January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Long term moves.

Go get:
Jason Knight (AM/CM), £4m
Lee Buchanan (LB), £2.5m
Fabio Carvalho (AM), £5m

Take advantage of Derby’s financial plight and Carvalho’s contract. Loan these players back if you have to until the summer. Then make a couple of moves for players that will impact this season like Lingard, Diallo, etc.

It’s a lot to do in a week, but these are the types of moves we should be making.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:36 pm What more could you do with your life earning £200K a week than you could earning £100K a week? I'll never understand.
Load up on your pension scheme.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

What’s striking about Schick, is aside from a consolation goal against Bayern, and a bunch against Furth (although I’d say the first he scored was probably important to put his team 3 up to kill the game), almost all of the other goals he’s scored this season have been significant goals (at the time he scored them), bringing a game level, putting his team a goal up, or putting his team two goals up.

This isn’t counting the ones which put his side 3 goals up, which I’d also argue are important goals, especially for a team like us :-). He’s not just a goal scorer, he’s a scorer of significant goals, which is a good thing.
D C
Has liked: 1119 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by D C »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:20 pm Why is everyone so anti signing Brereton? We need back up to Antonio and that will most probably/suitably be a promising youngster, not an established Word Star (unless we want to pay £50m for someone like Schick and where would that leave Antonio with the ink still wet on a contract renewal?).

The Championship is probably better preparation for the Premier League than nearly all the European Leagues. Some on here were getting excited in us signing a young striker form the French 2nd League or Cabral from the Swiss League. Imagine a player was named Benito Diaz, who was actually born in Chile and had scored 20 goals for St Etienne this season; the board would be going into meltdown with excitement.
Almost every prolific Championship striker has failed to replicate their form in the PL so i’m not sure how you can say the Championship is better preparation than most of the top European leagues and yes people probably would be excited if we we’re linked with a 20 goal striker who plays for one of the worst teams in Ligue 1

If we have £25m to spend on a forward it shouldn’t be on a back up level lower league striker enjoying a purple patch. We’d need a potential starter for that money
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:36 pm What more could you do with your life earning £200K a week than you could earning £100K a week? I'll never understand.
Would you rather be given £5m or £10m?
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

D C wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 pm Almost every prolific Championship striker has failed to replicate their form in the PL so i’m not sure how you can say the Championship is better preparation than most of the top European leagues and yes people probably would be excited if we we’re linked with a 20 goal striker who plays for one of the worst teams in Ligue 1

If we have £25m to spend on a forward it shouldn’t be on a back up level lower league striker enjoying a purple patch. We’d need a potential starter for that money
Fair comments, but you dont get much of a striker for less than £20m. I'm not sure that I would agree with the inference that scoring goals in Lique 1 is more difficult than in the championship.

I think that we are looking for a back up/heir to Antonio rather than a replacement. Our 1st 11 is a match for most, but apart from 3/4 options the drop off to our other senior players is huge.
Kakophonix
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Kakophonix »

HoustonHammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 pm Go get:
Lee Buchanan (LB), £2.5m
Fabio Carvalho (AM), £5m
And the same time let us keep moaning that West Ham cannot hold its 4th positiion...
Premier League is the best and richiest league in the world
Premire League teams more and more attract fans and TV stations all around the world
London Stadium capacity of 60,000(!) is sold out

Premier League is big. If you want to stay in PL, you must think big. There are literally no easy matches. We see it every week.
So if you want to stay in TOP 6 in this super league...you should probably think super big...
I would understand Burnley or Norwich are having such ambitions like above. New signings for WestHam must be all immediate starting 11 or at least immediate alternating players...not the ones like Kral...Vlasic is on the very edge.

And for those who call for Areola to replace Fabianski immidiately...You have in Fabianski the goalkeepr with 2nd highest number of saves in PL...just think about it for a while :chin: :winker:
Last edited by Kakophonix on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1583 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Schick and Cabral would be my first choices but from that interview its unlikely Schick will be coming.

Unless Moyes has persuaded him and explained how he'd actually fit.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

DublinDave wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:55 pm Twice as much..?
An old friend and builder used to do work round 2 Spurs' players houses in the early 00s, both then-current players. Both had so much cash they had a completely skewed concept of reality. One used to get his underwear (socks and pants!) dry cleaned and would give my mate a £50 note to go out and get milk and told to keep the change.

The other player, my mate was moving a chest of drawers and the top drawer came slightly ajar, and it was literally filled from top to bottom with bundled notes. Of course, he may have been exaggerating but I'll also remember those tales. :grin:

There was a 'secret' PL footballer who confessed during lockdown that he'd earned so much from the game by his late 20s that he literally gave his full salary away to charity (I believe). I don't think he was even supposed to be a big star. Some speculated on here that it might be Snodgrass based on the clues. So, I've always wondered how important mega salaries are to players.

Seriously, if I was being paid £100K a week, I would have no need for anything extra ever unless I was helping out my family, had grandiose plans to set up schools like some footballers have done (Craig Bellamy?), and/or put to big, selfless endeavours.

Sorry, I'm digressing... :winker:
The Straw
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 1409 likes

Post by The Straw »

HoustonHammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 pm Long term moves.

Go get:
Lee Buchanan (LB), £2.5m
Fabio Carvalho (AM), £5m

Take advantage of Derby’s financial plight and Carvalho’s contract. Loan these players back if you have to until the summer. Then make a couple of moves for players that will impact this season like Lingard, Diallo, etc.

It’s a lot to do in a week, but these are the types of moves we should be making.
Really like this idea. Three players with great potential and minimal outlay. It only takes one of them to really kick on and it's worth it. It's kind of how Spurs pushed on from around 2004 when they were buying players like Dawson, Lennon, Rose, Roudtledge, Huddlestone, Robinson, Carrick, Defoe etc. And then a bit later getting Bale from a cash-strapped Southampton. A lot of those signings were from clubs in turmoil so they got favourable terms. The players listed above are definitely worth considering, with the obvious caveat that we also need to bring in a couple of players who can come into the first team immediately.
QLDHammer
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by QLDHammer »

NedN wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 pm (although I’d say the first he scored was probably important to put his team 3 up to kill the game)

This isn’t counting the ones which put his side 3 goals up, which I’d also argue are important goals, especially for a team like us :-).
If signing Schick means we go 3-0 up a lot then I don't want him! Far too dangerous a scoreline for us.
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Remember reading somewhere Carvalho was not starting any contract/transfer talks until he ditched his agent and signed with "super agent mendes"
DublinDave
Has liked: 2746 likes
Total likes: 1776 likes

Post by DublinDave »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:12 pm An old friend and builder used to do work round 2 Spurs' players houses in the early 00s, both then-current players. Both had so much cash they had a completely skewed concept of reality. One used to get his underwear (socks and pants!) dry cleaned and would give my mate a £50 note to go out and get milk and told to keep the change.

The other player, my mate was moving a chest of drawers and the top drawer came slightly ajar, and it was literally filled from top to bottom with bundled notes. Of course, he may have been exaggerating but I'll also remember those tales. :grin:

There was a 'secret' PL footballer who confessed during lockdown that he'd earned so much from the game by his late 20s that he literally gave his full salary away to charity (I believe). I don't think he was even supposed to be a big star. Some speculated on here that it might be Snodgrass based on the clues. So, I've always wondered how important mega salaries are to players.

Seriously, if I was being paid £100K a week, I would have no need for anything extra ever unless I was helping out my family, had grandiose plans to set up schools like some footballers have done (Craig Bellamy?), and/or put to big, selfless endeavours.

Sorry, I'm digressing... :winker:
I'd blow it all on coke & high class Hookers personally, but each to their own...
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Has there been a firm link to Schick today or have I missed something?
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:20 pm Why is everyone so anti signing Brereton? We need back up to Antonio and that will most probably/suitably be a promising youngster, not an established Word Star (unless we want to pay £50m for someone like Schick and where would that leave Antonio with the ink still wet on a contract renewal?).
For me this epitomises the difference between what Moyes wants and what most on this board would settle for.

Moyes is looking for competition for Antonio not someone who is clearly not as good and is, in essence, a bench player who might make a few appearances in the odd cup game (“but we must play our best team” I hear the cry) and to be an inadequate replacement if Antonio is injured. If that is their role and they are young how do they ever improve?

If a new signing relegates Antonio to the role of substitute then so be it.
Colonial Marine
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Colonial Marine »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:47 pm Has there been a firm link to Schick today or have I missed something?
What's classed as a firm link?

Genuine question, I assume all links are bollix but I guess some must be runners...?
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Brereton has had 1 good half a season in the championship, Mitrovic has had 4 great seasons in the championship but has proven to be crap in the premier league...
Toney was incredible in the championship last year but hasn't really done much...
Why do people think Brereton would be better..? Surely there's better ways to spend 20 mil..?
He's a punt at best & long odds in my book...
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Colonial Marine wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 pm What's classed as a firm link?

Genuine question, I assume all links are bollix but I guess some must be runners...?
C&H have Hugh bemoaning the lack of leaks in a piece tonight, apparently Moyes is putting his career at risk...
Well worth a chuckle read...
We're not being run like a circus & only links are coming from agents, take that how you will but I'm delighted no one knows our business except the people that matter...
The Straw
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 1409 likes

Post by The Straw »

DublinDave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:02 am C&H have Hugh bemoaning the lack of leaks in a piece tonight, apparently Moyes is putting his career at risk...
Well worth a chuckle read...
We're not being run like a circus & only links are coming from agents, take that how you will but I'm delighted no one knows our business except the people that matter...
I wonder if websites like that will continue to operate when the ownership changes hands. Quite damning if they don't.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:47 pm Has there been a firm link to Schick today or have I missed something?
As far as I'm aware, the only recent link came from Major. Not sure anything has been reported in the press or on social media, unless I've missed it.