell there.

I think the same goes for the difference in attitude that he and Lampard brought to the manager's role at Derby. Rooney doesn't strike me as one who feels like he's above the role or that he is entitled to be a PL manager because of his playing experience. I get the sense he wants to prove himself, and see if he can accomplish something really special by keeping them up (he's done everything else in his career already) as opposed to being willing to jump ship in the way Lampard did (when really he had no right to be given the Chelsea job when he was).

It really hurts me to say this because I hated him so much when he was at Man U, but I guess I respect him now.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 231 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:37 am

Future England .boss ?

funky chicken
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by funky chicken » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:46 am

Don’t like the bloke. But yes, he really has done an unbelievable job at Derby. To keep them fighting with all the points deduction they’ve had and not being able to really spend much money on bringing in new players is not to be sniffed at.

I hope for his sake though he doesn’t make the same mistake Fat Frank made by throwing himself at the first big job that’s offered to him. He is better of staying there for another season or two.

fmgod
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by fmgod » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:54 am

There's a few ways of looking at it, Rooney was diabolical last season, putting it lightly but this season has done well, you can't just forgot one win in 20 or whatever last season

Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Don't like him; never have, never will.

Hope he fails miserably.

pezza20
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by pezza20 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:03 pm

The seige mentality has kicked in at Derby where players are well up for the fight without the manager's guidance.

He is a rather thick twat who can not articulate his way out of a bean can, so please Everton go get him - that would be so ****ing funny. perhaps he can bring his old England team mate who is almost as thick Becks in as assistant manager ...

NWhammer
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by NWhammer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:13 pm

pezza20 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:03 pm
The seige mentality has kicked in at Derby where players are well up for the fight without the manager's guidance.

He is a rather thick twat who can not articulate his way out of a bean can, so please Everton go get him - that would be so ****ing funny. perhaps he can bring his old England team mate who is almost as thick Becks in as assistant manager ...
He's clearly got a lot of football intelligence which he displayed throughout his playing career. Also mentality isn't a sole factor in sporting success so like it or not he deserves respect for the job he's doing

Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:17 pm

If Rooney hadn't been a profesional footballer he would have been "on the rob" in scouse land. I'm sure of that.

One of the best footballers I've ever seen.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 182 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by Wilko1304 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:20 pm

I've been told he's quite nice, and very good conversation if you get him onto something he cares about. Boxing was the one my mate had him on about, he bloody loves his boxing.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 231 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:24 pm

Wilko1304 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:20 pm
I've been told he's quite nice, and very good conversation if you get him onto something he cares about. Boxing was the one my mate had him on about, he bloody loves his boxing.
....and his booze

Mullhull
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by Mullhull » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:25 pm

Phenomonal talent, didn't really perform at big competitions for England.

Loves football, can see him carving a career for himself until someone takes him to the PL and they demand too much too soon.

Look at Chelsea for an example.

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:21 pm

He's got 13 senior players who in most situations would be looking for work in League One and a bunch of academy players.

No "siege mentality" alone is keeping that team within a sniff of safety. He might not have any potential as a Premier League manager but he and Rosenior are doing a damn good job there. Way more impressive than Lampard (and Morris) almost bankrupting them to get into the play offs.

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by vietnammer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:23 pm

fmgod wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:54 am
There's a few ways of looking at it, Rooney was diabolical last season, putting it lightly but this season has done well, you can't just forgot one win in 20 or whatever last season
Comparing with last season, when he was player - manager, the turnaround is pretty spectacular. Finished 2021 with -22 gd and currently on +1.

Derby won't want him to leave.

RayleighIrons
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by RayleighIrons » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:56 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:24 pm
....and his booze

So what?

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 103 likes
Total likes: 369 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:12 pm

Wilko1304 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:20 pm
Not as much as Phil Bardsley does:

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 895 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by EvilC » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:26 pm

When he broke into the team at Everton he had to be taken to one side by the management there as he was riding his BMX to from training and getting a bag of chips on the way home.

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 331 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:27 pm

pezza20 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:03 pm

You can't even spell SIEGE. ......and Rooney is thick? :chin:

ironilunga
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 247 likes

Post by ironilunga » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:34 pm

EvilC wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:26 pm
When he broke into the team at Everton he had to be taken to one side by the management there as he was riding his BMX to from training.
Whatever management said to him I don’t think it stopped him riding old bikes.