January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:39 am The bits and pieces this morning are about Lewis-Potter (Hull), Carvalho (Fulham) and Cadamateri (Sheff Wed). That's basically an U23 team attack.
If you cannot find the right ready made solution then grow your own. I can get behind that.

Now for three pages of "this isn't what we were promised when we moved" and "if we just spend £120m this window then we can cement our place in the top four" etc etc.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

LEWIS POTTER looks ok but I wnder how much he would cost £20m ?
carvaleiho is around the 5m mark

I still cant believe we havent got a defender in yet. we are leaking goals against everyone bar norwich !
we need a LB and I would say two CBs , one must be a LCB .

no way are we dropping 40m on schick ! 40m is more than our total budget !

LB CB CF

minimum requirement a CB and a CF !
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1518 likes

Post by NWhammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:39 am The bits and pieces this morning are about Lewis-Potter (Hull), Carvalho (Fulham) and Cadamateri (Sheff Wed). That's basically an U23 team attack.
Lewis-Potter looked a real handful the other night against Blackburn. Think we could do with another winger option off the bench.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MB wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:49 am If you cannot find the right ready made solution then grow your own. I can get behind that.

Now for three pages of "this isn't what we were promised when we moved" and "if we just spend £120m this window then we can cement our place in the top four" etc etc.
I don’t think anyone is asking for us to spend £120m. Rather they are acknowledging that spending nothing whilst trotting out Dawson and Diop will not get us where we want to be. I doubt it would cement us a Europa League spot.

Carvalho and Lewis-Potter are entirely perfect players to be looking at bringing to the club. It’s a progressive strategy. But it’s no good having all this attacking talent if you still have Dawson and Diop playing.

We need a CB, badly. We let in a couple of goals every game pretty much. We score a lot.

There are numerous suitable CBs out there, they all cost a decent wedge and I don’t see how fans are being unreasonable to ask that we be the team to spend that wedge on one.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we tried the 120m route with pellegrini and that didnt end well with numerous big money disasters haller 42m anderson 45m yarmolenko 22m

I would be happy with buchannon from derby 3m at LB
caletta carr loan and philips 12m
traore 20m

would like kamara for 6m as cover for rice and soucek but we cant be greedy !
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

We. Will. Sign. Players.

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Lewis-Potter at least makes some kind of sense. As we’ll be a winger light when Yarmolenko leaves us in the summer. But Carvalho predominately plays in the attacking midfield role doesn’t he? So I don’t see exactly where he fits in seeing as we already have Lanzini, Fornals, Vlasic and even Benrahma who can all play there.
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 am We. Will. Sign. Players.

:crylol:
MB

Post by MB »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 am There are numerous suitable CBs out there, they all cost a decent wedge and I don’t see how fans are being unreasonable to ask that we be the team to spend that wedge on one.
Suitable centre halves who will slot straight in? I've seen lots of posts about X player in France or Y player in Spain. How does that usually work out?

Longer term we need an option there. If we could get a proven premier league experienced centre half in this window then I agree that would go a long way to helping secure European football. I'm less convinced X or Y from abroad would.

With Zouma back Dawson or Diop isn't really a problem. It is only Dawson AND Diop where the problems start.

We have a manager who is looking beyond the next three games. I'm as frustrated as anyone about the short term impact of that strategy, but Rome wasn't built in a day (but half of it burnt down in a day...)

Trust the manager to deliver consistently in the league and then what we do or don't do this season is irrelevant.
woodford
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 am We. Will. Sign. Players.

remember which thread you're on....

We 3m
Will 25m
Sign 10m
Players 2m

sell Yarmolenko 50m !!!
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Brereton-Diaz has been called up to play for Chile next week.
So would reckon he is away from Weds next at the latest.

So to get a decent medical this would need to be done early next week. So atleast this one can't drag on.
S-H

Post by S-H »

So $1m
Sorry £32m
Woody €3m
fir $12m
Failing €3m
you £500k
Hayden £11m
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MB wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:11 am Suitable centre halves who will slot straight in? I've seen lots of posts about X player in France or Y player in Spain. How does that usually work out?
Yes. I can list a dozen or so if you like?

Rome wasn’t built in a day but I bet if they needed a suitable alternative to Michus Antonius up front it wouldn’t take them two years to identify him!
MB

Post by MB »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:19 am Yes. I can list a dozen or so if you like?

Rome wasn’t built in a day but I bet if they needed a suitable alternative to Michus Antonius up front it wouldn’t take them two years to identify him!
A dozen with premier league experience who we could sign tomorrow? Go on that should be fun...

The Rome analogy is about looking long term. There will always be shortages and set backs, but if the long term position is improvement then you are winning.

The short termism that has set in is one of the worst legacies of GSB. We used to be builders...
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

All the hush hush secrecy around.......nothing? Preparing a list of targets.......only one and not available? All the investment in experienced scouting set up and 3+ months planning for.......maybe Phillips on loan, a Championship player and last minute bargain? Although we don't need yet another AM, at least Lingard woul;d be something

Impressive.
Last edited by Hamburger on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
S-H

Post by S-H »

If Man Utd are wary of strengthening us, I wonder if they will loan us Phil Jones.

All jokes aside, think he would be a decent option for half a season..
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:19 am Yes. I can list a dozen or so if you like?

I’m not so sure, WiFi was notoriously slow back then..it made YouTube clips very boring. They improvised by transferring stills onto floor tiles to improve things.
The scouts had to travel by boat everywhere.
Games were called off at no notice as clubs couldn’t field teams due to locusts and frog issues.
They tried iv iii iv formations, but eventually settled on v iii ii.
Noble made is debut I recall. He played for the Moyesiah.
😁
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MB wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:29 am A dozen with premier league experience who we could sign tomorrow? Go on that should be fun...

The Rome analogy is about looking long term. There will always be shortages and set backs, but if the long term position is improvement then you are winning.

The short termism that has set in is one of the worst legacies of GSB. We used to be builders...
But why on earth do they need Premier League experience? To me that just reeks of myopic thinking. I'm not saying you are a myopic thinker by the way mate, just that point specifically. There have been tons of defenders from abroad that have come in and been excellent. The league is full of quality players from just about everywhere and every league now.

There's nothing short term about bringing in a high quality centre back from a league that isn't the Premier League. I am confident I could give you a dozen names, including a couple from the Prem, that are immediately and long-term better than Craig Dawson and Issa Diop.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I miss the days of seeing how high we could piss up a wall.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:32 am They tried iv iii iv formations, but eventually settled on v iii ii.
I enjoyed this :grin: